Plot Disaster - Help

• 11 Replies

Size66

Plot Disaster - Help
« on: July 20, 2006, 12:24 »
Maybe its beyond help - ive had a 5 week illness and havent been able to get to my plot - i went last night and its unrecognisable - the weeds and nettles are full covering and are chest hight - ive found the cabbage, lettuce and some potatoes - what shoul i do ? scrap it this year or spray with round up and start again, rotovate through - im at a loss - was rally looking forward to a summer in my manageable plot - it was perfect before i was ill :(

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
Plot Disaster - Help
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 12:43 »
Sorry to hear you've been ill and hope you are now fully recovered. It is disheartening to go back and find everything overgrown. Don't give up  !!!!! I know it's easy for me to say but just look at it this way you've found some plants so everything is not lost. Clear the weeds from around what you can find. Sounds like a job for long sleeves and heavy gloves. Hopefully you will get some harvest Where you can't find anything get an early start on the autumn digging at least that way you are ahead of the game for next year. Why not clear ground for spring cabbage sow them anytime now, japanese onions from sets Octoberish i think and overwintered broad beans.

Good luck
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

Size66

Plot Disaster - Help
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 12:46 »
Thanks - fully recovered now. I'll start clearing ground around what i can find at the week end - it wont be pretty but it will be serviceable. its a shame when i think back on how great and clean it looked. there is only 6 plots on my ( private site ) and all the other guys seem real pros'

rugbymad40

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.activeights.co.uk
[B]Fear Not[/B]
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 13:00 »
If the produce is still growing don't despair.  First job is to weed around the veg so that they have room to grow.  As soon as you have finished weeding give them a good watering.

Tackle the other weeds with shears or a strimmer - take care if they have flowered/seeded to burn the tops so as not to spread seeds for next year (one years seeds give seven years weeds - or so I have learned from this wonderful web-site) The roots of these weeds should be treated with a proprietary weedkiller - talk to your local garden centre for advice on one for use around growing veg.  Or just dig them out

Once your veg realise they are still wanted and you start to tend them again, they will respond.  Still plenty of time to get more stuff in as well.
There is nothing like being outside at this time of year to perk you up if you have been ill.  I trust you and your plot will make a speedy recovery - good luck and best wishes
Enjoying the traditional ways and values of life.

Fafafifi

Plot Disaster - Help
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 13:10 »
After I had my plot for a few months I had an operation and then just as I recovered from that I got pregnant so ended up not doing anything with the plot for over a year.  When I managed to return to it, it was a complete mess, totally overgrown.  To be honest I just felt despair when I saw it.  I decided that because there was basically nothing growing on it apart from some herbs and 2 artichokes, that I would just get it ploughed and start again.  

To ensure I wasn't met by a weed invasion again I covered the parts of my plot that weren't cultivated with black plastic.  

I'd do what Celtic Eagle suggests, salvage what you can, clear some space and get some more crops in.  Then maybe cut down the rest and cover it, or spray as you suggest (but don't cover if you spray - what I was told by our site secretary, something to do with the sun helping the action of the weedkiller?) so you can control the weeds and work your way through the plot at your own pace.

Good luck though and glad you are better!

mixdiver

Plot Disaster - Help
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 13:47 »
Look on the bright side, if there are loads of weeds growing after 5 weeks the soil must be nice and fertile. When you do get it under control it will be very productive!
I have taken over a plot that was left vacant for 7 weeks  due to the death of its previous tennent and the weeds were waist high! Having to dig the whole thing - Hard work but very rewarding hope to have it under control by the end of the month and have a very productive season next year. Have managed to get runner beans in, but they are going to be late!

Best of Luck

Mixdiver
Digging away to keep the weight down!

Oliver

Dn't despair!
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 16:57 »
Quote from: "mixdiver"
Look on the bright side,

There is a lot of excellent advice and support on these posts so there is nothing to add apart from saying hope you are better now and just carry on - conquor the weeds, there is always next year! Good luck. Oliver
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

Size66

Plot Disaster - Help
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 16:59 »
Thanks for all the advice - i guess this weekend is spent sweating in breeches clearing the growth

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Plot Disaster - Help
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006, 09:13 »
Just one thing to add - if these weeds aren't too established - a hoe will make the job easier. You need 2 things, a hoe and a file or stone to sharpen it. Just push and pull the hoe slightly under the surface clearing abck as you go.
It's amazing how much you can clear with a hoe without knocking yourself out.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Oliver

Hoeing
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2006, 09:20 »
Quote from: "john"
It's amazing how much you can clear with a hoe without knocking yourself out.
Yes John - excellent advice. They hoe often - as soon as a weed appears it is chopped down (or pulled up if its perennial). And hoeing also 'cultivates' the soil. If you water a lot with a watering can the surface of the soil sort of hardens and the water runs away wetting only the very top. If it is loose then water sinks in faster and goes where it should.

We all pray for rain! Why is it that it always rains when yo don't want it and ...

Size66

Plot Disaster - Help
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2006, 09:32 »
I have an old fashioned hoe which is a contraption with a central wheel, about 12 inches diameter. there are also 2 hoe type blades attached either side which as you push the thing forward the blades glide about 1 - 2 inches below the soil surface.

the link below is some thing similar but mine is about 60 yeras old

http://www.allsun.com.au/WheelHoes.html

Oliver

Hoeing
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2006, 10:52 »
Quote from: "Size66"
...wheel, about 12 inches diameter. there are also 2 hoe type blades attached either side which as you push the thing forward the blades glide about 1 - 2 inches below the soil surface.l

They also have something similar - very old- a pole thing to push with numerous attachments - 'plough' 'hoe' 'cultivator' 'sower' - all probably fine for a very large plot as quite a lot of space is needed between rows for access etc. (I've got a lovely card from a friend who laughed himself silly at his own joke when he saw our hoe! I must dig it out and post it!)

So, Size66, just invest in a 'modern' straightforward pole with a d-shaped metal bit on the end (dutch how, or push hoe) and hoe away with that! Proably a bit more elbow grease is needed than wheeling something along, but just think how those muscles will come along! Not to mention the cleansing of the pores on the brow ... :?

Take a look at this site for some fine pictures!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/gqt/hoe.shtml

xx
Disaster after disaster this year

Started by rugbymad40 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 30, 2007, 00:25
by leeky
xx
Oca disaster

Started by Steveharford on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post December 25, 2014, 11:25
by Markw
xx
Oh No! Disaster of not?

Started by suesowsseed on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 22:40
by hindy
xx
disaster

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 14, 2011, 15:47
by Trillium

Page created in 1.566 seconds with 29 queries.