Blackening of Tomato Leaves

• 8 Replies

slow_worm

• Experienced Member
« on: July 02, 2007, 13:22 »
Help - Have my toms got blighted?
The lower leaves all appear to have been turning black is this a sign of blight?
There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature? the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after winter. -   Rachel Carson

milkman

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 14:56 »
Nope, I would say unlikely - this is a habit which some toms have - some of mine are doing the same thing - lower leaves turning purpley-blackie in colour - have planted them out (very long overdue), fed and watered them this weekend and mulched them with a thick layer of compost, so hopefully they will perk up and do what they're supposed to do  :)
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

nobby

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 20:39 »
dont worry about the leves
its yousuly better to take off the lower ones ennyway

BAK

• BK This and That
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 07:38 »
I have blight on my maincrop potatoes and the first signs of it on my outdoor toms appeared on Sunday. The tell tale signs are dark splodges on the upper side of the leaves about the size of a 1p coin.

Remove and destroy any diseased leaves and spray with bordeaux mixture every 10-14 days.

slow_worm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 13:44 »
All the stems and fruit gone black/brown too!  On 2 plants outta 12 seem to be doing OK, they are 6 different varieties 2 of each... all the plants look pretty much dead now no green bits left!
Luckily my spuds were earlies so have lost their foliage.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 16:36 »
Reckon you got a mould infestation, with all this damp weather we are all suffering here with our toms, its a constant battle cutting out infected leaves/stems to try and keep them going.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 16:47 »
Yes, but if the fruit have gone that colour too, sounds like blight to me, my outdoor toms did that 2 years ago,, and that's why I don't grow many outside anymore.  If it's blight, you'll find those bad toms will go rotten very quickly!  Hope its not though for your sake!!!

slow_worm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 13:21 »
It is grannie annie - BLIGHt has struck... shame really my dad gave me 12 plants only 2 look like they might pull through... guess its grow then under cover next year.

Ali

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 23:18 »
This year's a disaster. Last year I thought I had blight but actually don't think I did. I'm sure it is this year though - spuds foliage has all died. Spuds seem OK, but almost zero crop from Pink Fur Apple. And I think my toms have it too!! Add to that bolted onions, slugged beans and salad, birds eating the peads, dodgy saved seed from the pumpkins and courgettes all becoming marrows because it's too rainy to get onto the plot often enough, and I'm having a bit of a bad time at the moment. On the plus side, did get some cucumbers for the 1st time!

xx
tomato leaves

Started by jarigo on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 16, 2009, 23:33
by jarigo
xx
Tomato leaves

Started by Benny130 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 13, 2015, 16:11
by Benny130
xx
tomato leaves

Started by sootypaws on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 23, 2007, 07:26
by DD.
xx
Tomato leaves

Started by lilou on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 23, 2009, 03:31
by Trillium

Page created in 0.493 seconds with 36 queries.