Tiny Garlic

• 4 Replies

Ian_P

• Experienced Member
Tiny Garlic
« on: July 02, 2007, 10:06 »
My garlic is tiny!

Last year I managed to get 4-5cms bulbs, all with multiple cloves.

This year most are 1-2 cms and some have only one bulb.

The only difference, apart from the weather, was the depth I planted them.

Last year I had no instructions on the packet so I planted like shallots, with the neck just at the surface. This year with a different brand, the packet clearly says (and I still have it) plant 3" below the surface. Even I thought this was a lot so I compromised and planted the bottom of the bulb 3" below the surface.

They never showed up at the top and when I dug them up they were rubbish.

Did I suffocate them?
Ian

Feeding the mini-beasts of Hampshire

mushroom

Tiny Garlic
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 10:26 »
From what I've read, garlic doesn't like the wet! Is it wet where you are? In last 2-month period, we have had >250% of average rainfall.

WG.

Tiny Garlic
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 13:39 »
When did you plant Ian?

milkman

Tiny Garlic
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 14:44 »
My garlic has done okay this year.  I had to dig it all up over the weekend as the tops were starting to look ropey and mushy and those tiny black slugs that you get were starting to look rather too interested for my liking - what with that and the rust I considered I was in danger of losing the plants altogether.

I've set it out to dry on a wire rack in the garage, and hopefully we get a blast of hot dry sunny weather soon to dry it all properly (...staring into the distance wistfully...).

I always plant my garlic nice and deep in the autumn, probably even deeper than you Ian, and mulch the bed with compost.  Not sure what went wrong with yours - could have been time of year you planted - they need as long a period of cold as poss to set the individual cloves and we had quite a warm winter which may have stopped them developing properly.  Better luck for next year's harvest.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Tiny Garlic
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 23:08 »
Mine will go in at the end of October, I give the bed a good dressing of bonemeal then plant a few weeks later, I normally moan about our dodo sandy soil but for once I find it great as it never gets really wet like the clay soils and the garlic always do well.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

xx
stored garlic has tiny bugs

Started by spocke on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 14, 2012, 13:57
by LilacSandy
xx
Bindweed grows from tiny tiny root left in the gound

Started by gavinjconway on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post May 30, 2012, 20:50
by sunshineband
xx
tiny

Started by flowergirl on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post October 16, 2007, 12:13
by agapanthus
xx
Tiny tomatoes

Started by Rich72 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 27, 2011, 12:07
by Rich72

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 38 queries.