General Purpose spray for Fruit trees?

• 1 Replies

Maryann

• Experienced Member
General Purpose spray for Fruit trees?
« on: July 31, 2010, 13:50 »
Hi everyone
I was wondering if anyone on here can advise of a spray for fuit trees that covers most pests and most types of tree.

Both my son and I have fairly new trees (his planted last year) and ours this year. They are all growing well and he has quite a bit of fruit this year - apples, cherries & plums. Ours wont do anything until next year but we also have apples, cherry, plum & pear trees.

Both lots are suffering from a variety of pests and the leaves on his apple tree are looking very sick indeed. All curled up and dead. I took all the green fly off every time I watered and thought I had managed to beat them but now are trees are also looking poorly.

When looking up the conditions on the web you are bombarded with a variety of pests & diseases and potential cures which as total amateurs trying to be organic is bewildering.

Is there such a thing as a 'general purpose' spray which would help our trees to survive and can we use it now or is it too late as we go into August?

Any help much appreciated.

MA.
I Came.....I Saw......I Composted

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: General Purpose spray for Fruit trees?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 17:15 »
If you want to be organic I would suggest a bug spray based on either pyrethum or fish oils.  Most garden centres will have both and the sprays for fruit & veg tend to be in green spray guns.  You can use them on all fruit and veg - the only time not to spray your trees is when they are in flower as the sprays can damage the blossom and of course wash your fruit before eating it just in case  ;)

The first is a plant extract but is totally non-selective and will kill all insects so people usually spray early morning or early evening to minimise the risk to bees.  The second works by clogging up the breathing holes in aphids, but doesn't usually kill anything bigger.

You may find ants are farming the aphids - if you see them running up and down the trunks of your trees, also ask the garden centre for grease bands to put round the trunks.  Ants scare off predators like ladybirds and protect the aphids, so if you get rid of them, that can also help  :)

xx
is there a Bee-friendly spray against Codling Moth for my fruit trees?

Started by plum crumble on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 23, 2014, 07:22
by plum crumble
xx
general purpose compost i did a soil test.

Started by LILLILEAF on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 29, 2020, 09:50
by rowlandwells
question
General Purpose Compost vs Growbag Compost

Started by Willow_Warren on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 31, 2012, 21:33
by Lawrence
xx
Victoria Plums and fruit in general

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 09, 2011, 23:29
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.477 seconds with 29 queries.