Old lady with a skin problem!

• 6 Replies

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
Old lady with a skin problem!
« on: July 31, 2010, 09:53 »
Hello everyone,
It's been a while since I last posted so hope everyone who has helped me in the past is well!

Bess, my oldest black silkie, maybe well over 6 years old, not sure as she was an adult when I got her, has a skin problem that I've not seen before. I noticed one eye closing slightly but no scratching, no discharge etc although the skin around it seems very dry with a fine white powdery look to it. Today, I decided to gently bathe the eye and gently moisturise the area. I noticed that she is scaley round the back of her neck and possibly losing feathers but this may be her moult.

She's eating etc and potters around with the others but does stay in bed longer than the younger hens in the morning! At first I put it down to her age but now I'm not sure. Today I gave her a spray of Frontline, just in case although there was nothing obvious lurking amongst her feathers!

She's a lovely old girl and I'd like to help her if I can...no point going to the vet here as they don't really do vets and chickens in France!

Judi

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Old lady with a skin problem!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 12:47 »
there are a few illnesses that can show as raised follicles which make them appear scaly - do you have any antibiotics just in case?
I will look in some books shortly to see what I can find  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 14:56 »
Hello Joyfull,

Yes I have some oxytetracycline powder which I got a while back for a peacock with a runny eye. I'll give her a day or two before I give her any, unless she gets worse, as she had the Frontline today so I don't want to overload her with chemicals. With the peacock, the vet told me to put a little of the powder directly onto fruit etc to give it to him, as I couldn't be sure he'd take it in water and holding him would have been too stressful for him. Would you do the same for a hen or mix it in water. I think there are quantities and instructions and the antibiotic is for the large poultry producers so should be ok , but not yet read the quantities etc.

I can't find anything in my poultry books that fits her condition.

Judi

joyfull

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 16:56 »
She may have scaly face or scaly leg mites - treatment with a good insectacide such as ivermectin etc. Make sure your coup has a good clean out and disinfect it too.
Take a look at this web page (I know it's for avery birds but still covers the same problem), although the photos do show it in a very advanced stage.

http://www.avianweb.com/scalylegs.html

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 20:17 »
Thank you for the information Joyfull. Thank goodness she doesn't look anything like that! There are no raised or crusty areas on her face at all rather it looks as though her black skin is getting lighter...so hard to describe..it looks powdery but it isn't, the texture is as normal.

She doesn't see very well, been a problem for a while but I put it down to her huge fluffy top knot but looking at the eye that seems to be closing up a bit...Can hens get cataracts as that's what it looks like?

I'll keep a close eye on her..maybe it's just old age.

In case I have to get her some antibiotics, what would you use as the powder I have looks horrid so I wouldn't use it! It would be good to keep some in anyway ...just in case.

Thank-you,
Judi

joyfull

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 21:12 »
I have 3 different types of antibiotics here
1) Aureomycin which is a broad spectrum anti b and is chlortetracycline hydrochloride and dyed is green colour that you mix in water. This one sounds like it may be similar to you anti b and like mine yours is a broad spectrum anti b,
2) Denegard which is a liquid to dilute in their water and contains tiamulin hydrogen fumerate it also contains 2 preservatives,
3) Tylan soluble which is tylosin tartrate.
Not sure if any of these would be right for your girls problems as I am not a vet.
I would keep bathing her eye (cold tea is supposed to be good for this) and keep a close eye on her. Hens can get cataracts with age and also as a symptom of illnesses and also a lack of vitamin E.

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 15:52 »
Thanks Joyfull, will post later to let you know how she goes on and tomorrow get something from the vet as a "just in case" fallback! I'd like to keep a selection of products as generally we have to treat our birds ourselves as the vets don't seem to know much and think we're odd that we don't just dispatch a sick bird!! We had a dove with a wing problem and had to go miles to see a vet who knew about birds, only to find that he didn't! Again we're nursing this bird ourselves but have thought that a drugs armoury might be useful! Do you know if there is such a list for folks out in the sticks like us?!

Judi

xx
chicken with skin problem

Started by phillp on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 07, 2008, 09:36
by phillp
xx
Do they get dry skin?

Started by gracie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 16, 2011, 09:03
by joyfull
xx
Red skin

Started by moomoos42 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 15, 2012, 07:45
by Mum2mj
xx
Red chicken skin?

Started by SnooziSuzi on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post October 04, 2007, 11:15
by muntjac

Page created in 0.278 seconds with 38 queries.