anyone show their veg at local shows? i have a few questions

• 31 Replies

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
Re: anyone show their veg at local shows? i have a few questions
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2010, 21:19 »
Well, Show is over for another year!!

Great day had by all.

Zippy, no need to apologise, i see where you're coming from if the show is an allotment site show I imagine the politics can be a pain.  This is our county show, so no commitee favouritism after the event.  I think it all helps to encourage people to grow/bake/make their own, and to me, thats a good thing.

It's a great show with the emphasis (and big prize money) on livestock -  cattle and sheep especially. Show jumping and other horsey things.

There are craft competitions, photography, amazing quilts, There was even an attempt at the World record for Sheaf Tossing!

The veg section was quite small when i first went 4 years ago. Big increase in the numbers getting involved this year (no surprise).

Great family day out.
Liv.

Siouxfly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2010, 23:17 »
We've an allotment site show on 12th Sept its all for fun and proceeds help things like cost for shale for paths etc. I shall go in for 4 potatoes and the most unusual veg. I would have gone in for sponge cake but it has to contain at least one ingredient grown on site. As I have no fruit to make jam and no chickens and not sown my crop of wheat or sugar beat this year and the invisible cow did not play ball I'll have to give it a miss unless I can rustle up some jam from courgettes!! :D

You could enter a lovely carrot and courgette cake if you grow them?  ;)

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2010, 08:48 »
We've an allotment site show on 12th Sept its all for fun and proceeds help things like cost for shale for paths etc. I shall go in for 4 potatoes and the most unusual veg. I would have gone in for sponge cake but it has to contain at least one ingredient grown on site. As I have no fruit to make jam and no chickens and not sown my crop of wheat or sugar beat this year and the invisible cow did not play ball I'll have to give it a miss unless I can rustle up some jam from courgettes!! :D

You could enter a lovely carrot and courgette cake if you grow them?  ;)

Oooh, actually yes - now I think about it I too have recipes for chocolate beetroot cake, and loads for chocolate cake made with potatoes. Do the rules stipulate "Victoria sponge", or just sponge cake?

Zippy

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2010, 18:35 »
You could enter a lovely carrot and courgette cake if you grow them?

I would love to be able to grow Carrot and Courgette Cakes - which bed in the rotation should they be planted and how much space do they need?

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2010, 08:08 »
You could enter a lovely carrot and courgette cake if you grow them?

I would love to be able to grow Carrot and Courgette Cakes - which bed in the rotation should they be planted and how much space do they need?

Well for a start they will only grow with a very hot temperature, so no good for this country!  ;)

Spana

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2010, 08:20 »
I love show day :) This is ours last Friday :)

[

« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 08:22 by Spana »

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2010, 08:46 »
Looks fabulous, Spana!  Wish we had one like that here.

Years and years ago (I must have been about 10), I used to enter the local show (this was an allotment society one in London).  Mum was a keen flower arranger and I used to have a hack at the crafts, cakes and flower arranging.  I used to really enjoy it.

I do remember how serious the veggie people took their entries, they were quite impressive.

The closest I ever got to the veg classes were the "make a model out of fruit and vegetables".  :D

Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

diggerjoe

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2010, 09:03 »
The rules do say a sponge cake so if the carott and courgette cake has a spongy texture I'm in - anyone have the recipe. I do have pumpkin jam left from last year mainly because everyone hates it :D and I have to agree it is a very sweet jam with an earthy taste that does need a bit of getting used to.

Love those pics Spana our site show is a lot more rustic than that :nowink:

themoog

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2010, 20:31 »
Grrr, very envious! Not of the veg, but people wearing shorts and summer frocks  :mad:.

It's been peeing it down (or completely overcast) and temperatures barely making 20 degrees here for the last 6 weeks  :(.
My music teacher was right. If you have to make a mistake, make it good and big and loud; with a bit of luck people will think that it was always meant to be like that.

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2010, 21:19 »
PennyS, that's  my favourite category. Junior Section - 'make an weird animal or insect from fruit or vegetables'

See below
weird animal or insect from vegetable.jpg

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2010, 08:10 »
Love it!

I have a confession: we had a "model out of veg" section (it had to be a mode of transport) in the village fete craft show this year, and I won... I was a bit gobsmacked.  It was by far the most poplar class and obviously people love making stuff out of veg!!

My kids also got prizes in the children's section so we were all quite chuffed.  
I didn't take a picture but I did a narrowboat out of a cucumber. One of my girls made a canoe with grape canoeists and the other did a car.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 08:12 by PennyS »

GreenOwl

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2010, 16:20 »
I entered our village show for the first time last year and won a cup!  For handicrafts not veg growing although I did some certificates for my veg.  One of my entries in the handicrafts section was a knitted teddy (got a 1st!).  I noticed this year that the soft toy category now excludes knitted and crocheted items.  I'm scuppered now!  :D

I went to the farmers market in the nearest town this morning and saw a sign for their show and for about 10 seconds I thought about entering and then sense kicked back in.  I grow for flavour and home use.  I entered the local show to support it and for fun (and will again this year.)  Entering other shows is taking it way too seriously.

weirdsowing

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2010, 16:32 »
Diggerjoe - you could make jam from your courgettes by using a marrow & ginger jam recipe.

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2010, 20:34 »
The rules do say a sponge cake so if the carott and courgette cake has a spongy texture I'm in - anyone have the recipe.

Can't vouch for it because I haven't used this recipe, but I just Googled and this one popped up - looks delicious! There are loads more out there ......

http://www.farrington-oils.co.uk/recipes-10.html

diggerjoe

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2010, 11:14 »
What a coincidence Chris23005 that recipe uses oil that I bought a bottle of last week - trial run this weekend - will post taste test

xx
Local show results

Started by fatcat1955 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 05, 2010, 13:42
by fatcat1955
question
Shows

Started by Marshall on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 24, 2009, 21:23
by janette
xx
Poor season for shows?

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 23, 2015, 19:55
by New shoot
xx
vegetable shows in yorkshire

Started by duncan on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 12, 2007, 19:31
by black diamond

Page created in 0.595 seconds with 38 queries.