anyone show their veg at local shows? i have a few questions

• 31 Replies

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
That time of year again,  and i'm showing a few veg i've not tried before, wondering if anyone can give me some guidance.

(Before anyone takes offence, its only a bit of craic, and i grow to eat not, to produce perfect or huge specimins for the show)

1. 6 beans on a plate. I'm showing french beans. Will get the best matching six, but how long is too long. (its not a LONG bean category)

2. mix of veg. I'm including curly kale, should i put in a bunch of leaves or harvest the plant and include the 'head'.
Im also including a bunch of chillies, any clever way to bunch them together.

Any guidance most welcome.

Liv.

alibean

• Experienced Member
Hi! Well, I'm no expert but have had a go at the local show, so ...

French beans - would depend on the variety (best to always put this on exhibit as seems to get extra points)   If a climbing bean would go for about 6 inches, but if a dwarf variety would aim for about 4

As for Kale, would go for the whole head (just tidy up it's bottom, so to speak)

Bunch of chillis?  Perhaps tie them up with some raffia (if tops left on), alternatively display them is some sort of 'spray / pinwheel' to maximum effect.  I would be careful about using sand etc unless specified in the show guidelines.

Mmm - as for a bit of a craic - you'd be surprised how competitive it gets!  (I certainly put a few noses out of joint last year with longest runner bean..........)   Good Luck!

paintedlady

I've never entered anything in our local show but I try & make a point of going as all proceeds from raffle ticket sales, entry fee and proceeds from sale go to a local charity which I support.  Rules for how to enter produce (including size and quantity and how it needs to be displayed) are normally readily available from the show organisers and several copies left at the allotment shop/sheds which specifies exactly how they should be presented.  I think it's lovely to see people of all ages entering (including children) and I don't think it is at all offensive to want to show off your produce  ;)

Good luck with the show - hope you do well  :D
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Zippy

'can't abide them and I go in by the back gate when the allotment have their open day as well! I grow to eat and eat to grow.

Pompey Spud

Quality post Zippy...anyway.

Check the rules to begin with but with french beans; make sure the beans are not bulging and you snip them off with the 'hook' still attached. ie.snip as close as to the the stem as possible.

I'm showing a few things and was peparing my onions a few weeks back to dry them out.

Will also show garlic, toms if they change colour, courgettes etc. Ours isn't serious just fun but there are nice cups and trophies etc. The raffle is good and it gets most people from the allotment movement in our area together.

Money raised goes into the local society's coffers and to local charities. Good job the vast majority go through the front door.
Top tip for camping....don't go.

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
Yup Zippy, that's exactly why i included a disclaimer in my oriinal post!!

Thanks everyone else, some very usefull advice. Much appreciated.

Ruby Red

Hi Livvy. Im entering some of my produce in the village show as well. I cant see how strongly some ppl find it objectionable. Ive also made some jam that Im entering and Ive decided to have a go at the "WI recipe for Victoria sponge" lol. Its just harmless fun.
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

themoog

• Experienced Member
Just got the list for ours. Nice and woolly, no 'rules' as such, just categories such as 'jar homemade jam', 'homemade sponge cake', '3 potatoes - red' and '1 cauliflower'. Even I stand a chance  :lol:!

There's also an intriguing 'themed flower arrangement - Battle of Britain'. The mind boggles  :blink:!

My music teacher was right. If you have to make a mistake, make it good and big and loud; with a bit of luck people will think that it was always meant to be like that.

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
I don't understand it either Ruby Red.  I've asked questions on here (about showing veg) for the last two years around this time, and always there is some kind of a 'backlash' from someone.

Your brave to enter the baking, i've avoided it completely, too many excellent Irish mammy bakers!

Best of luck with your entries. Post back your results!

Salmo

Re: anyone show their veg at local shows? i have a few questions
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 00:17 »
Just got the list for ours. Nice and woolly, no 'rules' as such, just categories such as 'jar homemade jam', 'homemade sponge cake', '3 potatoes - red' and '1 cauliflower'. Even I stand a chance  :lol:!

There's also an intriguing 'themed flower arrangement - Battle of Britain'. The mind boggles  :blink:!

You need to be a little bit carefull with these woolly no rules. Many shows will follow RHS guidelines which advise judges on how to judge. Points are given for such things as presentation and condition as well as size and how well they match. Cookery is often to WI standards and with jam, for instance, labels have to be in the right place and wax paper discs must be present inside the lid.

Does anyone know if the RHS handbook is anywhere online?

Zippy

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 08:16 »
No backlash intended - apologies if any misunderstandings.

I just think that flowers are for the table and veggies are for the pantry. I also have a suspicion that how well you do at a show has a lot to do with how well you do with the committee over the rest of the year leading up to the competition; which is why I choose to opt out.

I wish anyone who wants to involve themselvees in shows every success and may you always have the right coloured jam jar lids.

themoog

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 14:47 »
Luckily we have no such aspirations to grandeur here Salmo.  It's just our local allotment association and we're all just a bunch of peasants :lol:!

Salmo

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 15:36 »
The peasant members may have no aspirations of grandeur but I bet the judges are still guided by the RHS little book.

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 15:49 »
Well I think it is all a bit of harmless fun!!! Our local show is next weekend but we haven't entered this year - want to go and see what the expectations are this time round! However I have tried the "suggested" recipe for the "fruit loaf" category - baked it twice and to be honest I think I've got a better recipe myself. Just not sure if "suggested recipe" really means that or if I am expected to use the one given. Hmmmmmm, will find out next week when I go and eye up the competition  :D :tongue2: 8)

I am STILL thrilled that what I have grown this year is actually ending up on my plate anyway, so I think I am a winner anyway!

diggerjoe

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 17:10 »
We've an allotment site show on 12th Sept its all for fun and proceeds help things like cost for shale for paths etc. I shall go in for 4 potatoes and the most unusual veg. I would have gone in for sponge cake but it has to contain at least one ingredient grown on site. As I have no fruit to make jam and no chickens and not sown my crop of wheat or sugar beat this year and the invisible cow did not play ball I'll have to give it a miss unless I can rustle up some jam from courgettes!! :D

xx
Local show results

Started by fatcat1955 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 05, 2010, 13:42
by fatcat1955
question
Shows

Started by Marshall on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 24, 2009, 21:23
by janette
xx
Poor season for shows?

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 23, 2015, 19:55
by New shoot
xx
vegetable shows in yorkshire

Started by duncan on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 12, 2007, 19:31
by black diamond

Page created in 0.888 seconds with 36 queries.