Potato Results 2010

• 178 Replies

PennyS

• My website
Re: Potato Results 2010
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2010, 08:02 »
Erm I got a bit mixed up about what I planted where...

I can report though that

Marforna, Maris Peer, Saxon, Pentland Javelin and Maris Bard have all done well!
I think the Saxon were the really good ones but I'd happily grow all of these again.

Luckily I kept better track of my maincrops!

Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

greenhead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2010, 10:19 »
Grown three types this year: 1st early - Latona, very good crop no damage from slugs or wire worm, at least 3lb per plant.  2nd early: Charlotte - a good crop, no damage, yields good.  Main Crop: Lady Balfour - too early to say but only about half grew, the remainder looked Ok when planted (well chitted) but never grew on, no sign of the seed when investigating.

Can someone offer any clues as to what happened to my Lady Balfour's.

Snoop

« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2010, 12:16 »
I grew three types this year:

Charlottes - sold as first early in France. About 15 kg off 20 seed potatoes. Excellent flavour.

Manons - sold as multi-purpose second earlies in France. Not sure if you can get these in the UK. Yield about 40 kg off 60 seed potatoes. Very good size. Very firm texture. Delicious, nutty flavour. Make the best chips I've ever cooked!

Vitelottes - purple potatoes sold as late maincrop in France. Excellent colour uncooked, disappointing when cooked. Texture somewhat rubbery. Difficult to peel as small and knobbly. Flavour undistinguished. Crop this year looks to be poor.

boosh

« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2010, 17:13 »
Haven't had a blight problem, just a fox and rat one  >:(  :( . so all i can say about quantity is poor  :( due to creatures beyond my control.  >:( . Taste wise the Foremost have been exellent  :) , Charlottes none  >:( .
Have to wait and see about maincrops, they have been got at.................. :(
for the record they are the 3 variteys of Mayans.

WirralWally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2010, 21:36 »
Been away for 4 days.
Returned to find one plant dead, brown and keeled over at the end of one row of Desiree.
All other plants still green and erect.

Dug it up to find out what was happening below ground.
Found eighteen large, round, healthy, undamaged, WHITE potatoes.
(Desiree are red skinned)

I'm guessing that, somehow, I managed to get one of my second early Maris Peer seed potatoes in with my maincrop ones. I have no idea how that may have happened because they were kept apart whilst chitting and planted at different times.
I prefer to think that my seed potato supplier screwed up.
I'll never know the answer but, at least, it has amused the family.  :D
The successes and failures of each year keep me motivated for the following year.

totalnovice

• kates allotment adventure
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2010, 23:39 »
Perhaps more people should buy the test to check if they really have blight before they start panicking..............just a thought.

http://www.pocketdiagnostic.com/products/136

Thanks! I'm gonna stock up on these. I think i might be a bit paranoid... :wub:

Who? Me? Never. :tongue2: :wacko:
Kate
Always thankful for advice!

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2010, 10:16 »
Charlottes have been great - 3 rows planted, 2 rows eaten so far. The plants are still growing and the spuds are getting very big.

Maris Peer, Pink Fur Apple and Desiree all growing well (5 rows in total). I have furtled and spuds look great so far!

Charlottes (for Christmas) growing in a plastic sack doing well - the plants are 3" high and looking strong.

No complaints from me  :D
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

Havengore

« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2010, 20:51 »
Dug 1st two plants of Orla.  Very impressed.  Made nice baked spuds and wedges.   Also, pulled up first feed of Charlotte.  I thought they were supposed to be small spuds!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2010, 21:04 »
I've had bakers off Charlotte & I know others have also.

Blooming tasty as well!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Lardman

« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2010, 18:59 »
Setanta : Spud database info

Terrible : Very low yield : 5 egg sized spuds , covered in scab, plants look to be going down to blight already. Certainly looks like it to me and the old bloke next door, I'll confirm in a day or 2.

And to add insult to injury they turned to mush in the water when boiled.

Grown here id give them 3/10.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 23:27 by Lardman »

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2010, 00:22 »
Lady Christl, 1st time grown but seemed to be a good crop and real tasty, pest and discease free :
Charlotte, real nice when young and small, still as tasty as they grow, put a sack full into store too, cant wait to try them baked
Desiree, very good, large crop and hopefully will store aswell as they have before.
Picasso, only lifted 1st plant tonight but looks promising, my favourite for chips and roasties

Over all a great year for spuds for me and will stick with these 4 next year

Salmo

« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2010, 09:34 »
Premier- first early. Tops hit by frost. Never really recovered. Poor yield and unexiting to eat.

Charlotte-second early. Tops hit by frost. Bounced back quickly. Good yield with smooth skins. Lovely waxy potato. Won first prize with charlotte 2 years running at local show.

Isle of Jura-main crop. Only just started these. Good yield with 9/10 good sized potatoes per plant. Flowery texture with good taste. Still have plenty of top and continue growing.

Pink fir apple- Late main salad. Just dug two plants. Looks like good yield with impressive root system. Not yet fully developed but taste wonderful.

jabailey

« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2010, 10:37 »
Grew Lady Christl and Foremost as FE, all family agreed that Lady Christl was the superior of the two: Charlotte as SE, superb. Cara and Picasso as maincrop, both looking good at the moment.

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2010, 22:08 »
My crop this year has been abysmal - International Kidney and Desiree mainly.  But have just dug up some Pink Fir Apple and they were wonderful - asbolutely delicious.  This is the first time I have grown them and they are definitely a must from now on.  That's the salad spuds dealt with - now please could I have some advice on the best to grow for (1) baking (2) roasting and (3) mashing?  I know Maris Piper are the best for chips but I can't stand all the messy frying - we get ours from the chippie  :)

Starling

• Experienced Member
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2010, 22:11 »
I heard picasso were good for baking which is why I am growing them, another couple of weeks before they will be ready though.

xx
Potato Results - 2009

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

238 Replies
Last post November 28, 2009, 19:33
by jenny53
xx
Results

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post August 16, 2006, 15:42
by Oliver
xx
THE RESULTS ARE IN!

Started by celtbhoy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 27, 2007, 08:24
by celtbhoy
xx
Poor tom results

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 21, 2012, 21:42
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.535 seconds with 38 queries.