Potato Results 2010

• 178 Replies

DandG

Re: Potato Results 2010
« Reply #90 on: August 17, 2010, 16:09 »
Only planted Charlotte and Maris Piper this  year given poor size/yield of king Edwards last year.  All plants this year burned by frost and it has affected yields, all plants harvested now as slugs starting to make inroads.   

Charlottes were good size but 6-8 per plant.
Maris Pipers yield was good but size down on last year - less of the biggest more marbles.

Pompey Spud

« Reply #91 on: August 18, 2010, 10:33 »
My rows of Foremost and Homeguard were damaged by frost and so yields were low. Tasty though.

Blue Danube, Kestrel and Winston were grown in tubs with good results but need to water more.

Charlottes were absolutely brilliant and will grow loads more rows of this tasty spud.

Shetland Black were poor.

Cara are still in the ground but normally reliable.
Top tip for camping....don't go.

diggeraok

« Reply #92 on: August 19, 2010, 16:43 »
Just dug my Kestrels - excellent crop, but a bit scabby in places. Wonderful chipper and well worth growing.

digalotty

« Reply #93 on: August 19, 2010, 18:30 »
21lb of king edwards from 5 plants, another 20 plants still in , i am amazed how many are on each plant and some good sized tatties in the bargain
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #94 on: August 20, 2010, 09:15 »
Very pleased with my haul so far - Pictures are Maris peer from 8 plants and Desiree from 1 plant (digging the other 20 plants up over the weekend). All a good size and going into storage for the winter.  :)
maris peer 2010.jpg
desiree 2010.jpg
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

japagow

• Experienced Member
  • A yard a day.
« Reply #95 on: August 20, 2010, 18:40 »
Maris Piper main crop excellent taste and good yellow colour

Nicola salad main crop tasty white but dry weather effected yield.

Mice ate them in the garage when they chitted. They are obviously discerning rodents who don't sink their teeth into just anything.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #96 on: August 20, 2010, 19:49 »
Just dug my Kestrels - excellent crop, but a bit scabby in places. Wonderful chipper and well worth growing.

Fabulous crop of kestrels, too.... lots of nice big spuds with lilac markings. Taking some to DD's tomorrow to have with venison for dinner  :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #97 on: August 20, 2010, 19:51 »
but he's away in Jersey  ::)  :lol:
Have a nice time  ;)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #98 on: August 20, 2010, 19:55 »
but he's away in Jersey  ::)  :lol:
Have a nice time  ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: more for the rest of us then  :nowink:

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #99 on: August 22, 2010, 13:47 »
Second early British Queen harvested today. Decent crop again (for big bags), nice and clean. Boy, am I looking forward to trying these! I've heard great things about them, so I'll let you know. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #100 on: August 22, 2010, 18:36 »
Second early British Queen harvested today. Decent crop again (for big bags), nice and clean. Boy, am I looking forward to trying these! I've heard great things about them, so I'll let you know. :)

Brilliant roasties!  :happy: Soft fluffy inside, with really good crispy, crunchy outside and edges almost as though they were rolled in semolina flour a la Nigella cheat mode! ::) I will make chips out of them too, my really healthy chips will be lovely with this potato, I'm sure. I don't think, bearing in mind the texture that they will be worth having as boiled....

This potato gets a huge big yes vote!

:)

digalotty

« Reply #101 on: August 22, 2010, 18:55 »
had my king teddy's for dinner and they are superb,   i have grown 8 varieties this year and i have only been realy impressed with these and my charlotte first earlies

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #102 on: August 22, 2010, 19:26 »
had my king teddy's for dinner and they are superb,   i have grown 8 varieties this year and i have only been realy impressed with these and my charlotte first earlies

I thought we were OTT with seven varieties!  :lol: Still Lady Cristl and British Queen for me! :D

dead eye dave

« Reply #103 on: August 22, 2010, 20:19 »
Epicures- first earlies- massive crop but quite late, very very tasty and now all eaten/ given away
Roosters- was unexpectedly impressed by the flavour of these common potatoes, really excellent
Edzell Blues- great flavour, lovely white flesh, medium -small potatoes but some of them were blue all through the flesh (which put some folks off)
Maris Pipers and Maris Peers- small yields, small potatoes, great flavour (loads left in the ground)
Pink Fir Apples- massive yield form each planted potato, great size of potato and amazing flavour, my favourites along with the epicures
King Eds- poor yield, small potatoes, some still inthe ground to see if I can improve them
Kerrs Pink- medium yields so far, smallish potatoes but great flavour, plants went very weird/ yellow/ black/ blue....dunno what happened
Some other type whose name escapers me.....shamefully enough bought them as eating potatoes form M&S and couldnt resist plaitn a few...have red/ white/ blue skins....didnt do very well, small pototoes, small yield, ok taste but not worthe the effort and risk...

Went a bit mental with the varieties......but it was worth it, and the old Irish grandfather was very impressed and reminisced about his days as a boy working on a farm growing potatoes...and them he remebered loads of groiwng tips which I am going to try next year......the power of the potato!!!

lightyears

« Reply #104 on: August 25, 2010, 13:06 »
my main crop finally died down after 26 weeks in the ground, ive started line 1 of 5 today and got 40KG(not sure of the pounds lol) 4 lines to go, im growing Cara as my mains and they are like little footballs.brillent for winter jackets

xx
Potato Results - 2009

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

238 Replies
Last post November 28, 2009, 19:33
by jenny53
xx
Results

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post August 16, 2006, 15:42
by Oliver
xx
THE RESULTS ARE IN!

Started by celtbhoy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 27, 2007, 08:24
by celtbhoy
xx
Chili results.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 25, 2022, 18:55
by Mr Dog

Page created in 0.915 seconds with 38 queries.