Potato Results 2010

• 178 Replies

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
Re: Potato Results 2010
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2010, 15:10 »
grown Nadines this year and had really nice big spuds but i was expecting a slightly higher yield per plant but maybe i had high expectations. however, i am impressed and will be growing them next year. i have a big problem with worms and i had no holes or damage to the spuds. Will also grow Cara next year too.

tontom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2010, 18:09 »
1st early- Pentland Javelin tasted great and a decent crop , will grow  next year i think . 2nd early Maris Peer - still eating them and very tasty boiled and again a decent crop, try again next year !!!!!!!! Maincrop- Desiree , still in ground and not tried yet but grew them last yearand was impressed with a decent crop and good taste and a good storer, if they are ok this year then i will definately grow next year. Iv'e never had any trouble with damage so far in 2 years so far so fingers crossed. :)

totalnovice

• kates allotment adventure
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2010, 19:54 »
firsts were international Kidney - taste good, nice and firm but low yield. I accidently had a couple of Maxine as new potatoes (thanks to my toddler swapping them around whist they were chitting ::)) and they were really good! great flavour, really nice texture and more potato per plant than the international kindey.

I had to take the tops off these plants as there was a case of blight next door, took them off about three weeks ago now.

Mains - Maixine.  Yet to try as a main crop. left the tops on and risked blight but came away safe (so far)
Kate
Always thankful for advice!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2010, 20:01 »

I had to take the tops off these plants as there was a case of blight next door, took them off about three weeks ago now.

Are you sure it was blight? The nearest reported case to our area is in Wolverhampton, some distance away and this was discovered 2 weeks after the case you mention.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

purplebean

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2010, 20:36 »
so far

rocket - low yield, tasted OK but overall I was disappointed
red duke of york - yield on the low side but tasted good will grow again
charlotte - reasonable yield, excellent flavour have grown before and will again, we had some of these tonight  :D

several varieties still to come

diggerjoe

« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2010, 08:52 »
Bambino in pots yield and flavour not the best but I did neglect them somewhat. Collen very good 2nd early good flavour and the yield not bad about 10 per plant and considering the plot is very very dry  I think its one for next year. About 6 other varieties mainly main crop but out of all the Blue Danube foilage us the best . Looking forward to Red Cara and Remarka. One strange thing I planted some spare seed spuds in pots and emptied one to find a seed spud still rock hard chits had gone never had that before variety was Markies have some of these up the plot so I may give them a look this week.

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2010, 12:37 »
So far

Aron Pilot  - excellent again this year - cooks well without breaking up
Charlotte – good crop but had a bit of scab
Still have International Kidney to come, first time of growing them.
Paul

JohnB47

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2010, 14:17 »
My first year growing earlies. A bit disapointed by the quantities but I think this was due to the very dry weather this year.

Vanessa - almost tasteless.  :tongue2:
Maris Bard - tasteless.  :tongue2: :tongue2: I won't bother with either of those again.
LadyChristl. Pretty good taste but I lost two to blackleg. Might grow again.
Kestrel - very good taste, a bit scaby. Cooks like a King Edward. Will grow again.

Planning to grow Kestrel and Charlotte next year.

King Edwards looking like they are ready (major foliage die back). Picasso just beginning to die back.

maverick

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2010, 16:43 »
Pentaland Javelin - not a great yield but a nice potato

Maris peer - a better yield and again a good flavour

Charlotte - a very good yield and they made very nice eating

King Edward - I panicked yesterday as the foliage did not look right at all - this happened very quickly and I was convinced it was blight as we've had so much rain here and it has been warm / humid. Anyhow - the upshot was that I had an excellent yield from about 8 seed potatoes and having cooked a few last night - they were lovely. One thing I noticed with these was that holes had been made by millipede's (I think) and tiny slugs were enjoying themselves in quite a few. My son and I checked each spud for holes and those were cleaned and will be eaten tonight. The rest were left to dry in the sunshine that we had yesterday and I hope will keep for a while?

totalnovice

• kates allotment adventure
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2010, 17:21 »

Are you sure it was blight? The nearest reported case to our area is in Wolverhampton, some distance away and this was discovered 2 weeks after the case you mention.

No 100% sure no, :unsure:, but last year my crop was pretty much ruined and i couldn't store any so i think i may have been a paranoid. Still, I wanted to be safe rather than sorry as didn't want it on the plot 2 yrs running, may risk getting a build up in the soil. My main crop are fine, but then no harm has been done to the new potatos still in the ground either.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2010, 20:33 »
New shoot, some of the people on our site had blight-like symptoms and have cut their spud tops off like you did.

Better safe than sorry in my book  :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2010, 20:48 »
Perhaps more people should buy the test to check if they really have blight before they start panicking..............just a thought.

http://www.pocketdiagnostic.com/products/136

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2010, 21:28 »
A good thought  :)

andy135

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2010, 21:47 »
Perhaps more people should buy the test to check if they really have blight before they start panicking..............just a thought.

http://www.pocketdiagnostic.com/products/136

Thanks for that, mum.
Order placed.  :)

kingdhesiii

• Experienced Member
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2010, 02:22 »
Pentland Javelin - 7/10 Heavy cropper, ok for taste but nothing special.

Charlotte 10/10 - Reliable as always and king in terms of taste, so creamy. !!!! !!!!
Woooooooooooooo

xx
Potato Results - 2009

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

238 Replies
Last post November 28, 2009, 19:33
by jenny53
xx
Results

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post August 16, 2006, 15:42
by Oliver
xx
THE RESULTS ARE IN!

Started by celtbhoy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 27, 2007, 08:24
by celtbhoy
xx
Chili results.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 25, 2022, 18:55
by Mr Dog

Page created in 0.524 seconds with 38 queries.