Potato Results 2010

• 178 Replies

veggirl

• Experienced Member
Re: Potato Results 2010
« Reply #165 on: October 07, 2010, 11:13 »
Just dug the rest of the main crop, which, according to the label I found in the shed was Majestic. Got a total of four stone - estimated by the old boy next to me. He also insisted on carrying them to the car for me! Aren't people amazing? I only have one question - how did the potato label turn up in the shed, when the shed has only been up for three weeks?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #166 on: October 07, 2010, 12:13 »
must have been stuck in/to something else that you put in since the shed arrived  ;)

TheSpartacat

« Reply #167 on: October 07, 2010, 12:17 »
Cara – good size tubers and I’m happy with yield (about 8 kg from 5 plants – is that good or just average?)

The only thing with them is they have quite rough scaly skins. I was expecting them to be smooth but only one tuber has any area of smooth skin at all. Is it possible that it’s scab? The scab I’m used to looks more like the second picture and is just I patches.

Anyway - they were lovely scrubbed and baked last night!
Hi... Not sure what that is on your potatoes, but my Lord Rosebery potatoes had the same thing- looks like they all suffered from dry skin!! Haven't worked out what it is yet... But you're not alone.
They still tasted great though- just gave them a scrub with a wire brush which took most of the skin off.
Would love to know what is the cause of this "potato eczema!"

rainbow1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #168 on: October 07, 2010, 14:14 »
Remarka - OK crop of OK tubers (bit scabby)
Golden Wonder - total disaster. Tubers all have some sort of disease - rotten stinky patches and when you touch a tuber pussy stuff erupts from these areas. Not nice.  :(

bluealf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #169 on: October 10, 2010, 18:27 »
Well first things first, sorry I havnt been on here for an absolute age (illness and injury) but we have kept the lotty ticking over just.

We had 3 types of Tatties in this year.

Charlotte = Very poor this year, not a great taste and all manner of shapes. I'm blaming the late winter and extra dry then wet spring.  :tongue2:

Kestral = As good as last year, superb chipper/roaster beats maris piper hands down for me.

Bambino = We got them free with the above, high yield and good round shape good boiler.

Hopefully me the wife and I can stay fit and healthy this year and I can get back into the swing of it again.

:)
Carlisle

TheSpartacat

« Reply #170 on: October 11, 2010, 00:33 »
Realised I hadn't updated since I first started digging them up with the Maris Peer! Oops!!!

FIRST:
Lord Rosebery- tasted ok, (kinda went mushy when boiled so stuck to steaming) yield ok, but had a kind of scab i've not seen before- scaly skinned. Also had swollen lenticles so don't know if the two are connected. Next year wlll grow Sharpes express again, and Lady Christl that everyone seems to love.

SECOND:
Maris Peer... got LOADS!!!! and they were SO yummy! Great flavour, some nice big ones. Still storing well, and they've been up a good month.

Ulster Sovereign- Brilliant yield, No blemishes. Good flavour-between floury and waxy, versatile spud!!  Nice big potatoes too.

And...  :D i thought i had 3 rows of Ulster Sovereign but forgot i had also planted a row of Gladstone!!!  :D
Thank goodness i put a label next to them as they are decidedly my faves from the second earlies, and i'd forgotten I'd gotten them on a whim.
The yield was greater than the U.Soverieigns, or the Maris Peer. Lovely even shaped, nicely sized potatoes, perfect skins- no damage at all...  and the flavour is lovely!!

MAINCROP
Kerr Pink: Happy with yield but not overjoyed... would've liked more! Really love the floury flavour, and since i'm Irish, I grew up eating these and can't buy them anywhere in the shops.... so yup, I may be biased!!!  :D No damage apart from where I speared them with the fork!!! Mostly nice and large.

And NO wire worm damage!!! Yippee!
The plot is newly dug soil- not cultivated in a v long time, so came across an awful lot of wire worm when digging out the brambles- dug the whole area over 4 times picking the little blighters out before planting, so must've gotten most of them out!

The growbags were a washout. Mustn't have had enough water. The Maris Piper did the best out of all. Home Guard the worst. Pink Fir Apple also v v small potatoes- but i'd still grow them next yr but in the ground i think.

themoog

• Experienced Member
« Reply #171 on: October 11, 2010, 11:38 »
I've grown Valor for the first time this year, lured by descriptions from various sources of ther great taste and storing qualities.

Firstly, the yield was poor but that was the case for all my varieties this year. The main problems have been slugs and wireworm (but we had a really wet August here), so I haven't got a single potato suitable for storage. I harvested the Valor and the last of the Desiree (no problems there apart from the yield) mid-September.

I'm also really disappointed with the taste and texture. They're fairly bland and when cooked, seem rather wet and become quite mushy very quickly. There was no sign of blight on the plot.

Is this normal for Valor or might I have better luck another year?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 19:26 by DD. »
My music teacher was right. If you have to make a mistake, make it good and big and loud; with a bit of luck people will think that it was always meant to be like that.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #172 on: October 11, 2010, 17:50 »
I don't know about the particular variety but a common complaint this year for lots of varieties of spuds has been their willingness to disintegrate on cooking ...  >:(
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #173 on: October 11, 2010, 18:54 »
Yup.............i've been stood with knife for prodding, watching them like a hawk.
Newly dug they were difficult to cook, but the ones that have been stored a few weeks are a lot better :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #174 on: October 11, 2010, 19:27 »
I've merged your post into this thread, themoog, as we're trying to collate all the spud results in one place.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #175 on: October 11, 2010, 20:37 »
Dug up our expensivest ever potatoes at the weekend --- congo

They are a gorgeous colour: deep navy blue, with violet inside that stays when they cook. Cook well (no falling to bits for these) and tasted like, well like potatoes tbh

But at £4.95 for five tubers (micropropagated , mind  ;) ) that makes them pricey in my book. :lol: :lol:

Got 2.8kg from three tubers, mainly quite small. Gave the other two away.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

slugwarrior

« Reply #176 on: October 16, 2010, 23:20 »
potatoes grown this year:

anais - fine, tasty
franceline - tasty, prone to the 'comedy potato'
isle of jura - huge yield, tasty but the slugs thought so also-  loads of damage
arran victory - great but not  very high yielding. also produced some comedy potatoes

grew half in the garden and half down the the allotment. garden spuds were remarkably better quality than those from the allotment.  better skin, higher yields. very interesting.

not sure i would grow any of these varieties agin.  like red duke of york, charlotte, sarpo mira and top potato - sarpo axona. described in the catalogue as having a high dry matter content. that was an understatement. first time i have ever had a potato completely explode in the oven when i stuck a fork in. slugs didn't touch them. mind you, not surprising as they seemed to suck all the moisture out of your mouth when you ate them. i loved them. this is not a spud - this is a full on potato experience!

chriscross1966

• Experienced Member
« Reply #177 on: October 22, 2010, 23:43 »
Remarka - OK crop of OK tubers (bit scabby)
Golden Wonder - total disaster. Tubers all have some sort of disease - rotten stinky patches and when you touch a tuber pussy stuff erupts from these areas. Not nice.  :(

THere are several things that could be but it sounds horribly like tuber blight to me... GW is pretty suscetible to blight anyway .....

cornykev

« Reply #178 on: October 24, 2010, 11:45 »
All my Cara are out the ground now and the size and quantity was OK but about 15% was slugged but still got used when I cut the bad bits out.    :D :D :D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU

xx
Potato Results - 2009

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

238 Replies
Last post November 28, 2009, 19:33
by jenny53
xx
Results

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post August 16, 2006, 15:42
by Oliver
xx
THE RESULTS ARE IN!

Started by celtbhoy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 27, 2007, 08:24
by celtbhoy
xx
Chili results.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 25, 2022, 18:55
by Mr Dog

Page created in 1.302 seconds with 38 queries.