Harlequin ladybirds

• 11 Replies

pigeonpie

Harlequin ladybirds
« on: July 29, 2010, 22:08 »
I seem to have acquired a plague of black aphids in the last 24 hours on all my beans.  I went out to spray them tonight but whilst doing so found something of more concern...
2 Harlequin ladybirds happily procreating.
I have recorded the find and ask others to be vigilant and to record all sightings so that they can help build a better picture of the problem.

http://www.harlequin-survey.org/

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Harlequin ladybirds
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 22:17 »
they are very common here :( but today I saw some of the 'normal' ones as well :)

pigeonpie

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 22:24 »
I was really torn between squishing them and letting them get on with attacking the blackfly problem.  I opted for the squishing.
They're the first I've seen around here but I gather they are becoming fairly common in the area.  Thankfully we still seem to get a fair few of the good old style ones as well.

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 00:12 »
Saw some today near Oundle.

Comfortably Numb

• Experienced Member
    • Dung Beetle's Allotment Plots
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 06:23 »
Loads of them here too, but we still see lots of the others as well  :)
Cheers, Comfortably Numb.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long ..........................

Swing Swang

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 07:08 »
We might as well rejoice in the voracious aphid control that they threy are (whilst we lament the lot of the natives).

cob nut

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 12:38 »
We get a lot of both the native & harlequin ladybirds around our garden & lottie.

Springlands

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 12:42 »
We seem to be lucky in Northern Ireland so far - maybe that is why I am seeing plenty of the native ladybirds in my garden but will certainly keep an eye out in future.

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 15:25 »
spotted one the other day munching on aphids, didnt realise it was a diff variety b4 i saw this post  ::)

zazen999

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 15:52 »
I seem to have acquired a plague of black aphids in the last 24 hours on all my beans.  I went out to spray them tonight but whilst doing so found something of more concern...
2 Harlequin ladybirds happily procreating.
I have recorded the find and ask others to be vigilant and to record all sightings so that they can help build a better picture of the problem.

http://www.harlequin-survey.org/

So you squashed the ladybirds that would have eaten your blackfly and then sprayed the blackfly?

You do know that half the problem with the Harlequin Ladybirds is that more native ladybirds were being killed than Harlequins and that was having a worse effect on the native population than the original Harlequins would have had? The general advice now is to just leave them be.

Totty

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 16:15 »
There are loads of aphids on our plot but there is also loads of ladybirds, i say leave the spray, let nature run its course

pigeonpie

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 19:15 »
So you squashed the ladybirds that would have eaten your blackfly and then sprayed the blackfly?

You do know that half the problem with the Harlequin Ladybirds is that more native ladybirds were being killed than Harlequins and that was having a worse effect on the native population than the original Harlequins would have had? The general advice now is to just leave them be.

Sorry, I should have said that I sprayed the black fly with soapy water, nothing more harmful than that (ecological washing up liquid at that).  I also checked that there were no other ladybirds on the plants first. 
I don't use chemicals.  I even leave some brassicas un-netted so that cabbage whites can still lay their eggs.  A garden without insects is not a garden.

xx
Harlequin V PFA

Started by MoreWhisky on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 13, 2011, 10:45
by Salmo
xx
Ladybirds

Started by Babstreefern on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post August 19, 2011, 17:21
by goose
xx
Ladybirds at last

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 04, 2015, 22:28
by LandShark
xx
Ladybirds!

Started by Brambles on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 16, 2009, 18:26
by purplebat

Page created in 0.452 seconds with 38 queries.