Tomatoes too heavy!

• 7 Replies

Totty

Tomatoes too heavy!
« on: July 28, 2010, 17:12 »
Hi all, as well as my first allotment year, this is also the first year in which we have had room for a greenhouse. With all the best intentions i decided to raise the borders and put plenty of good stuff through the soil, i then planted three tomato plants on one side. Roma-which is doing fine with no problems, along with Shirley and Golden Sunrise.

The second two plants were doing fine, and still are i guess, problem being that the fruit trusses produced have become so heavy with unripe fruit, they are splittng at the stems.

What can i do to salvage them and maybe stop this occuring in the future.

Regards

Totty

gypsy

Re: Tomatoes too heavy!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 17:19 »
I do not know how to salvage them but in future tie them to canes, wires or the roof to take the weight from the stems. You may need several ties for each plant, wrap the ties from the base of the stem to nearly the top so it does not put strain on one point.
Catherine

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 17:31 »
I've got a couple of plants that have suddenly collasped with the weight of fruit, but as long as there is still some connection to the main stem you should be OK.  Mine were too unmanagable to tie back up and I've just picked a whole bowl of ripe tomatoes off 1 plant with stems part split away  :)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 17:46 »
Do you mean the weight of the trusses is bringing the main stem (above) down with the truss? or that the weight of the truss is causing it to split away from the stem?

If the first then wind string all the way up the plant (about 1 turn around the plant's stem every foot or two - so only a few turns total from top-to-bottom - and secure to the greenhouse roof

I have a horizontal sire running along, and attached to, the roof that I attach my strings too. I also use a bamboo cane that reaches up to the roof that I tie the plant too - which bares some of the weight (i have had the string break in the past ...)

Totty

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 19:54 »
Thanks everyone, all part of the learning process. Will know now for next time! :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 19:58 »
Last year the trusses on my plum tomatoes were so heavy that I had strings tied to the roof beams and going under each truss to take some of the weight  8)

kingdhesiii

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 21:41 »
I just lost a load of toms on one of my bush plants today. :ohmy:.
Woooooooooooooo

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 22:40 »
I've often had to put in extra stakes to hold up excess fruit or relieve the too heavy weight.

clip
tomatoes are too heavy

Started by UrbanGrower on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 28, 2014, 12:40
by JayG
xx
Incredible Tomatoes, Heavy on pictures!

Started by Big Jen on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 04, 2008, 10:46
by Sadgit
xx
The 'my heavy soil is too heavy', thread.

Started by sharky on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post January 24, 2009, 02:29
by vegmandan
xx
We're getting there! (pic heavy!)

Started by mickwood on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post May 26, 2009, 20:56
by SnooziSuzi

Page created in 0.441 seconds with 38 queries.