101 things to do with courgettes

• 25 Replies

pigeonpie

101 things to do with courgettes
« on: July 27, 2010, 23:06 »
We have so many courgettes and marrows (otherwise known as oops, I didn't see that courgette growing) that I think I may have to implement the rule that every meal has to include courgette.  Last year even my Dad's 70th Birthday cake was a chocolate courgette cake!
I think a day or two making marrow chutney and courgette soup may be in order.
Next year perhaps only a couple of courgette plants instead of the 4 might be an idea!!

pol and mick

• Experienced Member
Re: 101 things to do with courgettes
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 23:51 »
I know what you mean.I planted 12 plants this season because i grew Courgettes last year and were pleased with the results. But my oh my as soon  i picked them others almost appear over night.
So far i have picked 4 carrier bags full,only wished i had weighed each bag before giving them out to family and friends.
I have also been souring the internet looking for recipes  for courgettes.To top it all ,whilst in town today i spotted a lovely Courgette pepper grinder and just had to buy it.
pol

needssomehelp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 06:59 »
lol, well as you all may of read on here i have 19 courgette plants lol, its my first year on my allotmemt and people just kept giving them to me ! anyway i bought a book off of Amazon called- what am i going to do with all these courgettes! it has 150 recipes   plenty to keep the glut at bay. and it only cost me £4  + free delivery
LISA X X X

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 07:13 »
I had read somewhere in the past that three plants were ample to feed a whole family. We have five plants to feed two people and, so far, we're coping fine. It might be that they won't grow so madly up here where its cooler, but I'm keeping as close eye on them anyway and picking them small.  ;)

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

CZ Silhouette

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 07:37 »
I planted two plants this year. I live on my own so have been eating courgettes every day for the last six or seven weeks. They’ve been in quiches, pigeon pies, more rice dishes than I care to mention, even my Sunday roast. Last night I had courgette fritters.
Today will be courgette soup to accompany my mussels in white wine sauce.
I will definitely be making some spicy courgette chutney to have at Christmas.
The odd thing is I’m not bored of them.

This is a good website for recipes (just type in courgette & see what you get)

http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes
MY BACKS ACHING!!!!!!! AGAIN!!!!

pigeonpie

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 08:05 »
Perhaps the trick is to pick them whist still young and small but somehow they manage to slip past our notice.  I have a feeling they wait until we blink and then grow.
Luckily I love courgette (and marrow) so it's not such a chore eating so many, yet...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 08:31 »
there are more recipes
in this thread

andy135

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 08:35 »
How about courgette wine..............? :)

Christo

• Spring has Sprung!
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 08:39 »
anyway i bought a book off of Amazon called- what am i going to do with all these courgettes! it has 150 recipes   plenty to keep the glut at bay. and it only cost me £4  + free delivery

Excellent tip! I'll see if I can find acopy. I've got 6 plants (for 2 families) ust started to produce so it will be interesting to see how many we get. They do seem to grow fast though!

diggerjoe

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 09:02 »
I grew a mix this year usual courgettes and  the small patty pan ones  that way the neigbours think they are getting something different - so far its working :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 09:07 »
How about courgette wine..............? :)

Oooo - 102 ways!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Livinhope

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 10:14 »
I have just made some amazing piccalilli following Val's recipe.  We love 'yellow pickle' and I reckon we are saving fortune just pickling what we can't eat now. 

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 11:10 »
Fortunatley for me, three members of our family love them, they eat at least one a day, I never would of thought chickens would like them so much.
I have most of the staff addicted to courgette cake with lemon drizzle.
The rest get composted.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

titch

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 11:17 »
I have been saute'ing my extras with some garlic and then freezing them, ready to bung in whatever I happen to want them in, made a cake, a pickle,and a huge vat of tomato and pepper suace frozen to whip out when needed, I really missed them during the winter months so preserving them in this way is great, will see ewhat todays haul can be turned into
just keep breathing................

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 14:18 »
(1) Quick use for them: Slice, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper, and crushed garlic - then roast for about an hour: they go lovely and mushy, flavours intensify and are fabulous like this mixed with pasta.

(2) If you have patience: slice courgettes thinnishly and pour over hot vinegar (cider vinegar with peppercorns and bay, all brought to the boil is nice). Let the hot vinegar and courgettes infuse for about an hour. Drain off the vinegar (you can keep the vinegar to do the same with another load of courgettes) and mix the drained courgettes with crushed garlic, lots of mint and seasoning. Simply pop into sterilised jars, and cover with olive oil. Keeps for about 6 months and is brilliant as antipasti, as a pizza topping etc
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

xx
Just when things were going so well :-(

Started by plotment26 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 13, 2009, 10:26
by barney rubble
xx
at last things are getting going

Started by rem858 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 22:55
by kingdhesiii
xx
Things to do ................

Started by Springlands on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 23, 2011, 17:18
by Babstreefern
xx
Things are looking up

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 15, 2011, 20:26
by alibean

Page created in 0.529 seconds with 39 queries.