A tomato question!

• 4 Replies

sillysuffolk

A tomato question!
« on: July 27, 2010, 17:54 »
 I've read that you are supposed to pinch out the growing tips of tomato plants but i'm not sure when, how or even why you are supposed to do this. This is my first time growing toms and they are in grow bags and doing really well. The variety is 'gardeners delight' and they are looking fab. Any advice?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: A tomato question!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 18:14 »
The recommendation is to pinch (removing the top main shoot)  by nipping the growth off between fingers or using a knife) out the growing tip after the tomato plant has set four to five trusses.  This is to encourage the fruit on the plant to grow and ripen before the end of the season.  In practise, some just leave alone (me  :D ) or wait until the plants reach the top of the greenhouse and then stop them by pinching out the tip.

By the way, this isn't done with bush type toms.
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

supervegman

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 18:14 »
Yes you are supposed to pinch out after 4 trueses have set but this year i have left them to grow in arch in the greenhouse and they seem to be find they just keep growing and producing more tomatoes which are rippening

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 18:32 »
I've never understood the concept of pinching out at N trusses. Depends how early (or late!) you plant, how vigorous the variety is (my Gardeners Delight are several trusses ahead of my other Tomatoes) and probably a host of other factors.

I pinch out in the greenhouse one month before first anticipated frost, to give time for the Tomatoes to ripen.  Or when the plants hit the roof and I can't squeeze any more vertical growth into the greenhouse (e.g. by lowering them down the canes / strings a bit)

sillysuffolk

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 18:33 »
Cheers! i might try doing it for half the plants and leave the rest for a comparison and see what happens!

xx
a frosty question and a tomato question

Started by flitwickone on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 22, 2011, 18:29
by JayG
xx
Tomato question

Started by Middlesexbloke on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 16, 2015, 22:12
by Middlesexbloke
xx
Tomato question

Started by Plot74 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 18, 2012, 20:05
by LilacSandy
xx
Tomato question

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 18, 2015, 07:37
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.46 seconds with 36 queries.