School holiday = neglected plot

• 5 Replies

Missy1970

• Experienced Member
School holiday = neglected plot
« on: July 27, 2010, 09:26 »
Hi All

Now my daughter is on school holidays my couple of days a week on the plot have seriously been reduced to a quick hour here and there, there really is no point trying to get any serious weeding done when she comes over so my plot is looking rather neglected hopefully I will get over for an hour or two tonight rain permitting -

Any one else struggling with time??

Missy

Elcie

Re: School holiday = neglected plot
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 09:33 »
I love the school holidays as I work in a school!  However, I am off to India tomorrow for just under 4 weeks so am leaving the plot in the (?)capable hands of Elcie's OH - oh dear!

I can imagine that it is difficult for those with small children to get much done though when they are around.  I would be tempted to take them there little and often as they are then more likely to get used to the idea of being there and not get too bored  being there a whole day.  That is the plan when my grandson arrives anyway!

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 09:40 »
actually a quick burst of weeding now and then is probably all it needs: I prob spend about 30mins a week tops on weeding after I did a really hefty weeding session at the start of the season, so this 30mins or so each week keeps at bay the weeds with relative ease. And to be honest this time of year all I need to do is a quick hoe over the place and leave it.
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

themoog

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 12:11 »
Similar problem here. 2 small boys (3 years and 7 months old) and a hubby who often works away.

I get by on doing a Saturday morning when hubby is here and an afternoon when one son is at nursery and the other at Grandma's. Hubby away during the school holidays makes for a weedy plot  :blush:.

Depending on the age of your daughter, some things I've found that work for quick 15 minute stops at the plot...
1) Leaving them in the car (in view) with a story CD (and a handful of raspberries or similar for the eldest).
2) Taking a little chair for eldest to have a drink and a snack (notice a theme  ;)). Baby in the sling or buggy.
3) Taking a toy wheelbarrow for eldest to help me take the weeds to the compost. Baby in the sling.
4) Giving eldest a basket with a handle to carry when I'm harvesting.

Little and often is the only chance  :lol:!
My music teacher was right. If you have to make a mistake, make it good and big and loud; with a bit of luck people will think that it was always meant to be like that.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 18:28 »
Dependant on how old your daughter is why not make a sand/mud pit or pond area, with perhaps a small swing next to it? Or a 'dolls house' made from old wood with her personal garden on a bed of her own? That'll give you a good hour or so.
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

starry

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 20:44 »
I don't work (domestic engineer) kids have left home and I can still only get to my Lottie for a couple of hours on a Thursday morning !! but I do look after 1 granddaughter 2 times a week and we have 2 puppies !! very ocassionally I can get over 2 mornings have a feeling my courgettes are going to be mimi marrows again this week (and still have not got through all of last weeks harvest) it all makes me feel very guilty !!  :wub: :wub:
some people are like slinkys......they're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face as you push them down the stairs!!

question
Rhubarb on neglected plot

Started by weirdsowing on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 23, 2010, 20:14
by azubah
xx
school plot

Started by mum of 3 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 30, 2007, 13:27
by muntjac
xx
need advice for school plot

Started by nellie.b on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post January 26, 2009, 16:43
by nellie.b
xx
neglected strawberries

Started by jevennett on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 10, 2010, 15:58
by Trillium

Page created in 0.525 seconds with 36 queries.