It's August on Saturday and ...

• 24 Replies

Christine

It's August on Saturday and ...
« on: July 27, 2010, 08:37 »
The summer raspberries need pruning, the strawberry patch needs urgent attention, the cauliflowers have all happened together and will need freezing (family gone on holiday), the ex pea patch isn't completely dug over, the rain has gone away and I need to water the beans and courgettes at least .....

I only took Sunday off to do some freezing of the glut ..

Anyone else got a backlog of seasonal jobs? Ones that have just suddenly caught up with you?

paintedlady

Re: It's August on Saturday and ...
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 09:01 »
this whole year I feel as though I've been playing catch up!  I usually spend some time over the Christmas/New Year break while I'm off work to do some big jobs at the allotment that are too much for a weekend, but the arctic weather put paid to that plan.  A cold spring delayed a lot of sowing and planting and my "usual" timetable went a bit askew, the very dry spring/early summer meant more time spent on watering than I'd care to admit to when I needed to get on with other jobs ....

Last weekend I too decided on urgent harvesting for freezing (takes a lot longer than you think - cleaning, peeling, chopping, parboiling, flash freezing, bagging up) and this morning when I called in to harvest the runner beans and courgettes, I was dismayed to find the weeds have all somehow shot up and gone to seed in my absence   :mad:
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 10:36 »
Cos I got the lottie at the beginning of may, a lot of time was spent digging, sowing and planting that up, then getting the 'donated' shed fixed, erected and painted.

The poor garden looks a mess, with a couple of projects just left in limbo, so there are rocks, to hold back a raised bed, in piles everywhere. Posts and trellis for some roses still to go in :ohmy:

I think I need a mildish winter to catch up with all the construction jobs in the garden, so that garden and lottie can start on an equal footing next spring......now where are the garden fairies when you need them ::)  ;)

Babstreefern

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 12:54 »
Soooo, what you're saying is, its not just me :D :D
Babs

sclarke624

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 13:37 »
I kinda hope its not August until Sunday or I am going to be in the wrong place on the wrong month Saturday. LOL

Come to think of it thats not such a bad idea.

And yes was just moaning about catching up myself yesterday, have done all the strawbs and planted the leeks but still more jobs that have to be done.  Never ending this year.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 13:38 by sclarke624 »
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

dexyblue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 13:39 »
your right its August on Saturday and my birthday on Sunday forgot all about it   :nowink: must be getting too old for birthdays  :lol:
I came I saw I grew my own veg

sclarke624

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 13:54 »
August on Sunday not Saturday.

You can have two birthdays if you want though.

dexyblue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 15:08 »
my birthday 2nd August ...Sunday
August begins.... Saturday  :lol:
thats what I meant ha ha

madcat

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 15:19 »
Soooo, what you're saying is, its not just me :D :D

You are all making me so much better - I thought it was just me!  :D Gooseberries waiting for topping and tailing and freezing; weeds getting away; runners and sugar snaps waiting for picking and freezing; what the **** do I do with MORE courgettes; lift the last of the 1st earlies and the onions; clear the .....  And that is just the allotment list...   :(  I'm glad its not just me. 
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

meterman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 22:11 »
31 july on saturday my birthday

solway cropper

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 22:25 »
Like mum I need a mild winter to catch up with the reorganization of the plot. I had great plans last back end but the ground was like concrete and by the time it thawed out I was desperate to get stuff in so a lot was put on hold.

Just realized I haven't done any summer pruning of the fruit trees !!

It's been a funny old year....but I reckon we probably say that every year  :)

Cazzy

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 22:40 »
It really does help reading that i'm not the only one.  We took on the half plot next door at the beginning of the year and although it was a mess, we managed to plant up just about all of the ground, there is so much work still to be done to make the two plots work as one. 

Repairs, building and painting to be done to the half built greenhouse that was already there, move the shed and patio .........So I'm hoping for a mild winter too.

As for the weeds, I really have let them get out of hand but made a start this week.

EPSB and Savoy are getting pot bound waiting on the early potato bed being dug over.

Got most of the direct sown lettuce thinned out and re planted today but still lots left to get done.

More beetroot to sow, herbs needing potting on

But you know what............ I LOVE IT lol
What if the Hokey Cokey IS what its all about...

missycat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 23:10 »
Went to plot today after a week of mostly rain plus end of year rush at school and OMG it's like a jungle! We have open day 14th Aug so really need to get in back into shape ... I spent 2+ hrs walking round in a daze, bit of weeding here, pulling up bolted veg there, clearing windfall apples and starting on the strimming but I think I need to draw up a plan of attack if I'm going to make a real difference :(

Christine

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 08:20 »
OK so it's not August till Sunday. Oops. That's just one more day in the scheme of things.

I don't think that's going to make one iota of difference in the scheme of chaos called the strawberry beds down the plot in my case. I'll be down the plot from Friday till Christmas looking at the state of them.

At least I'm retired and can spend all day every day down the plot, weather permitting, to play catch up.

Added to that is the pressure to go and see son's family in London and the visit clashes with town's produce show. Oops but at least I think that four days in mid September might be after the height of the season.

dexyblue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 08:28 »
Blimey I dont even know when my own birthday is, checked Monday 2nd August  :nowink:

xx
Saturday night frost

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 16, 2016, 07:50
by Robster
clip
All's well in August.

Started by Russell Atterbury on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 07, 2020, 23:28
by mrsbean
xx
8th August...

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

40 Replies
Last post August 12, 2012, 20:38
by Growster...
xx
got our first allotment on saturday - any tips / advice

Started by vineweevil1 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 10, 2008, 21:22
by richyrich7

Page created in 1.162 seconds with 39 queries.