More chilli problems

• 8 Replies

Springlands

More chilli problems
« on: July 26, 2010, 18:58 »
My chilli plants are growing really well - lots of fruit developing however I have noticed that some of the flowers are dropping off before the fruits develop. Not to sure why - could this be because the plants have decided they have enough fruits? Have been watering regularly and feeding 1/2 times per week. Maybe I am just being greedy and expecting too much from the  plants.

WirralWally

• Experienced Member
Re: More chilli problems
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 19:14 »
Don't worry about it unless all of the flowers are dropping.
It is quite normal to lose a few.
The successes and failures of each year keep me motivated for the following year.

Springlands

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 22:43 »
Thank you WW - just being greedy hate to lose any of those chillies

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 07:14 »
I have always had flowers drop and I grow A LOT of chillies :)

Not as many dropping this year which is odd. Only I have done differently is keep them in 6 inch pots. Will get smaller plants, but just didn't find the time to re-pot all 40+ of them :D

Springlands

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 18:43 »
I have always had flowers drop and I grow A LOT of chillies :)

Not as many dropping this year which is odd. Only I have done differently is keep them in 6 inch pots. Will get smaller plants, but just didn't find the time to re-pot all 40+ of them :D

40+ what do you do with them all!! Do you have a market stall  ;) I thought I was bad with four in the green house and six outside.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 19:19 »
err I love chillies :D
It is 12 types again this year, some strange ones and some that I know will never work :(

1. Dorset Naga (Morich) from Bangladesh
Simply the worlds hottest chilli. Over 1 Million SHU. Even handle the seeds with care. End of the world Atomic hot

2. Scotch Bonnet Red from Caribbean
Grows large round fruit on a compact bush. Extremely hot 300,000 SHU

3. Szechuan from China/Asia
Small thin walled 4 inch chilli matures to red. Very popular recipe ingredient. Plenty of pods from a medium sized plant. Hot .

4. Chocolate Habanero from Jamaica
Late maturing large round fruit on a short bush. Ripens green to deep chocolate brown Extremely hot. 450,000 SHU

5. Mongolian from Mongolia
Medium sized plant growing relatively small fruit. Medium heat

6. Filipino Hot from Philippine Islands
Good yielding plant shows small red fruit. Really only medium heat.

7. Peruvian Red from Peru
Quite rare. Good yielding plant shows large, thick walled, round(ish) red fruit. Could be stuffed  Hot.

8. Bermuda Hot from Bermuda
Quite rare. Thick walled fleshy, torpedo shaped fruit from a small bush. Very early to ripen. Medium heat.

9. Peach Habanero from Mexico
Good yielding small plant shows medium sized, thick fleshed, fruit. Ripen to peach colour. Good to make your own hot sauce. Extremely hot. 350,000 SHU

10. Hungarian Hot Wax
Very prolific and easy to grow.They have a crisp fleshy fruit with a mild heat.  They are normally harvested yellow to keep the plant fruiting. If left they will ripen to red

11. Hot Lemon – My favourite chilli
Very hot lemon flavoured and scented chilli pepper, suitable for drying and freezing,  Green fruits up to 5cm long mature to yellow. Plant height approx 60cm

12. Ring o Fire
A mass of long thin pointed pods which mature from green to red and are HOT! Ring of Fire is a hot cayenne type which is very quick to mature. One of the first hot chillies to ripen. It grows on an upright bush and can be picked green or red. This is a very productive chilli.

doubledug

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 19:24 »
It is 12 types again this year, some strange ones and some that I know will never work :(

Simply the worlds hottest chilli. Over 1 Million SHU. Even handle the seeds with care. End of the world Atomic hot

3. Szechuan from China/Asia
Small thin walled 4 inch chilli matures to red. Very popular recipe ingredient. Plenty of pods from a medium sized plant. Hot .

4. Chocolate Habanero from Jamaica
Late maturing large round fruit on a short bush. Ripens green to deep chocolate brown Extremely hot. 450,000 SHU

5. Mongolian from Mongolia
Medium sized plant growing relatively small fruit. Medium heat

6. Filipino Hot from Philippine Islands
Good yielding plant shows small red fruit. Really only medium heat.

7. Peruvian Red from Peru
Quite rare. Good yielding plant shows large, thick walled, round(ish) red fruit. Could be stuffed  Hot.

8. Bermuda Hot from Bermuda
Quite rare. Thick walled fleshy, torpedo shaped fruit from a small bush. Very early to ripen. Medium heat.

9. Peach Habanero from Mexico
Good yielding small plant shows medium sized, thick fleshed, fruit. Ripen to peach colour. Good to make your own hot sauce. Extremely hot. 350,000 SHU

10. Hungarian Hot Wax
Very prolific and easy to grow.They have a crisp fleshy fruit with a mild heat.  They are normally harvested yellow to keep the plant fruiting. If left they will ripen to red

Very hot lemon flavoured and scented chilli pepper, suitable for drying and freezing,  Green fruits up to 5cm long mature to yellow. Plant height approx 60cm

12. Ring o Fire
A mass of long thin pointed pods which mature from green to red and are HOT! Ring of Fire is a hot cayenne type which is very quick to mature. One of the first hot chillies to ripen. It grows on an upright bush and can be picked green or red. This is a very productive chilli.

where do you get your seeds please

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 20:43 »

Very hot lemon flavoured and scented chilli pepper, suitable for drying and freezing,  Green fruits up to 5cm long mature to yellow. Plant height approx 60cm

12. Ring o Fire

Growing those three this year myself, as well as Monkey Face, which is meant to have " a hint of Mango ". Usually only grow the Scotch Bonnet which for some reason I find has citrus overtures (sound like a wine taster now !  :D :D)

Anyway, not a chilli fiend, start the plants for 5 mates and myself and the different tastes (and name in the case of Ring o fire ) sound interesting to me.

where do you get your seeds please

I got mine from :  http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/seeds/pages/index.htm

Plenty of choice and some freebies thrown in this year

Edited to say they are relatively local to me (although I went mail oreder)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 20:46 by galen »
Paul, Andrew, Kevin, Galen - My parents got bored of normal names in the end!

Springlands

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 08:32 »

Do not like the sound of your no. one choice  :nowink: sounds way to hot!!

Some of the others sound interesting and my try some next year. Have only been growing chillies for a few years now (just used to stick to sweet peppers) but think that I need to extend range.

xx
Chilli plants not flowering or growing chilli's?

Started by bb_odiham on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post September 19, 2008, 12:12
by gobs
xx
Sow chilli plants now for better/more chilli's next year?

Started by green_fingered_ash on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 10, 2009, 21:01
by sunshineband
clip
Chilli help

Started by ches on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post July 29, 2019, 08:40
by ches
clip
Help with chilli ID

Started by surbie100 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 15, 2013, 11:17
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.971 seconds with 28 queries.