water retention in hanging baskets.

• 14 Replies

hunlom

water retention in hanging baskets.
« on: July 25, 2010, 09:20 »
hi all, im having trouble keepinng water in my 9 hanging baskets. they were plastic lined bought ones(3 yrs ago ) that have either been punctured or peirced at some time... when i water them it seems to go straight through, no matter how gentle a rose i use.. is there a solution for the rest of this season as baskets do seem to be doing well confusingly....some body recommended fairy liquid ? or the water retaining gels that are sold..but how would i now add these to already planted baskets....please help......stev

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: water retention in hanging baskets.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 09:56 »
I've got a saucer in the bottom of mine and some water retaining gel in the compost.  Seems to work, but have to check every day just in case.
Cheese makes everything better.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 10:19 »
If the baskets are fully planted you obviously can't add gel to the compost now. The compost tends to form a water-repellent crust on after a while, especially if it has been allowed to completely dry out. If there is room between the plants to disturb the surface of the compost this will help break the "seal" and let the water in.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 10:36 »
I read a tip on here I think about freezing bottles of water and leaving them to drip into the compost during the day. The slow release will encourage the moisture to be absorbed by the compost rather than to run straight through. If you could wedge a bottle up on the chains so that it doesn't squash the plants.

In my ones at home I put a marge tub as a reservoir at the bottom of the basket, and a small inverted water bottle, bottom cut off, before I fill with compost and plants.

It's easy then to keep the tub refilled when watering the basket

granjan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 11:07 »
I actually took one of mine down and dunked it in a trug of water.  You could almost hear it saying thank you  :)

Normally, if they get too dry, I give them a little water with just a drop of washing up liquid in it.   Then I go back in an hour or so and give them a little plain water.  I keep doing that till they can retain it. 

plot6b

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 13:10 »
I actually took one of mine down and dunked it in a trug of water.  You could almost hear it saying thank you  :)

Normally, if they get too dry, I give them a little water with just a drop of washing up liquid in it.   Then I go back in an hour or so and give them a little plain water.  I keep doing that till they can retain it. 
Granjan a silly question I know, but what does the Washing up Liquid do?

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 13:20 »

Granjan a silly question I know, but what does the Washing up Liquid do?

My name isn't Granjan I know, but in my understanding washing up liquid can be used as a wetting agent and I would assume that to be the purpose in this case. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

granjan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 19:03 »
Quite so, Argyllie  :)  It allows it to be absorbed more easily. 

FERDY

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 20:58 »
I soak mine over night in my boy's paddling pool ( I discard the water in the morning) once or twice a week if very dry. My small pots like it too.
Correctio, Accommodo, Maturus.

jamima

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 12:33 »
I bought some moisture retaining compost from wilkos and i dont water those pots half as much as the others , will use it in all my pots next year  :)

Ruby Red

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 21:46 »
We have 2 big ones on the front of our house. My OH religiously waters them twice a day, feeds once a week and deadheads every day. They look stunning and ppl stop to look at them.  ::) They shouldnt be left to dry out.
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

Goosegirl

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 16:44 »
How much help are water-retaining granules and also feed granules? Mine are starting to look a bit past-it so, even though they had both of these, I have just started to feed them with general purpose liquid feed.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

jamima

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 08:59 »
I find its best to fed them from the beginning, been feedind mine for ages and they still look fab. :)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 11:14 »
How much help are water-retaining granules and also feed granules? Mine are starting to look a bit past-it so, even though they had both of these, I have just started to feed them with general purpose liquid feed.

Hi Goosegirl,

We've put combined water retaining and feed granules in our baskets and container this year at planting time and it definitely has made quite a significant difference (to not having them). I don't think you can add them once your baskets are on the go, but we'll cetainly keep using them at planting time in the future.

:)

Junie

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 11:50 »
I realise this is a more expensive option, but we spent an afternoon setting up a small irrigation system for all the pots and baskets, it pays for itself quite quickly when compared to the gel.  I bought a bag of bits that had been opened in Homebase, which had a couple of pieces that we did not really need missing.  It is better if you have your baskets somewhere that you can hide the small tubes though.  It was brilliant even through any very warm spells.  A programmer makes it easier but is not really necessary as you can just turn the tap on for a couple of hours in the evening.  We have not set one up here yet and my tubs are suffering so that is a job for this week.  We brought most of ours with us when we moved.

xx
Hanging baskets what to do

Started by Bobbie on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post September 01, 2009, 18:07
by Goosegirl
xx
Hanging baskets.

Started by Stree on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post June 18, 2013, 16:27
by Totty
xx
Hanging Baskets

Started by Bluedave on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post March 08, 2011, 07:12
by Bluedave
xx
Hanging baskets

Started by digalotty on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post April 03, 2016, 21:17
by DANNY

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 39 queries.