Really pleased with my Concador

• 7 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Really pleased with my Concador
« on: July 24, 2010, 19:57 »
I've always liked growing French beans cos they're one of my favourite veg, they freeze well, they're not cheap to buy, and they're the easiest thing in the world to grow. They're also very efficient use of space cos you get a huge crop from very small plants. My favourite variety was always Stanley, but this year I tried some Concador, a yellow variety, to see what they were like. They're fantastic! They're cropping earlier than the Stanley and the crop is ridiculously heavy for such little plants. They're not really yellow, more cream, but nicely shaped beans, and in fact I find the colour makes them easier to pick cos the trouble with peas and beans is they're a bit good at hiding among the leaves, aren't they.

I'll be growing these again :)

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: Really pleased with my Concador
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 21:01 »
Thanks for letting us know of your success.  It's always useful to hear what others have succeeded with. :)
Cheese makes everything better.

Starling

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 21:06 »
Have made a note in my seed catalogue to try next year, thanks shokkyy :)

viettaclark

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 22:11 »
I hope mine do as well as yours!
I planted a late sowing last week of Concador and Opera. Delinel has been fantastic so far this year but the Tepee are sprawly and the beans are all curled.
I had terrible germination probs with Opera back in March and got another packet free so we'll see how they both get on......

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 22:20 »
I made two sowings of Concador and every single one germinated. They grew on very fast as well. They quickly outgrew the Stanleys I planted at the same time. They're a nice compact plant though. It says on the packet to give them something to climb but I haven't and they're just fine.

I don't think I've ever tried Delinel, so I'll give them a go next year instead of Stanley. I'll just mix them all up in the freezer and we'll be eating multi-coloured beans :)

Bluebell007

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 09:23 »
HI. This is my 1st attempt of growing french beans, I planted Stanley and i'm very pleased with them, They seem to be a very heavy cropper, I planted 2 10 foot rows. I need some farm hands to help with the picking! I've made a note of  Concador for next year. Thanks
Yeterday is history, Tomorrow a mystery Today is a gift.

JRRD

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 10:14 »
I grew some yellow french beans and green ones last year (can't remember which variety)
But I vowed to stick to green ones as I decided I preferred them to look conventional.

I found with the yellow type I had, the yellow was so wishy washy that I struggled to know when to start picking them and then I just started to hate them when they were clearly big enough and still looked wishy washy.   I don't think I ate many, they had lost their appeal.

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 10:30 »
I grew some yellow french beans and green ones last year (can't remember which variety)
But I vowed to stick to green ones as I decided I preferred them to look conventional.

I found with the yellow type I had, the yellow was so wishy washy that I struggled to know when to start picking them and then I just started to hate them when they were clearly big enough and still looked wishy washy.   I don't think I ate many, they had lost their appeal.
It's my first year growing climbing french beans and i've opted for Fasold. a yellow variety would be good and i've seen some purple varieties which i'm keen on trying. I agree it'll make the devils easier to spot!!

xx
pleased with myself

Started by sazzy123 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 13, 2008, 08:24
by lucywil
clip
So pleased with this PSB

Started by Jackypam on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 06, 2014, 20:54
by Jackypam
xx
Pleased with my leeks...so far...!

Started by 1st time veg grower on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 15, 2011, 14:21
by arugula
xx
Sooo pleased........

Started by mashbintater on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post December 11, 2011, 21:15
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.78 seconds with 37 queries.