On the way out?

• 11 Replies

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
On the way out?
« on: July 21, 2010, 20:20 »
Some advice please if anyone can help. Only just noticed tonight that one of my eldest hybrids (3 years and no longer laying) had lain down in the feeding area, unwilling to move very much.

I was able to tempt her with a little food and water, but she didn't have much.

She seemed to have laboured breathing as opposed to fighting for breath if you follow me, very short on energy, no discharges from her nostrils, eyes clear and bright. It just appears as though she has given up as I've had to lift her into the coop and place her on a perch - just not like her at all. I've noticed that her comb and wattles seem a much darker red than the other girls and are cooler to the touch than theirs - seems like a lack of proper circulation.

Will get her to the vets tomorrow, but at the moment I wouldn't be surprised if she was no longer with us in the morning  :(  :(  :(

daisy1990

Re: On the way out?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 20:24 »
so sad to hear that.  In my experience with animals they wont take food or water if they are near the end so the fact that she has taken a little may be an encouraging sign.  Fingers crossed for you
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 20:28 »
Thanks Daisy - everyone is so kind with their thoughts on this sight  :)

zoggett

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 20:51 »
This sounds exactly like Mavis, let me know what your vet says, my vet not very clued up on chickens

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 21:26 »
she could be suffering from the heat.
Staffies are softer than you think.

ehs284

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 22:09 »
As Joyful says.. I've put a suggestion on Zoggett's post.

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 22:23 »
Been out and checked on her - still on the perch, but noticed that she is holding her right wing slightly away from her body. The other hens, 4 week old chicks and 3 geese all seem okay, so that could rule out the heat. Have also noticed that the sheep in the field have been coming right up close to the run today after having their lambs taken away. Our girls fenced off run is in their field, so once they have done their daily duty, they are off into 5 acres of grass. Wondering if she could have been injured by some of the sheep  ??? Doesn't seem to have any major injury, but keeping my fingers crossed  :(

daisy1990

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 15:50 »
any news today Tazzy?

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 08:59 »
Sorry for the delay folks, been acting as nursemaid to a chicken for the last couple of days. Vet couldn't find anything wrong with her and the suggestion was that she may be badly shaken/stressed as a result of being crowded by the sheep. She was quite tender down her right side and over the last couple of days has begun moving around more, albeit a little stiff and uneasy.

Spent Friday in a nestbox, refusing most food (except a little bread with marmite - thanks for the suggestion ;)) but was happily drinking from a bowl that had to be offered to her.

Yesterday saw a big improvement as she got out of the coop and moved around a bit, although she did have lots of rest periods, but during the evening she perked right up at treat time and mixed it big time with the other girls to get her share  :)

She will hopefully carry on getting back to normal and assume her place back at the top of the order (bad news for Lily who was really liking that position). Thanks for all the advice/comments  :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 09:00 »
glad she is on the mend  :D

Pretty Chick

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 12:22 »
That's great Tazzy  :)
All lives are precious.

NormandyMary

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 16:34 »
I do LOVE a happy ending. Lets hope she goes on and on for ages! We do get attached to our little feathered friends dont we?

Page created in 0.257 seconds with 37 queries.