Garlic

• 17 Replies

sclarke624

Garlic
« on: July 20, 2010, 15:34 »
I think I may have pulled the garlic aslightly too early, most have cloves, there is just one or two that is two cloved or one cloved.  The leaves are going brown or yellow but just at the tips.  Planted in March.  
This site http://tiny.cc/1a00c I read said:

'pull up one bulb and see how many sheaths (very thin papery layers around the bulb) you can peel off the bulb - if there are only three, harvest the bulbs, if there are four or more, wait another two weeks or until most of the leaves have turned brown.'
Info from http://tiny.cc/1a00c Gardenaction

Mine didn't have any papery layers.  Are they supposed to before being dried.

Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Garlic
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 16:38 »
I think that the hot/dry weather down here, has dried them too early for a good harvest this year :(  Mine are the same  ::)

Never mind.............there's always next year  ;)

daisy1990

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 17:19 »
You can still crush the inside of the bulbs and put it in olive oil to keep (still using mine from last year) it keeps well in the fridge and means your hands dont smell every time you need garlic
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

sclarke624

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 01:49 »
One I pulled up earlier, than the last lot, has started to get papery layers though as it drys.  They're ok just was wondering if I pulled them to early.

Thats not a bad idea keeping some in olive oil though, ready to use.

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 03:45 »
I wait until the tops get noticeably brown/yellow and it's obvious they're finished growing. And then I fork them out and let them dry under shelter to get that papery skin so they'll store.

I think everyone's had a rough growing year - the UK had too much heat, We had too much rain. Today I tried pulling out a garlic and the stalk came right off - mushy at the end. The head itself seems okay so I'll dig that out tomorrow. Never had that happen before.

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 03:59 »
sorry, but mine are the best for years :blush:...i have severely neglected my plot recently through other life events, and went down last week expecting to see everything dead/bolted due to lack of water and hot summer (so far).  my garlic had turned yellow and bent over and when i lifted them, i got 90% success of huge bulbs.  ive been drying them in the sun and now plaited them and hung them up for storage.  i planted mine out in february.  this is one crop i am pleased with this year. :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 04:55 »
Mine have been good as well. A hard-necked variety from The Really Garlicky Company, planted last October.

Waited until the leaves had gone really brown. Bit of rust, but bulbs unaffected and some real crackers, the biggest I've ever managed.

I've been complimented on them by the Indian family next door!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

PlymouthMaid

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 11:15 »
First time I have grown garlic but have a brilliant crop especially from the purply ones. Did get rust badly but the heads are fine.

Does anybody know if it is safe to save some of the good ones for replanting given the rust situation - obviously will plant in a different location but am unsure if they will take rust with them?

bigben

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 11:43 »
I was pleased with my garlic crop this year. I was a bit naughty and used a mix of proper seed garlic on the allotment and 3 or 4 types of shop bought supermarket garlic at home. The seed garlic did really well and I now have lots of bulbs - bigger than what I normally buy in the shops. My supermarket stuff was mixed - half was rather small but I did plant some from the Really Garlicky company and this grew fairly well even though it was not their seed garlic just the stuff in the supermarket.
I did suffer rust but still plan on planting some of the bigger cloves. I got rust on my leeks last year so I think it will stay on the site whether I replant the garlic or not.

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 15:07 »
Does anybody know if it is safe to save some of the good ones for replanting given the rust situation - obviously will plant in a different location but am unsure if they will take rust with them?

Although the rust isn't apparent in the heads, it's always possible that some of the disease got into the bulb, and if you plant these out, it's possible you'll spread the disease even more. Best to just buy certified seed until you're very sure you've not got any more rust on your site (which could take years, if ever). Old saying: better safe than sorry.

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 21:34 »
Does anyone know how long they need drying for before use? It's just that i couldn't wait any longer to use some earlier this week (they'd been dug up two weeks previously) but the flesh was rather, well, wet. Should i leave it for another fortnight or so?  ???

Trillium

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 23:50 »
I leave mine for about 3 weeks to dry, but that's because the plant is usually dead-looking when I finally get around to digging it up. So, if you're pulling them while still a bit green, a month wouldn't be unusual to allow for proper drying. I keep mine out of direct sun and rain on screening, and check often to see if the skins become that dry papery texture of dried garlic.

Trikidiki

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 22:51 »
You can still crush the inside of the bulbs and put it in olive oil to keep (still using mine from last year) it keeps well in the fridge and means your hands dont smell every time you need garlic

Have a look at this article and many similar available.

http://www.garlicpassion.com/garlic-infused-olive-oil-dont-do-it-yourself/

It discusses the dangers of storing garlic in olive oil as it can produce botulism causing bacteria due to the lack of acid in garlic.

Cazzy

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 00:43 »
Thanks for the link trikidiki, so providing you store it in the fridge its ok.

I was planning on storing crushed garlic in oil just for periods of lazyitis.  I probably would have stored it in the fridge but who knows.

What if the Hokey Cokey IS what its all about...

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 21:09 »
Those jars of Lazy Garlic you can buy list nothing in the ingredients except white wine vinegar and dried garlic. Anyone ever tried preserving garlic this way, in white wine vinegar?

clip
Elephant garlic or ordinary garlic

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 14, 2022, 13:46
by cc
xx
When is Garlic ready to be used as Green Garlic?

Started by Headgardener22 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 01, 2012, 12:55
by arugula
xx
Elephant Garlic / Garlic

Started by dapper on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 08:25
by dapper
xx
my garlic

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post June 13, 2008, 16:33
by new_2_veg

Page created in 0.508 seconds with 39 queries.