Introducing a newbie

• 5 Replies

Hopton Mitch

Introducing a newbie
« on: July 19, 2010, 23:16 »
Evening All,

I've got 3 ex batts and one of my work colleagues has a hand reared 3 year old she has asked me to take in after her chum popped her clogs.

I've got plenty of room for her but I'm concerned that she might get beaten sensless. I've just built some new living quarters for my girls and still have their old coop in the run, I could also section the run off for a few days in order that they can get to know each other without an all out attack, could you let me know if this is the best course of action?.

Much obliged.

Mitch

Hopton Mitch

Re: Introducing a newbie
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 12:01 »
Sorry to bump this but I may be taking delivery of my new girl later today or early tomorrow,

Thanks

Beano

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 12:21 »
Hi, I introduced one to another two and made sure she had plenty of room to escape because they were horrible to her. I also made sure that the had access to more than one food and water source so that she could find some peace to eat. It took at least 3 to 4 weeks for things to improve and it was very stressful for me. I suspect not so for her.
This time round I am  introducing two pullets and keeping them separate for a few weeks and letting them see each other. Partly for the pullets to grow big enough to defend themselves and partly to try out a softly softly approach to introduction.
I suspect though that I am only postponing the inevitable and it's going to be all out war when they are eventually all together.
In other words, it's not going to be easy whichever way it's done. If I were you I would try and put her in with the others and see what happens, keeping a close eye on things as you do so. If things get too nasty, try the keeping them separate for a while option.
Good Luck!!
El.

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 12:33 »
The place we got our chickens from said that if we wanted to introduce some new birds later, the best thing to do is wait until dark when the birds are all asleep, and put the new chicken in with them. This way they wake up with the new chicken there and seem less bothered by it.
4 Dogs: Stanley, Oscar, Borris and Scraps, 8 chickens: Prada, Mulberry, Alessi, Apple, Dior, Bobbi, Eve and Fendi, 2 Guinea Pigs: Rupert and Milo, 3 Rabbits: Louis, Daisy and Charlie 2 Fish: Sandy and Pebbles, 6 Quail

Beano

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 13:16 »
Yep. Did that. They saw her come down the steps the next morning and went for her.
You might be lucky and not have too much bother. All I can say is, be prepared for trouble and remember that it does get better eventually.

Hopton Mitch

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 14:23 »
Cheers for the advice, I'll keep you posted.

xx
Introducing new hen...

Started by chasechicken on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 09, 2010, 15:34
by bantam novice
xx
re introducing

Started by Lorie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 31, 2009, 21:46
by goosebusters75
question
Introducing a cockerel

Started by bantam novice on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 20, 2010, 22:37
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Introducing the new gang....

Started by alibean on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 30, 2008, 21:47
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.451 seconds with 36 queries.