Spuds in pots - poor yield!

• 7 Replies

dig4victory

• Experienced Member
Spuds in pots - poor yield!
« on: July 19, 2010, 15:37 »
Due to space constraint this year, we decided to grow our earlies in large pots and do the layer up with soil method when the shoots pop through each time.  We've seen plenty of gardening shows doing it, also with tyres.

What a disappointing yield! We grew Swift - the yield was poor.  They did get caught by that late frost in May...

...any thoughts?

Thanks!  ;)

Christine

Re: Spuds in pots - poor yield!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 15:40 »
Lack of water? Potatoes are a thirsty crop.

solway cropper

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 22:55 »
I agree with Christine. Water and more water. As an experiment I'm growing some in flower buckets this year and tipped out the first one last week. Two pounds of lovely clean Charlottes but I watered them every few days during the dry weather. Not as big a yield as the ones grown in the ground but they take up less space.

andy135

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 23:35 »
I was also short of space so I used three plastic dustbins which I had.
I drilled drainage holes in the bottom, lined them with fleece to stop bugs getting in and then put 3" of rotted manure in the bottom. 3" of Been and Queue'd potting compost then place nine Lady Chrystl in the bottom and covered with compost. I also mixed in a good quantity of FBB.
After 12 weeks I got 3lbs from the first bin. It's now 15 weeks and I've just got 16lbs from the second bin. I'll wait for the third bin for a few weeks more.  :)

sarah-king

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 09:15 »
I only planted earlies, different types in flower buckets, and got 1 large pan full from 4 buckets and one of these bags, and that's it, very disapointed they were watered every other day and fed :-(
to make things worse the more expensive seed potatoes( from reputable supplier ) produced ones with scab !! :-(

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 11:47 »
Scab is the result of soil conditions and nothing to do with the quality of the seed potato.

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 12:21 »
i heard ikea do these huge bags, could you grow them in there? i would assume that as the potato's grow they displace the soil around them? if that is the case then the bag can allow easy expansion sideways if the soil is not compressed to hard. i had really clay like soil which meant all my root vegetables in the 1st year did not grow properly but i really worked in bags of cheap compost, sand and manure and now the root veggies are growing well.

worth a try?

dig4victory

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 13:19 »
Thanks for replies - we did water them everyday, though may need it both morning and evening.

xx
Poor spud yield

Started by Maryann on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 14, 2009, 00:04
by sclarke624
xx
Poor potato yield

Started by brownp on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 09, 2011, 10:28
by 1st time veg grower
xx
Poor broadbean yield.

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 01, 2009, 21:15
by Jay Dubya
xx
Poor yield of early potatoes

Started by green fingers on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 22, 2008, 14:02
by Bigbadfrankie

Page created in 0.551 seconds with 38 queries.