Vegetable Shelf Life

• 14 Replies

domw001

• Msg. To Mother Nature: Just Bring It!
Vegetable Shelf Life
« on: July 19, 2010, 09:11 »
Apologies if this has been posted before but what do they do to "fresh" supermarket fruit and veg to stop them going manky?   ???

If I pull a lettuce or raddish on my plot it's good in the fridge for about 2 days.

If I buy the same things from my local SainsMorrSommerAscos its still palatable after 10 days.

Now I know the supermarket stuff will not be as healthy as my own stuff (I know whats gone into producing it for a start).....I just would like to know how stuff I buy lasts longer even though its probably grown in a similar way to my veg.

8doubles

Re: Vegetable Shelf Life
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 09:39 »
The supermarket boffins develop veg that looks good and lasts a long time and put it in a bag with a squirt of inert gas so it lasts even longer. Doesn`t taste of anything though.

The softer veg with flavour is a no-no as far as supermarkets are concerned , shelf life rules. :(

ember

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 10:42 »
Hi,

If you are taking a whole lettuce take it roots and all. Shake of as much soil as possible and clear any poor leaves from the base. Do hot wash but do check out for slugs and snails etc. When you get home get a bowl (or whatever alternative you have available) of water and sit the lettuce, roots only, in this. Will keep pretty good for a week to 10 days.

If you're picking leaves only. Do not wash, put in frige in a sealable plastic bag (reusable freezer bags are good) with as much air pushed out as possible. Should be ok for about a week.

Hope this helps M
When I arrived, there were so many docks, I thought it was Southampton.

Livinhope

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 10:51 »
I have one of the original salad spinners (bought about 30 years ago) cost £1.50.  A lettuce will keep in there, in the fridge for days.  It also crisps up a limp lettuce.  I presume they are still available.

purplebean

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 11:30 »
I wash my lettuce as soon as it is picked, spin it until it is dizzy (on the point of throwing up) and then put in a sealed plastic bag with all the air pushed out in the bottom of the fridge. Lasts about 8 or 9 days like this. Generally I try to pick just what I need fresh as it is better that way but I will be taking a big bag of leaves with us when we go on holiday and like this I know they will last the week and I can use it straight from the fridge with no need to wash

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 12:18 »
I use the 'lock and lock'boxes that keep veg airtight.  Ive got a lettuce in one in the fridge from last sunday that is still as fresh as a daisy
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Babstreefern

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 12:21 »
I use the 'lock and lock'boxes that keep veg airtight.  Ive got a lettuce in one in the fridge from last sunday that is still as fresh as a daisy

I would love to see a lettuce throw-up :D
Babs

Maxine Groobey

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 12:24 »
At the risk of repeating other posts  :wub: I too put mine in a sealable freezer bag in the fridge, don't push air out though!  The bag puffs up with its owns natural gases and lasts a week - 10 days  ::)

oldcow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 12:28 »
I agree about the lettuce - wash it, spin it, put it in a ziploc (I actually blow some air in it to puff it up so the lettuce doesn't get squashed). It stays nice and crisp for a long time!

Springlands

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 12:56 »
There are special keep fresh bags available from Lakeland - they contain some mineral dust that helps preserve fresh fruit and veg. Have used them in the past and they work well.

hamstergbert

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 13:40 »
Reading all the above I am clearly out of step with the general view as far as salad stuff is concerned.  Lettuce and salad leaves, if they are not eaten the same day I will compost them anyhow and pull another head/cut another bunch of leaves in a vain attempt to try and keep up with over-pessimistic succession sowing!
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

domw001

• Msg. To Mother Nature: Just Bring It!
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 14:08 »
The lettuce and raddish in my original post were just examples.

I find a lot of supermarket fruit and veg last a lot longer than stuff I pick myself (except my red cabbages that seem to have a use by date of 2014).

I was just curious as to what's done to supermarket fruit & veg to make them seem fresher for longer (plus not forgetting it's probably an extra 2 or 3 days from "field-to-shop")

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 15:43 »
You may wish to Google further but I found this
After harvesting, the carrots are washed in chlorinated water, just like our drinking water, and cleaned to remove dirt and mud. Some finished baby carrots are washed, or dipped, by a further chlorine solution to prevent white blushing once in the store.  There is no evidence that this is harmful, but it is worth knowing about!.  However organic growers use a citrus based non toxic solution called Citrox.
on www.carrotmuseum.com

Maxine Groobey

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 23:59 »
Just throwing in an old one, didn't they used to irradiate food about 10/15 years ago! I remember a big whohar about it and thar irradiated food had to be labled as such and as a consequene nobody would buy it? Maybe they do irradiate some food stuffs and just don't tell us now! Anyone else remember?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 08:12 »

xx
Seed shelf life.

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 03, 2010, 08:04
by Kristen
xx
Shelf life of tomato feed?

Started by Hampshire Hog on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 14, 2008, 21:55
by amberleaf
xx
Lettuce Seed shelf Life

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 29, 2010, 16:06
by Paul Plots
xx
seed shelf life, was'nt there a thread somewhere relating to

Started by KingEdward on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 25, 2008, 16:11
by love-my-plot

Page created in 0.618 seconds with 38 queries.