My Beautiful Melons

• 69 Replies

stompy

My Beautiful Melons
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2006, 14:31 »
Does it smell any different to before, why have you decided to eat it tonight, has it gone soft. (i need to know) :cry:

stompy

My Beautiful Melons
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2006, 17:08 »
Wahoo. :lol:  :D  :D  :lol:  :lol:  :D

My routine is to goto my plot every other night, tonight was one of those nights.

2 of my melons smell of melons, :o  :o  i'v only cut one just in case i'm wrong,

I too can try my first melon tonight like you oliver. :D

I hope i'm not wrong

Oliver

not smelly enough
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2006, 21:25 »
Quote from: "stompy"
I too can try my first melon tonight like you oliver.
Well, stompy, we did not eat the melon tonight as there was so much else to eat (millions of fantastic blackberries (very thorny brambles, actually but fat, juicy and sweet and loads of raspberries (Zeva)) that we thought we shoudl leave the melon a bit longer - it is still hard and not at all melon-smelly so it can have houseroom a bit longer. Only a bit, mind ...

Did you enjoy yours?
Oliver
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
My Beautiful Melons
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2006, 22:41 »
Blasted melons!!!

My second plant (you may remember that the first one was nicked by the dog who thought the melon was a tennis ball!!), has decided to die off, and one of the 3 melons was going soft and had a rotten bit on it.  So I have taken them off.  the one going manky tasted the same as the one the dog nicked, not at all sweet, more like a marrow than a melon.  It was the size of a grapefruit.  Still, not to be outdone, I sprinkled granulated sugar ight over it, waited til it soaked through and ate it anywya, with the sugar it was quite nice!

What colour should the inside of an Ogen melong be?  These were green, like honeydew melons.  I thought they werew supposed to be orangey, or have I got my melon mixed up?

Oliver, oh fount of all wisdom and allotment knowledge, do you think its worth saving the seeds from these miniature melons?  I do have a packet of Gallia melons I bought cheap from Wilko ready for next year, but thought I'd try these Ogens again as well.

Oliver

Saving seed
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2006, 22:48 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
is its worth saving the seeds from these miniature melons?  I do have a packet of Gallia melons I bought cheap from Wilko ready for next year, but thought I'd try these Ogens again as well.

Ponder ... probably not, unless you have the space to grow both and the time and energy to tend them both. (How's that for sitting on the fence! or the shed roof come to that!  :lol:  :lol: )

If you have no other melons around then they probably won't have cross fertilised with anything so they may come true. Why are they miniature, you should ask yourself. If it is because the conditions were unfavourable can you change them for next year? So I would probably say go for both. and, as you have the space, say 3 of each, that way you will get lots of fertilising flowers (they may well cross fertilise so whatever seed you save the following year will not come true)! Do you let bees (and things) in to your poly? Oliver!

GrannieAnnie

My Beautiful Melons
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2006, 23:00 »
Thanks for that Oliver.  Yes, bees and anything go in my poly!!!  including the dog, cat, OH etc etc!!!!

Oliver

Bees in the poly
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2006, 23:08 »
Thanks for that Oliver.  Yes, bees and anything go in my poly!!!  including the dog, cat, OH etc etc!!!!

Well, if you allow bees in the poly then they will probably do the fertling for you so grow 3 of each, let them cross fertil if they must, but don't bother to save the seed for 2008! Just enjoy the fruits in 2007! ( You WILL have some! I'm sure) O

GrannieAnnie

My Beautiful Melons
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2006, 23:23 »
I'll give it a go big O!

And let you know what happens next year!!!!!

Oliver

Nest year
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2006, 23:26 »
next year!!!!!
Roll on next year (well, lets enjoy the rest of this one, but she can hardly contain herself when winter starts ... she aches to get back outside on the plot.

we have LOTS of plans to do things better/differently next year ... Night night! Happy dreams of a fantastic plot! O

GrannieAnnie

My Beautiful Melons
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2006, 23:41 »
Nite Nite Oliver.  You don't sleep on the shed roof at night do you????  Our Sooty Cat has now gone to live in the little greenhouse, where she has made herself a lovely bed in the bark chippings.  They are very small ones with no rough edges though.  The pevious owners here had them for a childrens play area out back, but I've got them in my little greenhouse over my weed suppresant.

Oliver

Sleep
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2006, 16:36 »
Nite Nite Oliver.  You don't sleep on the shed roof at night do you????
Oh No! I sleep on the bed between them. Always have done. The Otherone sleeps at her feet, somtimes she has to do a spot of cliff hanging because he is so big and spreads himself out. I manage to sleep long ways with my head on the pillow!

Her friend has a fit if she hears that I sleep on the bed. Their 3 have to sleep in the delapidated shed outside. they do have very thick coats though because of it. My coat is soft and silky. Thank you for asking!

stompy

My Beautiful Melons
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2006, 18:59 »
Hi there oliver, my melon was a bit tangy but not bad.

But today the other melon was mega melony, soft to the touch and sweet to taste, it was a greeny yellow inside. :tongue2:

Now i know what to look and smell for, you can't get it wrong.

this one was great, the other plotties that i shared it with loved it and all want seeds. :D

I have 4 left, can't wait.

Oliver

That Melon!
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2006, 00:15 »
Quote from: "stompy"
you can't get it wrong.
:lol:  :lol:  :lol: She can!
Well, not wrong actually, but sad. So much for the fabulous Lunabel!
She picked her melon tonight  it felt a bit soft, but still did not smell. The smell really is the key is the key. Lesson learned.

But as the plant showed every sign of giving up the ghost she decided to pick it. that was a BAD move - it was not ripe. Well, they ate it anyway, the hole filled with nice fat juicy blackberries. as someone here says, there's always next year! Nignt night!

milkman

My Beautiful Melons
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2006, 11:43 »
Happy because having thought my melon harvest was finished (4 melons in all) last night whilst watering my aubergines I discovered a hidden melon which must be growing on the plant I thought wasn't doing anything except looking pretty...so the daily sniffing continues!
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

Oliver

Sniff sniff
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2006, 22:12 »
Quote from: "milkman"
...so the daily sniffing continues!
She is realy envious! Just hope you don't sniff up an earwig. :?

xx
Beautiful toms, but...

Started by LottyLouis on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 14, 2015, 12:27
by LottyLouis
question
Beautiful but non bulbing Celeriac

Started by Shirley on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 14, 2022, 21:22
by Bm1
xx
Vegmandan's allotment diary - beautiful photos

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post January 24, 2009, 17:09
by garddwr
xx
Melons

Started by bayleaf on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 04, 2022, 18:37
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.385 seconds with 37 queries.