Newcomer to allotment life...advice gratefully received

• 12 Replies

TheGoodLondonLife

I've recently become an allotment owner (hurrah!) - taking on one that hadnt been 'used' in about three years. Several weeks later (and after reading lots of websites and two of Johns books) we now have a bed that's nearly ready to use...I think?? I had a few questions that I hoped more experienced growers could help with?...any comments gratefully received. I am a complete beginner.

1) We had a LOT of couch grass on the plot. I want (aspire) to be an organic grower but we couldnt get it under control (the roots were about an inch thick and about a foot down) so applied some glysophate and left it about three weeks while we went on hols. I think the majority of the weeds have now been removed, although I dont think I cant get all of them! - can we start planting?

2) The soil we have is a clay type really. There was a load of dark manure dropped off from the council a few days ago so we have popped this onto the allotment - all over (not sure if this was a rookie mistake? we're trying to increase the topsoil?) I think that means we now can't plant until the manure is bedded in? Should I leave it for a couple of weeks?

3) Which leads me onto the main question - we're quite far into the season!! I know from John's recent newsletter that there are still quite a few bits we can plant but should I buy seeds or plants? (thinking plants would be quicker as we're running out of time?) anyone know where a good place to buy plants is in North London?

I think that's it...
Thanks!

SG6

Re: Newcomer to allotment life...advice gratefully received
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 16:15 »
Glyphosphate is reckoned to be nuetralised when it hits the ground. Wouldn't believe it exactly but after 2-3 weeks you should be OK, if you had said 2-3 days then I would have said wait.

To the manure, if well rotted then I would have thought the idea was to dig it in. You can leave it on the surface and let bugs, beasties and nature get it into the ground however that takes more time. Guess allotment = digging. :D :D :D

If not well rotted , I can honestly say not a clue, but new manure on the surface will prevent you planting anything so digging it in is probably the only option(again).

Would have expected it to be well rotted as otherwise of little immediate use on an allotment site. If others are digging it in, then it is time for you to start.

Plants would be quicker but that means locating some of whatever you want, and they are not cheap for populating an allotment. I have noticed that many "charity" stalls have plants on them. Thinking of things like a small town centre Saturday market. Would boot sales have any?

If seeds then try places like Wilkinsons, Netto, Lidl etc that have the inexpensive offerings. At least if you try and they fail you haven't spend too much. Thinking to try ones for which you may be a little late but if cheap no great loss.

Clay is heavy so split the plot into sections, 2, 3 or 4 and do a section at a time. Not too tiring and you see progress. Also do one and plant it up with something. Over time I suggest that just about anything you can get a hold of and dig it in, it will break it up. My little section, not allotment, has had spent compost, sand, composted bark, mini-chip-bark, soil conditioner, manure plus others dug into it. Nice soil now, easy to dig.

alibean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 16:17 »
Rule number one:  try everything, and when invariably some things don't work don't be disheartened.  This is the difference between people who jack in the allotment after 6 months and people who keep it for years.

On a more positive note - best of luck.

As for what to do now, I'd suggest splitting the allotment into four parts.

1. For perennial things like rhubarb, asparagus, globe artichokes, fruit bushes, your greenhouse if you are lucky enough to get one off of Freecycle, etc.  Cover it in manure and then black plastic until you're ready to buy and plant these things (no rush).  The weeds will be smothered for the time being.

2.  Dig and weed as much of this quarter as you can and get some winter greens in.  Still time to grow from seed - I did mine last week!  eg Kale, Chard, Spring Cabbages. (Cover with netting if pigeons are a problem in your area)   Autumn peas, turnips, maincrop beetroot & carrots can still go in if you get a shoofty on. 

3.  Give a rough dig, cover in manure and black plastic so the bulk of the weeds will be smothered.  Come October/November, you can give a more thorough dig and remove remaining weeds and then  put in some overwintering broad beans, garlic and onions. 

4.  Manure & Cover - worry about that in the spring!

Have brought loads of books but the 'bible' for me has always been DG Hessayon's Vegetable 'Expert' book, and there is also one on fruit in the series. (They are about 7 or 8 quid each) and will get you off to a good start.

Finally - get friendly with your fellow allotmenteers (we are all a pretty jovial if eccentric bunch), not only will they provide you with loads of invaluable tips and advice but one of them is sure to have kettle and teabags on site!

All the best!   :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 16:51 »
You can still sow a few things direct....so have a look at the 'old faithful' .....the Sowing and Harvest Chart  :D

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 17:08 »
I wouldn't recommend buying in plants from a car booty or plant sale where you don't know where they came from. You could be risking introducing diseases such as club root.  Try Focus or suchlike
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

TheGoodLondonLife

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 17:24 »
Thanks so much - great advice. There's so much to learn :-)

radiohead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 19:47 »
We were newbies on a new plot last year,not much idea,but through a combination of reading books,forums,seed packet wisdom and nagging other plotholders for info it has been a roaring success,go forth and do likewise. :tongue2:

fatcat1955

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 19:52 »
Try the clockhouse nursery on forty hill enfield, or your local B&Q, they had some bargains a few weeks ago.

Christo

• Spring has Sprung!
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 19:53 »
Regarding getting some plants in quickly;

- Pick up a load of seeds from Robert Dyas (40% off and some on 2 for 1).

- I found loads of plants at Carboot sales in the past. Courgettes, tomatoes, cabbages and they've been great. I've had no problems and the prices were great. Practically giving them away compared to the garden centre.

Good luck with the allotment. It's great fun and very rewarding.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 20:08 »
Well, if you're willing to take the risk in importing infection, that's up to you. I'm sure you neighbouring plot holders would love you for introducing club root.

My plot's got bad club root and I wouldn't wish it on my own worst enemy.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Christo

• Spring has Sprung!
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 21:13 »
Well, if you're willing to take the risk in importing infection, that's up to you. I'm sure you neighbouring plot holders would love you for introducing club root.

My plot's got bad club root and I wouldn't wish it on my own worst enemy.

That's a fair point DD. I suppose once you've got it you're probably a lot less cavalier about things like this. And I suppose the fact it goes quickly from plot to plot makes it even worse!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 21:18 »
I cannot give away any plant that's been grown in my plot, with a view to it being planted in another, as it would probably mean instant club root for the recipient. Even if it wasn't a brassica, it could have infected soil on it.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 21:23 »
Which is why I posted a warning.

Saving a few pennies, or not waiting a few months for your first crop, is too high a price to pay for something that can potentially limit your plot for years

xx
My New Life on an allotment

Started by tony thompson on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post September 12, 2007, 15:00
by Aidy
xx
Help a newcomer

Started by Richardm on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 01, 2008, 20:15
by Trillium
xx
Yet another newcomer, Hello from the fens

Started by merry tiller on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 08, 2009, 10:07
by merry tiller
xx
Yet another newcomer signing in

Started by Eristic on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 25, 2006, 06:57
by Phoenix

Page created in 0.613 seconds with 38 queries.