tomato plant leaves

• 7 Replies

gowing238

• Experienced Member
tomato plant leaves
« on: July 17, 2010, 23:09 »
Hi all. New to this growing malarky. Got 10 tomato plants in the greenhous, all flowering and fruiting nicely. Only recently found out about piching out side shots. But obviously a bit late!!

Growing cordons but they have got so bushy i couldnt walk past to water them all. So i decided to snap off a lot of the leafy branches.

This wont be detrimental to the plant will it!? Im just hoping the tomato grows bigger!!!

Please tell me it be ok!! Im counting on my toms!!!
Start at the beginning, and finish at the end!!

Lardman

Re: tomato plant leaves
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 23:14 »
This wont be detrimental to the plant will it!? Im just hoping the tomato grows bigger!!!

Nah - they'll be fine. If you've let cordons grow into bushes Id be tempted to remove the side shoots even if they're carrying fruit , I know its painful but a few nice tomatoes are better than lots of small green ones  :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 23:14 »
You really should only remove the leaves from below the lowest truss of tomatoes, or cut off the side shoots that shouldn't have been there anyway.
As long as you haven't broken off too many you should be ok though..fingers crossed for you

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 23:29 »
You really should only remove the leaves from below the lowest truss of tomatoes

Some of the old boys I know remove most of the leaves from the plants when they feel its set enough fruit. The chap next door has removed all but 2 -3 at the top within the last week or so.

I know we've done the do/don't argument to death but removing 1 too many shouldn't cause the plant to keel over and die.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 10:58 »
The chap next door has removed all but 2 -3 at the top within the last week or so.
   :ohmy:  :ohmy:
I know some do that Lardman, but I always worry that without enough leaves there will not be enough 'food' to fatten up and ripen my baby toms  :lol:

Polytunnel-er

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 11:05 »
i found a couple of side shoots that got too big i chucked in in a plant pot with some compost they are now flowering and producing fruit!

Livinhope

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 11:07 »
For what it's worth, I sometimes take the middle road if the leaves are very dense by cutting them in half so that it lets in more light and air and the toms aren't sitting in the dark.  It's never done any harm.

With the side shoots which have been left on, if you can't bear to cut them off if they have fruit, why not trim them back to the first truss on the side shoot.  That way you wont feel a complete tomato murderer.

sclarke624

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 23:39 »
I start with the intention of cutting of leaves below the first truss, but always end up taking of loads and also as Livinhope does cut the leaf branches in half.  Depends really on what sort of jungle I am fighting to get through, which this year is pretty thick.  I have done this for three years and they all seem to be ok after.  I don't go as far as leaving just two or three leaves at the top though, maybe towards the end of the season for that, but I know people do use this method.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

xx
tomato plant leaves curling

Started by mike0001 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 12, 2013, 07:44
by mike0001
xx
Tomato plant leaves curling ?

Started by Dave Mack on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 06, 2010, 17:01
by Snoop
clip
My Roma tomato plant leaves are drooping.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 04, 2018, 09:34
by meriad
xx
tomato leaves

Started by sootypaws on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 23, 2007, 07:26
by DD.

Page created in 0.462 seconds with 29 queries.