Do I remove tomato suckers ?

• 11 Replies

signum

Do I remove tomato suckers ?
« on: July 17, 2010, 10:51 »
Just returned from 2 weeks holiday but unfortunately my good watering neighbou has not removed the suckers whilst away and these are a good foot or more in length - do I remove now or leave - urgent reply id poss - thanks

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Do I remove tomato suckers ?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 10:55 »
If you mean remove the sideshoots...then yes do it now :)

signum

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 10:57 »
Yes - I meant the side shoots but in view of the length of these was wondering if they had got too long to remove - I guess they would only take the goodness away from the rest of the plant if left on as these are only just in flower stage anyway. - thanks

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 11:14 »
If you are worried about breaking the main stem then cut them off with scissors :)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 07:49 »
I remove side-shoots religiously from my Toms, honest ... but they must grow really fast as often the side-shoots are a foot long ... :(

I find that if bent so they are perpendicular to the plane of the leaf and main stem they snap off at the base OK.

What I mean is, if the leaf is on the left and the main stem on the right, and the side-shoot in the middle, then bend it towards you, or away from you, or both in succession, so it snaps at the base.

Obviously the bigger the side-shoot the bigger the wound it will leave, but personally I think cutting it will leave a wound which will heal less well than the wounds from broken-off side shoots which are right in the elbow of leaf and stem - you'll probably find another side shoot growing from that site in a week or two :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 10:47 »
In the past I've split the main stem snapping off a side shoot that had got too big, and wouldn't want a newby to be scared by doing so!
Cutting them off near the stem works well enough and heals just as well IMO. :)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 10:52 »
If cutting them has worked for other people that's fine by me :)

I meant to say that when side-shoots are long I support the plant at the left--side-shoot-main-stem-joint with one hand whilst bending the side-shoot to the horizontal with the other hand

slowcompost

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 11:13 »
I thought it depended on the tomato type, I believe that with the plum and small tomato types you should leave some side shoots on to form a bush like plant.
As the great Percy Thrower used to say
" OI THINK THE ANSWER LIES IN THE SOIL"

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 12:47 »
It does depend on type, you are correct :)

signum wasn't asking whether he should or not.....he was asking what to do because it hadn't been done while he was away on holiday ;)

hamstergbert

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 13:24 »
..and after removing them (cut or rip), why not pop 'em into a pot of MPC - large shoots tend to flop like a really floppy thing but (personal recent experience says) strike really fast and start perking back up in a very few days and seem to then be more vigorous after that than the parent plant.  (And seeing as they are free, anyth ing you get out of them if you pop em into a spare square foot in the garden is a bonus!)

The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

polly nator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 21:33 »
hamstergbert is right. Those side shoots can all develop very quickly into new plants - a case of buy one get one free. i do this a lot if I have been away and the tomatoes have gone mad in my absence. My bets tip would be to plant them really deep with just a short bit sticking out - then they produce loads of roots and grow super fast

I like to grown on these side shoots because I cant bear to throw away what could be  a potentially healthy new plant!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 07:24 »
How fast will they have ripe fruit though?  I'm guessing 10 weeks (from seed sown in February they take 16 weeks), so back end of September?

xx
Tomato Suckers....

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 07, 2013, 13:44
by tribs
xx
Tomato suckers/side shoots

Started by colinsmith on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 29, 2012, 12:49
by BabbyAnn
xx
Remove tomato sideshoots or not ?

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 18, 2010, 09:30
by JayG
xx
When do you remove tomato leaves?

Started by Tenhens on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 27, 2018, 09:20
by Toosje

Page created in 0.655 seconds with 38 queries.