Gooseberry varieties and loganberries?

• 5 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Gooseberry varieties and loganberries?
« on: July 16, 2010, 22:46 »
I've got a row of soft fruit that's badly in need of renovation. There's an overgrown quince, a couple of gooseberry thickets, a couple of redcurrants and about half a dozen blackcurrants. I don't like blackcurrants, redcurrants are okay but generally I think currants are fiddly. I do like gooseberries and one of the gooseberry thickets still crops very heavily but is badly in need of some renovative pruning (any advice or tips, please tip away, I go braindead when faced with something that needs renovative pruning). The other gooseberry thicket still has a useful crop and I will have a go at some renovative pruning on this as well, but it doesn't look as healthy and vigorous as the other one and I think it's coming to the end of its life. In the middle of this lot is my free morello cherry tree that I planted this year.

So, my master plan is to get rid of all the currants, sort out the vigorous gooseberry, do some pruning on the other one but plan to replace it with new stock. I'll probably leave the quince but with a severe haircut (and I'd love some advice here as I've never touched a quince before). To restock the bed, I'm thinking about loganberries but I have to admit I've never tried one. If I like raspberries and blackberries, will I like loganberries? Are they easy to grow? Do I need more than one? The rest I'll fill with new gooseberry stock. Any advice on best varieties? Wyevale has Hinnonmaki red, green and yellow, plus Invicta. T&M does a collection with one each of Invicta, Xenia and Hinnonmaki yellow. Any views on these varieties? Any other varieties that are better?

Any advice or suggestions would be gladly received.

paintedlady

Re: Gooseberry varieties and loganberries?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 04:44 »
Loganberries and tayberries are similar - they are "tart" with quite an intense flavour (blackberries & raspberries can taste insipid in comparison) and make great jam.  Both can take a while before they start producing decent crops but once established, the plants grow a lot like blackberry and up to 10 feet long!  Personally I'd have more than one plant and it might be worth having some sort of structure to train them on.

Gooseberries - I'm not much of an expert when it comes to taste or choice so can't help you, but perhaps you should ideally look at something that is mildew resistant.  Although the gooseberry thicket doesn't appear healthy now, a pruning might just rejuvenate it  ;)

I've never grown quince, so I'm sorry I can't help you there
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

gillie

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 08:44 »
A quince is a tree, which looks like an apple or pear.

Have you got a chaenomeles, which is sometimes called a Japanese Quince?

I understand the fruit does not have much flavour - it is better grown as an ornamental.

Gillie

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 08:55 »
Yes, I suspect it is an ornamental quince. It's actually a dense bush, about 4 feet high with a spread of about 8 feet. It has pretty pink flowers but very few fruit, which I've never tried using or eating. Right now the branches are a tangled mass. A lot of the old stock in this garden is very old and/or unusual varieties.  It was originally planted up a lot of years ago by people who were clearly a bit adventurous in their choice of plants.

SG6

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 16:54 »
Logan berry and Tay berry are similar, I have both and cannot tell them apart. If you go for one consider the thornless variety as they otherwise have a good selection of thorns on them. They crop the same a blackberries, on second year growth. Canes can get to 10-12 feet long, even more.

Gooseberries crop on old wood, so if you prune the vigorous one then the first year you get new growth (wood) and no goosberries, so be aware. Various ideas on how to prune. Most common is "open bowl". Basically prune to be cup shaped with not a lot in the centre.

Not sure how good it is as the ones I have are more "umbrella" like, as in a central stem and main branches coming out horizontally. Works well for me. ??? ???

Not sure if they can be trained to something like a cordon etc. :unsure: :unsure:

Would suggest keeping the currants if there is the space spare, could always produce jam from them. Basically if the space is doing nothing why not. ::) ::)

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 19:19 »
I find tayberry much sweeter than Loganberry, provided you let it fully ripen to purple colour. Tayberry is sweet enough to eat raw, but loganberry is always tart. Remember to protect all berry fruits with netting against the birds.

xx
Gooseberry varieties

Started by Living in Hope on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 08, 2012, 10:07
by gobs
xx
Gooseberry varieties

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 15, 2008, 10:14
by londongardener
xx
Tart gooseberry varieties?

Started by Nobbie on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 19, 2013, 23:31
by solway cropper
xx
Loganberries

Started by Browser on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 26, 2008, 21:30
by gobs

Page created in 0.522 seconds with 36 queries.