Grapes in a polytunnel

• 2 Replies

RichardA

Grapes in a polytunnel
« on: July 16, 2010, 20:30 »
can I ask if anyone has any experience of growing grapes in a polytunnel. I thought about using the back bed which is 30 foot long by 4 foot wide, good depth and good soil and would appreciate advice on varieties and spacing -- could we get three types in a 30 foot length????????. We are seeking eating grapes (rather than making wine) with a spread across the cropping season. Location is a sunny well sheltered garden in north lincolnshire. Close to home for watering and attention and security luckily.
many thanks
R

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: Grapes in a polytunnel
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 07:30 »
Under glass the normal procedure is to plant outside, and train in through a removed-pane -Victorian glasshouses had a low brick arch about 6" to 12" at the bottom of the half-wall surround that the vines came in under.

So I reckon you could crop your border with something else  and have the vine leaves above.

I've put my the training wires in my greenhouse about a foot below the glass - so that the leaves that form aren't squished up against the glass, and the vine is about 15' along the greenhouse - I was going to do similar with Kiwi fruit at the other end ...

Babstreefern

Re: Grapes in a polytunnel
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 10:54 »
I have a grapevine which has its roots in the ground and the top inside the greenside, which I've trained to go along the top of the greenhouse.  However, one thing you don't do with grapevines is don't water and don't feed.  If you do, all the goodness goes into the leaf, this is ok if you wish to make stuffed vineleaf recipes, as you won't get much if any grapes.  They are forced to find their own water and feed, so they actually put the growth in the grapes.  I've learnt this from various grapevine growers in France.  When you drive through wine country, notice how all the vines are always on the sides of hills, this is for the water to drain down and not water log the vines.
Babs

clip
Grapes

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 21, 2020, 11:54
by mdjlucan
xx
new to grapes

Started by ranat22 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 15:20
by Trillium
xx
Grapes

Started by Nigelp45 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 21, 2010, 23:56
by Trillium
clip
Grapes

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 23, 2019, 10:29
by mumofstig

Page created in 1.232 seconds with 36 queries.