Drake attacking ducklings

• 9 Replies

two webbed feet

• Two Webbed Feet
Drake attacking ducklings
« on: July 16, 2010, 15:13 »
Looking for some advice on what to do about my Aylesbury drake attacking two new ducklings (2 weeks old).  I separate them at night but free range my ducks during the day (over a large area), however, the drake keeps hunting down the ducklings and attacking them.  One of the ducklings now has a couple of bald patches and I've just noticed that the skin underneath is broken as well  :( :(.  Is the only answer to keep the ducklings and mum cooped up all day??  Any suggestions what I could use on the duckling's wound to help it heal or is it best left alone?

Thanks for your help  :) :) :)

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
Re: Drake attacking ducklings
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 17:35 »
Many years ago if there were any pecking problems in the chicken flock my parents used to use Stockholm Tar.  I think it is still available - it is black and sticky and used to be put on with the end on a wooden spoon. 

It smells strong but not disgusting, and I think it is antiseptic and helps any wounds to heal, and I bet it tastes AWFUL  :D it always used to stop pecking problems, though it sounds like yours is more an attacking problem.

Does he have a favorite female nearby and maybe is protecting their territory for her?

I have 4 Rouen a pair from 3 years ago, and 2 new females hatched out because I thought drakes are supposed to need more than one female.  They all lived happily  together throughout last summer and the winter.  But when the breeding season started he drove the 2 new females off the pond and kept them away from the feed trough to the extent I had to move them out, even though the pen and pond are about an eighth of an acre.  Now the breeding season is over they are back in together and everyone  is happy again!!

But of course though the 2 new females laid well all the eggs were infertile, and the single duck seemed to lay every egg bar one where the magpie could get it

I think I am giving up ducks :mad:

Good luck with yours
Sue
I love my traditional clean legged English Cuckoo Marans

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 17:40 »
Drakes can be very rough with ducklings and as a result when mine started coming out I got them a dog/small pet pen to go in so that they could be moved around but be safe from the boys until they were about 6 weeks old and big enough to look after themselves. As for the wound have you got some purple antiseptic spray as this would be best to spray over the area?  :)

two webbed feet

• Two Webbed Feet
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 20:38 »
Thanks Sue, thanks Caralou.  I guess I'm just going to have to keep them separated - perhaps let the drake out for a while and then put him in so that I can let out the mum and ducklings.  Do you mean just normal antiseptic spray ie for us 10-toers  :D???

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 11:58 »
Thanks Sue, thanks Caralou.  I guess I'm just going to have to keep them separated - perhaps let the drake out for a while and then put him in so that I can let out the mum and ducklings.  Do you mean just normal antiseptic spray ie for us 10-toers  :D???

This is a spray you can get from horsey/feed shops. It is healing and covers up any redness that may encourage an attack. It also deters flies.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Charles

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 17:46 »
I have a large Aylesbury and two Minature Silver Appleyards.

Five weeks ago a nest of several eggs produced three MSA ducklings and one Appleyard-Aylesbury duckling.

The drake was fairly unpleasant to all four ducklings at first and ended up in the garage at night for several days but then settled down and was allowed back in the shed.

This morning I opened the shed door to find the Appleyard-Aylesbury covered in blood with beak marks around its neck.  No other predators can get in the shed - so it must have been a nasty attack by the drake again.

This duckling has survived the day but I don't think it's chances are very good.

Charles Shepherd
Cotswolds

Helenaj

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 07:45 »
The antiseptic spray you mention is called gentian violet - it's a natural antiseptic and dye and colours any pecked raw areas bright violet (it will eventually wear off). You should be able to get it from any country store that sells animal feedstuffs etc. I bought mine from a Countrywide store, but if you can't get it locally you should be able to order it online for next day delivery for about £10.00.
As for separating the ducklings, when I need to introduce new hens to my flock I use a very large dog cage (48" long by 24"wide) that I bought new off Ebay for £32.00. It has a solid metal bottom so is easily cleaned and gives them enough room to wander about without risk of pecking from the other birds. I put them in that for a day or two after their quarantine period and put it into the main enclosure near the feeding station, so they get lots of visits from the hens as they come to feed. You get squabbles through the bars, but the other hens can't get their beaks in to cause any damage. That usually sorts the worse of the "pecking order" problems, with the odd squabble when they are eventually released into the flock.
You will need to cover the roof though as it is not weather proof or sun proof, so they will need a shaded/rain proof area in the cage - I cover about 18 inches of the rear of the cage for this purpose. I wouldn't be without mine as I've used it to death and it packs away into a flat pack for easy storage when not being used.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 08:14 by Helenaj »

two webbed feet

• Two Webbed Feet
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 08:56 »
I have separated the ducklings from the rest of the ducks for a few weeks now and the poor pecked runner has gone from strength to strength and looks so much better  :) The Mum (a runner herself) sits near to the ducklings during the day and also one of the other females (a streicher) likes to sit next to their enclosure which is lovely to see.  However, the drake still has mad turns when he suddenly remembers they're in his garden and waddles as fast as he can from the other side of the garden and pecks at their fencing. 

Any ideas when and how to try letting them join in with everyone else or do you think the drake will always want to get them, particularly as I'm pretty sure the duckling runner is a drake??  The ducklings are coming up for 7 weeks old.

Thanks for your help  :) :)

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 20:51 »
Is the drake a favorite pet.  If not it may be time to part company with him in some way.  You could find out if there is a local bird auction coming up, there often are in autumn.  Animals and birds have their own personalities and maybe his is just not very nice. And you sound as if you have other drakes if you still need fertile eggs

Of course there are other options............

All the best
Sue

two webbed feet

• Two Webbed Feet
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 17:25 »
Thanks for your message, Sue.  I have to say, he's not such a favourite pet these days, although he is a very handsome bird.  I have posted on the "free to a good home" section to find homes for the ducklings as I feel as if it's fairer to find them a new home (together) rather than find a home for Derek the drake who's so aggressive.  However........if I can't rehome the ducklings then other options may have to be considered.  I hadn't thought about taking him to a bird auction so that could be one to investigate.

Thanks again,  :) :)

Jo

xx
Drake and chicks.

Started by orchardlady on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 09:09
by joyfull
clip
Bullying drake

Started by Shell1553 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 27, 2019, 20:35
by New shoot
xx
Dead Drake :(

Started by Liv on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 27, 2010, 20:09
by Liv
xx
Drake prolapse...

Started by Foxy on The Hen House

47 Replies
Last post March 24, 2009, 18:10
by Foxy

Page created in 0.666 seconds with 37 queries.