Help with my broad beans

• 11 Replies

beth123

• Experienced Member
Help with my broad beans
« on: July 16, 2010, 06:38 »
Hi there

I've had loads of problems this year with my broad beans and they seam to be never ending.  I've finally got a few growing but now they've started to turn black.  Does anyone know what could be causing this?  I've had a big black fly problem but sorted them out using washing-up liquid, could this be connected?   

Allotment Jon

Re: Help with my broad beans
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 08:37 »
Same problem here. Used the washing up liquid diluted down and seemed to work however all my plants are now black and can not seem to find any fly's.

I do not know if I need to dig them up or if they will recover at all.

It's a shame as first time for broad bean and was looking forward to eating.

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 13:50 »
Hi - I've grown broad bean for years, and never sprayed, but just pinched out the tops when the bottom bean has set, but this year I have lost 2 lots to black fly. 

I put it down to the fact that the massive rape field next door to me was sproyed for pollen beetle early in the year,  And I assume that anything that kills pollen beetle kills ladybirds which are usually the one that eat my black fly.

All the best
Sue
I love my traditional clean legged English Cuckoo Marans

Livinhope

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 14:51 »
I planted one lot of beans out quite early and they escaped the blackfly.  I just nipped the tops out when it was obvious there would be no more flowers.  The second, later lot are covered in blackfly.  Admittedly our beans were over earlier than other peoples but at least we got them.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 15:22 »
Hi there

I've had loads of problems this year with my broad beans and they seam to be never ending.  I've finally got a few growing but now they've started to turn black.  Does anyone know what could be causing this?  I've had a big black fly problem but sorted them out using washing-up liquid, could this be connected?   

If you are saying that the leaves now have a black deposit instead of blackfly I'm thinking it could be sooty mould, which grows on the honeydew secreted by the aphids.

If the aphids have now gone the sooty mould should also disappear soon. Don't think the washing up liquid would have harmed them unless you put it on neat!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 00:41 »
Just an update on my Broad Beans. 

The black fly were so disgusting I didn't want to even walk near them, and then there were masses and masses of cardinal beetles, crawling all over them and mating like mad.  Guess what?  Every black fly gone, and I even harvested enough (admittedly small though very sweet) to feed about 6 people. 

I you can bear to leave it nature will often sort things out, its just that it doesn't always fit in with our own idea of what is a suitable time scale.

Sue

NavyD

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 12:01 »
This year my beans (plants) are abt 6 feet tall but only just beginning to show small beans. Is this height at all common? In the past 4 feet or so was my norm. Even my Suttons are abt 3.5 ft and the pkt says "up to 18ins". First time I've tried Sutton. Whats happening??
NavyD

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 12:13 »
Hi there

If you are saying that the leaves now have a black deposit instead of blackfly I'm thinking it could be sooty mould, which grows on the honeydew secreted by the aphids.

If the aphids have now gone the sooty mould should also disappear soon. Don't think the washing up liquid would have harmed them unless you put it on neat!

I'm with you JayG ..... Sooty Mould (and no sign of Sweep!)

It's very sticky stuff and quite hard to revove. I think my 2nd and third BB had the same.  :(
Well... it's been a good year for blackfly  :tongue2: after a poor start.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

annie b

• Thinking of the Days
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 13:18 »
My first lot of broad beans were absolutley beautiful and prolific...I planted them out on Good Friday.

The second lot I planted about 3-4 weeks later...haven't done so well at all...adn blackfly jsut started as they were coming to end...but oncly about half to two thirds of the yield of the first planting.
Thinking of the Days

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 17:43 »
My first lot of broad beans were absolutley beautiful and prolific...I planted them out on Good Friday.

The second lot I planted about 3-4 weeks later...haven't done so well at all...adn blackfly jsut started as they were coming to end...but oncly about half to two thirds of the yield of the first planting.

Better some than none.  ;)

But I do know what you mean. I planted 3 lots. The first were fabulous and then the blackfly arrived. :( Hardly a sausage bean from the rest.  ::)

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 19:54 »
Terrible year.  All over the allotment broad beans have been completly covered in blackfly despite pinching out.  Then the leaves and stems have turned black and rotted.  Just rows and rows of black stalks left standing. Foot Rot and Stem Rot according to the book. I have had a total of 300g poor quality beans off 80 plants, or a single meal for four. Glad it's not just me.

Never mind. To compensate I have got more peas than Birds Eye this year. And no sign of the Pea Moth weavil. ::)

Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

annie b

• Thinking of the Days
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 08:44 »
Terrible year.  All . Foot Rot and Stem Rot according to the book. I have had a total of 300g poor quality beans off 80 plants, or a single meal for four. Glad it's not just me.

oh dear gremlin...and learner too.Luckily I really went for it with the first sowing..got at least 20 pounds of beans....
Will definitely plant out early again next year.Another lesson learned!I agree peas have been wonderful.....

xx
Broad beans without broad beans inside!

Started by Jackypam on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 29, 2013, 16:56
by Aunt Sally
xx
healthy Broad Beans flowers ...no beans see pics advice ?

Started by Sir Growalot on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 05, 2008, 18:47
by gobs
exclamation
French beans and broad beans

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 13:44
by lovemyveg
xx
Why do some broad beans have big pods but no beans?

Started by Mrs Bee on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 24, 2012, 21:40
by Mrs Bee

Page created in 0.493 seconds with 36 queries.