Re: Some greenhouse questions
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2010, 12:03 »
Here's an infestation I prepared earlier :(
IMG_2773_RedSpider.jpg

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2010, 22:27 »
I haven't got any cobwebs and colonies but the leaves are very dry and crisp and my neighbour seemed very confident it was red spider mite.  It does only seem to be affecting the cucumbers so far though there are a couple of suspicious marks on the aubergines.  Two cucumbers have matured since it took hold but I don't know if I can expect any more.

VeggieVirgin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 22:36 »
One of my tomato plants has leaves that look a bit like that, and some of the lower ones have been munched by something - but I can't see any beasties on them.

VeggieVirgin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 22:41 »
Thanks for the reply, Kristen. Your greenhouse sounds very productive.

Is it a solid floor?

The greenhouse is built on a concrete foundation on top of slate/stone, and we put a layer of scalpings inside to make it level - so there's no soil.

We don't have any louvre ventilation - we've just got four windows in the roof. At the moment, we're just opening a couple of them a little bit, because it's quite cool and windy here in Wales right now, but when we had the heatwave, we were opening them all. We can only open the door a wee bit (otherwise the peacock, chickens and puppies would investigate).

Togalosh

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2010, 22:50 »
Hello VV,

As far as the ventillation goes I recon it's about balancing air changes (as plants need to take carbon out of the air to grow) with temperature &/or humidity control.

I've got an automatic vent opener to control the heat (which also increases the air changes). I'd recommend one - but not a Jemp Vent as they fail after a short time. I've also got a few polycarbonate panels (used to replace the odd broken pane) that have louvre vents fitted to them (cheapo ones from local hardware shop)..placed at different heights it helps air circulation..or so I think.

I only grow toms in my greenhouse & keep the door closed to keep out blight that seems to claim everyone elses toms - it's worked so far...but I think different plants like different humidity/heat so you may need to experiment.

It must be such a luxury to have such a big greenhouse...I'm not envious..much.

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2010, 09:20 »
Thanks for the reply, Kristen. Your greenhouse sounds very productive.

Is it a solid floor?

We can only open the door a wee bit (otherwise the peacock, chickens and puppies would investigate).

We have three cats and I used to leave the door open just a smidgen in the spring when I had lots of seedlings, but I leave it wide open now all day and the cats don't bother to come in as there are no cosy seed trays to sleep on and hardly any floor space either!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2010, 09:26 »
I agree, I think being able to leave the door open, to cool the greenhouse, is important, so perhaps some sort of netting that you can use to keep the critters out?

Even just something propped against the doorway - such as weld-mesh (assuming they won't hop/fly over it)

I don't think one of those door-way vertical-streamers would do as my guess is that it would not allow enough air though.

xx
Some greenhouse questions

Started by teflon on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 23, 2009, 19:55
by paintedlady
xx
A few questions

Started by Hodgey on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post March 03, 2008, 07:53
by Hodgey
xx
Two questions?

Started by Goldfinger on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 09, 2012, 19:43
by gobs
xx
Various questions.

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 11, 2012, 19:57
by A Reyt Tayty

Page created in 0.504 seconds with 36 queries.