Some greenhouse questions

• 21 Replies

VeggieVirgin

• Experienced Member
« on: July 15, 2010, 20:47 »
We've recently acquired a greenhouse. It's quite a big one: 14 ft x 8 ft. I'm looking for some pointers on how to make the best use of the space.

At the moment, we have five tomato plants and five cucumber plants in big pots on the floor, two courgette plants in a growbag, and we also have a shelving unit, which is in the center, against the back wall (i.e. opposite the door). It has to go in the center, because it's too tall to go against the side wall (because of the slope of the roof).

Next year, I'm hoping to grow lots more stuff other than tomatoes and cucumbers, so I'm looking for some pointers on making the best use of the space. I wonder how other people organise their greenhouses.

Also, should we be opening any windows for ventilation even on relatively cold days, or is it OK to leave all the windows closed when it's not very warm outside?

Any help appreciated - I'm new to this game!

sueanthony

Re: Some greenhouse questions
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 21:14 »
Hi there, my green house is not as big as yours, it sounds lovely.  I also have lots of tomatoes.  I usually plant them into grow bags on the ground and put a cane frame around them to tie in.  I also grow aubergines, peppers and chilli plants which usually do very well.  I have in previous years grown cucumbers and courgette plants outside.  I think they are hardy enough to cope so you can save the greenhouse for more tender ones. 
Hope this helps.  Good luck X

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 21:21 »
Courgettes in particular do not need to be in a greenhouse.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

VeggieVirgin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 22:00 »
Courgettes in particular do not need to be in a greenhouse.

Ours do, because we've got free-range peacocks and chickens, plus sheepdog puppies (which have already destroyed a large delphinium and a lavatera). :blink:

We're in the process of building raised beds, which will be completely enclosed in a big fruit cage, but in the meantime the only prospect of survival for the courgettes is for them to stay in the greenhouse. Next year I'll plant the courgettes outside.

Babstreefern

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 22:08 »
My greenhouse isn't as big as your (sigh!!), so I have two (came with the plot).  In one I grow only tomatoes, in the other one, I have different things, eg, cukes, aubergines, peppers, cape gooseberry (they're only in there because I can't bring myself to throw them away), and last, but not least, my grapevine.  I dug it in at the back of the greenhouse (opposite the door), with the roots in the ground and have trained it to go across the top of the greenhouse (indoors).  I've got tons of grapes on it at the moment :D
Babs

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 22:39 »
With a greenhouse that size you could consider fruit like grapes across the roof, or maybe a peach on the back of it inside.

Best to keep it well ventilated all the time imho -- different to draughty of course  :lol: I leave windows and doors open at this time in the year, unless it is very very windy

PS Could you add your locality to your profile please, as that will help with answers  :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 22:43 »
In my 10 x 8 I've got tomatoes, peppers, basil, aubergines, cucumbers and lemon grass.  It's my first full year with a greenhouse  and have never grown the last three before but have already cropped loads of cucumbers and there are quite a few baby aubergines now so I'm really pleased.  Also I have never cropped tomatoes before August before but am picking both indoor and outdoor now.  Only problem is red spider mite - I started with a clean slate and felt confident I wouldn't get it - I keep the greenhouse well ventilated, leave the doors open in the daytime and damp down the floor but my neighbour pointed out the signs to me about a week ago though it seems to be only affecting the cucumbers so far.   I have sprayed with an organic spray but the cucumber leaves look pretty bad and a couple of tiny cucumbers have dropped off and there is only one cucumber left between three plants.  Looks like my crop might be over  :( .

I have left my louvres open day and night for the last few weeks and doors open during the day.  The roof vents are automatic.  It has been warm here day and night for the past couple of months.  I suggest you get a maximum/minimum thermometer and keep an eye on the weather forecast.  Close the windows at night when it is forecast to drop below about 15 degrees and you will okay. 

VeggieVirgin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 22:47 »
cape gooseberry (they're only in there because I can't bring myself to throw them away)

I fancied trying cape gooseberries next year. Are they worth a go?

VeggieVirgin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 22:50 »
Only problem is red spider mite - I started with a clean slate and felt confident I wouldn't get it - I keep the greenhouse well ventilated, leave the doors open in the daytime and damp down the floor but my neighbour pointed out the signs to me about a week ago 

Eek - what are the signs of red spider mite?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 22:54 »
cape gooseberry (they're only in there because I can't bring myself to throw them away)

I fancied trying cape gooseberries next year. Are they worth a go?

They sure are  :D :D They keep for ages, and very prolific and you can do all sorts with them too.

Lst lot I grew some time ago were about a metre tall, but this year I have some in a low polytunnel only 75cm tall and they have flowers on at about 30-40 cm

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 07:46 »
At the moment, we have five tomato plants and five cucumber plants in big pots on the floor, two courgette plants in a growbag, and we also have a shelving unit, which is in the center, against the back wall (i.e. opposite the door). It has to go in the center, because it's too tall to go against the side wall (because of the slope of the roof).

Is it a solid floor? I grow in the greenhouse border and replace the soil each Winter (well "soil" is actually a mix of my home made compost and manure, its fairly rough when it goes into the greenhouse, but lovely when it comes out the following year and goes onto the beds :)

I used to grow in pots but got fed up with having to water so often, also my beds are "lowered" so provide more soil-to-ceiling height than the tops of pots did, so I can get an extra truss or two on my Tomato plants

"Next year, I'm hoping to grow lots more stuff other than tomatoes and cucumbers, so I'm looking for some pointers on making the best use of the space. I wonder how other people organise their greenhouses."

On one side I grow Tomatoes (a row along the central path), then a "middle" row of Aubergines & Sweet peppers, and then Melons (against the glass).

Cucumbers at the far end (where you have your staging) so they have a slightly different climate, and less draughts from the open door

On the other side I grow early crops of Sweetcorn (harvested the first ones a week or two back), Dwarf French Beans (as they are self pollinating), Chillies and more Melons and Aubergines.

I have a vine planted outside at the North end which goes in through a pane that I have replaced with a piece of plywood with a hole in it :) and trained inside the roof

After Summer crops I grow some Chinese cabbage and some more dwarf French beans for late crops and over winter crops of Winter Little Gem lettuce, Chard and Kohl rabi.

(I have a second greenhouse that I have staging in and use that for raising plants etc.)

"Also, should we be opening any windows for ventilation even on relatively cold days, or is it OK to leave all the windows closed when it's not very warm outside?"

This time of the year the temperature is not often falling below 15C and I leave half the windows on one side open at the first-notch all night. (I don't open the other side in order not to encourage a through-draught).

During the day, unless the weather is very overcast, the windows are open full, and the door is open a bit (full on very hot days).  I am trying to encourage convection cooling rather than the roaring-gale method! The smaller the greenhouse the more roaring-gale is the only method available, and I think that stresses the plants; with a larger house convection is easier to achieve (particularly if you have louvre windows low down). My door is opposite end to the prevailing wind direction.

Need fresh air in the greenhouse, otherwise moulds will be encouraged, and as I'm not goring anything tropical I figure they will be happy with 15C minimum.

(In the spring when raising Tomatoes / Cucumbers / Melons I never let the temperature fall below 10C)

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 08:29 »
Only problem is red spider mite - I started with a clean slate and felt confident I wouldn't get it - I keep the greenhouse well ventilated, leave the doors open in the daytime and damp down the floor but my neighbour pointed out the signs to me about a week ago 

Eek - what are the signs of red spider mite?

The mites themselves are very tiny and difficult to spot - I have only actually seen one, but I'll take a photo of an affected leaf after breakfast and put it on.

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 11:33 »
This is my sad case of red spider mite - if I am wrong I would appreciate it if someone lets me know :)
DSC02162.JPG

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 11:42 »
Have you got cobwebs and "colonies"?

if not might just be magnesium deficiency (treat with Epsom salts)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 11:45 »
Looks very much like red spider mite Barbarella, especially if the leaves are dry and crisp, and cucumbers do seem to be particularly prone to it. I've even had it on outdoor cucumbers when the weather is particularly dry, although strangely enough my one surviving plant hasn't suffered yet this year!

Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx

Started by teflon on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 23, 2009, 19:55
by paintedlady
xx
Questions, questions, questions...

Started by mandycharlie on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 21, 2007, 05:20
by Gwiz
xx
pea questions :-)

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 08, 2010, 14:56
by new_2_veg
xx
A few PSB questions

Started by Robert_S on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 11, 2012, 11:23
by digalotty

Page created in 1.824 seconds with 38 queries.