Damsons and greengages

• 17 Replies

Livinhope

Damsons and greengages
« on: July 15, 2010, 13:35 »
It is virtually impossible to find anyone in my area North Hampshire/Wiltshire, who grows and sells greengages and damsons (unless anyone knows different).  Which would be the best place (and the most reasonable) to buy small trees.  I'm not too well up on fruit trees but I have seen Apples and cherries growing on a single stems so I imagine the plum family would be the same.

compostqueen

Re: Damsons and greengages
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 14:39 »
It's because they don't travel

Greengages are so gorgeous I can't wait for my lotty neighbour's to fruit so I can get some (he is v generous  :D)

You can buy a tree so that you can grow your own and there are lots of places online that sell them but I only have experience of Deacons on the Isle of Wight.  Your local garden centre or tree nursery might stock them

I have a damson in my lotty hedge and they're dead easy to grow (try stopping them  :D) and my lotty neighbour takes them for wine (good barter system we've got going) They are a bit prickly and unattractive though but worth it  :)

Livinhope

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 15:04 »
I don't care what they look like, in my case beauty is in the tongue of the taster.  I'll have a look at Deacons.  Thankyou.

waddecar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 15:43 »
Keepers nursery in Kent have huge range, not cheap but good quality, mail order only

Livinhope

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 16:16 »
Thankyou.

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 16:49 »
Blackmoor nurseries are good ;)

Livinhope

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 17:41 »
Ok, I'm surfing all these recommendations but as yet I haven't found a small variety.  Many thanks.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 17:47 »
Try R V Rogers of Pickering, they may be able to help?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

nobby

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 20:26 »
avinue nersary lasham just out side basingstoke had some famaly trees with damson and greengage on the same stock my one has tones of frute on it  :D

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 01:31 »
I live in Wilts and I bought a beautiful little tree a few years back from Scotts Nurseries in Somerset, by mail order. It's an Oullins Golden Gage on St. Julien A rootstock, quite a small tree that's given an enormous crop every single year since the second year after planting. I give away baskets of them every year, as well as eating and freezing loads for myself. They're much sweeter than normal plums, beautiful eaten fresh and equally beautiful cooked or in jam. The best fruit purchase I've ever made.

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 05:35 »
Damsons can be foraged if you live in or near the country. I've just planted a gage as a fan against a south wall lots of options.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

compostqueen

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 08:59 »
this thread has made my mouth water. Gages and plums on one tree.  Heaven  :D

That plum sounds gorgeous. I think I will have to get one of each. 

Livinhope

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 10:49 »
I live in Wilts and I bought a beautiful little tree a few years back from Scotts Nurseries in Somerset, by mail order. It's an Oullins Golden Gage on St. Julien A rootstock, quite a small tree that's given an enormous crop every single year since the second year after planting. I give away baskets of them every year, as well as eating and freezing loads for myself. They're much sweeter than normal plums, beautiful eaten fresh and equally beautiful cooked or in jam. The best fruit purchase I've ever made.

I've had a look for the nursery and in Sept 2009 (?) it appears to have been in trouble and was sold.  It looks as though it was taken over and the name kept but there doesn't appear to be an online shop.  Have you got any more info.  I feel a trip to Somerset coming on.

gillie

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 12:42 »
Scott's of Merriott has closed down following the early death of its manager.  Sad.  It was a very long established company with a huge stock of fruit trees which were sold at auction.

See http://fruitforum.wordpress.com/2009/11/23/scotts-of-merriott-nursery-closes/

Gillie
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 12:48 by gillie »

Livinhope

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 12:46 »
I'll just take down the names you've got and hunt around.. It sounds the ideal tree for me.

Thanks anyway.

xx
Damsons

Started by Flowertot on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 12, 2016, 19:14
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Damsons

Started by evie2 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 19, 2010, 11:51
by codheadred
clip
Damsons

Started by Fletch24 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 29, 2022, 12:20
by mumofstig
xx
Damsons

Started by sweet nasturtium on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post December 04, 2007, 18:39
by gobs

Page created in 0.664 seconds with 36 queries.