Has anyone used lime wash on a wooden hen house??

• 11 Replies

redmolly

• Experienced Member
Has anyone used lime wash on a wooden hen house??
« on: July 14, 2010, 14:00 »
If so....was it a great mite killer?? I hadn't thought about it before, but a farmer (at my advanced rehab) says I should try it. God knows what my shed will look like though!! Ha ha!!! :D

lisa80

Re: Has anyone used lime wash on a wooden hen house??
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 19:19 »
Hi i read on another forum about using builders lime to paint your coop its worth a try if its not expensive.Ive also read that people have had good results with dettol to get rid of red mite  :)

RichardA

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 17:58 »
When I was a child I had a rabbit and we painted out its hutch with lime wash regularly to keep it sweet.
BUT BUT BUT remember it is dangerous stuff both as wash and as a powder.
R

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 15:10 »
When I was young - in the 50's my parents regularly used lime wash in the hen houses.  you have to be very careful not to get it in your eyes,  I certainly managed to as a child, but I survived - (come to think of it perhaps that's why my eyesight is so bad :( )

I have used it on the hen houses since and its good as it dries white, so keeps them light inside.  Its pretty gloopy so it probably seals them in the cracks, and I know they don't like to get wet either.

You have to remember to add the lime to the water not other way round, and 'elfnsafety would probably say you should wear goggles - that's if they allow it at all ::)

All the best Susan
I love my traditional clean legged English Cuckoo Marans

redmolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 18:45 »
Thanks all!! I may give it a go!! Yes I read that I must wear goggles!! Not sure how long the chooks would have to stay out of it though?????? More than a day???

Have had good results with dettol though....but the lime also kills any woodworm and other evil mites too so I hear!!

Apparently the dettol breaks down their outer shell??!! Actually the chooks have had a dip in the odd diluted warm dettol bath!! Followed by a little towel dry and later a good dusting!! They don't complain too much  :)

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 19:19 »
I painted mine in the day and put them in on the evening.  The house was good and dry to start off, and pretty well soaked up the stuff as it was painted on.  The mites dont like the wet, and as I said it fills in the cracks and crevices where they live.

The birds probably wont be keen on going back in, but that more because it looks a bit strange.

I've never noticed any problems, and I presume that was what all whitewash was originally so most domestic animals, birds and humans come to that, have probably been exposed to it for centuries at least.

All the best Sue - and dont forget water first, then add lime and stir :)

redmolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 19:41 »
Got it Sue!!! Many thanks!!!  :) :)

lisa80

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 10:45 »
I noticed we had some red mite underneath the perches so hubby srubbed out with a dettol mix .Appart from it smelling good it seems to have kept on top of them ,i wont say they are all gone but it has prevented an infestation .Definaltly going to do the lime wash before winter sets in :)

hillfooter

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 01:11 »
Hmmmm.  I'd be a little more concerned about what effect this could have on the chickens if ingested or gets in their eyes rather than the cost. 

Why not try the using Diatom instead.?   I use Diatom added to a disinfectant base plus a dash of fairy liquid.  The abrasive and dehydrating effect of the diatom deters the mites from colonising the house.  The disinfectant I use is an Iodine based one which works when dry too and is effective on dirty surfaces, Vanodine V18.  Use the dirty surface concentration.  Iodine is an oxidising agent and is widely used in the poultry industry.  It's safe for animal use.  Dettol which is a phenolic and hence caustic I doubt is safe in high concentrations.  You'd certainly need to let it dry before reintroducing chx.

HF
Truth through science.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 14:04 »
I also use Vanodine V18 as a disinfectant when cleaning out my coups as it kills lots of bugs and viruses  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

lisa80

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 20:29 »
we use diatom after every clean and stalosan to disinfect but with this heat and changable weather we have still manage to get red mite :(

hillfooter

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 01:05 »
we use diatom after every clean and stalosan to disinfect but with this heat and changable weather we have still manage to get red mite :(

Do you paint it on as a slurry or dust it?  If you dust it change to painting it on it keeps the dust down and coats all the surfaces RM might colonise.

Diatom isn't a sure treatment but it does help discourage them.  The real solution is a residual lasting pesticide.
HF

xx
Wooden Hen house and run

Started by danfinn1 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 12, 2016, 18:56
by grinling
xx
To wash or not to wash that is the Question

Started by morganmarni on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 18, 2009, 18:15
by morganmarni
xx
Egg wash?

Started by cammi on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 17:24
by ehs284
xx
what do i wash my eggs with

Started by upert on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post September 01, 2008, 12:57
by woodburner

Page created in 0.269 seconds with 31 queries.