advice re grapes pls

• 4 Replies

seanandde

advice re grapes pls
« on: July 14, 2010, 08:53 »
We planted a vine 2 years ago, mostly for ornamental purposes and to cover a big expanse of bare fence, though I bought it from my local, trusty nurseryman and it is a dessert variety.  Indeed the grapes last year were lovely.

Loads of bunches of tiny (thus far) grapes this year but just the slighest touch and they're falling off in showers. 

Can anyone tell me why this is happening please?  Is it possibly the very hot, dry weather - we did soak it once or twice during the last 3 weeks.. or perhaps I should have thinned the bunches?

Any advice welcome ass to whether there's anything we can do to remedy this :)  Should have said, the vine is otherwise very healthy and vigorous.

Sid

• Experienced Member
Re: advice re grapes pls
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 09:19 »
I had a simular experiance with my vine last year for the first time we had some grapes forming but most flowerd and dropped off. >:(
I read somewhere that in the autumn cut vine back to three main feeders which I did and it worked because this summer our vine is abundent with lovely bunches of grapes.
They are black variety,still green at the mow but it's early yet,hope this might help a little. :)
if you want to be happy for a short time, get drunk; happy for a long time, fall in love; happy for ever, take up gardening

seanandde

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 09:44 »
Ah, thanks, that would probably make sense.  In its first year it obviously wasn't so big and didn't drop fruit then; this year it's rampant and we didn't prune as you've mentioned (or at all, actually) to encourage fruiting because its purpose was ornamental.   I suppose we need to decide next year whether we want lots of grapes that won't fall off or more leafy growth to cover the fence.

Thanks again :)

Sid

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 14:25 »
Just to add seanandde our vine has really flourished this year,with lots of fruit and foliage,and has almost covered the roof of our conservatory which it has never done before . :)

seanandde

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 14:43 »
I love the fact they grow and cover things so quickly :)  Though another I planted last autumn in what you'd think a perfect spot against a very sunny fence - a 'vinifera', ornamental but unpalatable grapes I'm told - hasn't done anything at all.  It's just sulking at about the same height/spread as when planted.

I've literally hundreds of bunches on the other vine but, as I mentioned, the actual fruits on each are very sparse as most have dropped off :(

xx
Advice on Grapes!!!!

Started by Brad26 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 28, 2009, 20:30
by TheModfather
xx
Growing Figs, Grapes, and kiwi fruit Advice please

Started by carlrmj on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 15, 2011, 18:57
by realfood
xx
grapes

Started by van connick on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 25, 2007, 18:54
by van connick
xx
Grapes

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post June 14, 2014, 22:54
by chickpeacurry

Page created in 1.002 seconds with 28 queries.