Harvesting Carrots

• 26 Replies

Maccbean

• Experienced Member
    • My Bigger Picture Photo Gifts
Harvesting Carrots
« on: July 13, 2010, 16:50 »
I'd like to see if any of my carrots are ready, but I'm too scared to pull one up in case carrot fly comes and destroys the rest.  Can anyone reassure me?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Harvesting Carrots
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 16:59 »
If you have had them securely netted then just lift the edge, whip one out smartish, and put the net back!

If you haven't netted them plucking one out isn't going to significantly increase the risk you have already taken!  :blush:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Maccbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 17:06 »
Whaaaa, what do you mean netted? How big are these flies, bird sized?   ??? Nooooo, my carrots will be destroyed.  What do I do now?  Should I net them or is it simply too late?  I planted them with onions, will that have protected them enough?  Now I'm definitely too scared to pull one up. :(

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 17:13 »
The flies are about housefly size but you rarely catch them up to their devilish deeds!

If the leaves look green and healthy you may well have got away with it (if they have turned reddish and are obviously struggling you probably haven't!)

Have a stiff drink first and be brave!

Maccbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 17:56 »
OK, did it, they look fine! :)  However, I'm going to have to get a grip next year, you can see by the photo that my fear even of thinning out has resulted in mostly small, but lots of very tiny carrots! :wub:
carrots.gif

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 18:06 »
OK, did it, they look fine! :)  However, I'm going to have to get a grip next year, you can see by the photo that my fear even of thinning out has resulted in mostly small, but lots of very tiny carrots! :wub:

They're not tiny, they're "bijou" and "bite-sized"! Very trendy!  :)

Glad you've got something to show for your efforts; some people on here have all sorts of problems growing carrots but having them totally ruined by carrot fly has got to be the worst!

Christo

• Spring has Sprung!
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 21:50 »
Bit worried about this carrot fly now. Didn't even know about netting carrots! Wo is me. Doom, Doom and Gloom!

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 21:59 »
Personally dont think you can beat the taste or texture of a finger sized caroot cooked or raw and still in its skin.
Welldone Maccbean :D

BADBACK

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 22:20 »
ola
i like to grow my carrots in large tubs
i too worry about carrot fly
but just before i lift carrots i spray
disinfectant around the base of the pot
helps keep the fly away

Maccbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 10:22 »
Had them for my dinner and very nice they were too.  Since I have hundreds crammed in, I'm hoping they won't be destroyed before I get through them!

Bit worried about this carrot fly now. Didn't even know about netting carrots! Wo is me. Doom, Doom and Gloom!

Me neither, I thought this veggie lark was gonna be easy; how wrong I was.  The worry of it all!! ::)

hamstergbert

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 15:12 »
It can help if you grow some carrots in the flower tubs - you may be able to keep them up off the decks ie above the local flight ceiling of the rascals.  A couple of feet above ground level usually does it.  We keep a couple of tubs on top of a 4ft high old coal bunker just outside the kitchen door of the hamstergbert hovel.  Easy to keep watered and dead convenient when ready to harvest a handful.

One other attraction of doing this is that you can position individual seeds on the top of whatever growing medium you are using and finish off dusting multi-purpose on top of them before the fine rose watering in.  That way every one has enough room and you don't have to thin them.  Possibly a bit a-retentive but actually doing it is quite a therapeutic exercise and only takes a few mins each tub.

However if you do finish up with thin 'uns, just top em, wash em and steam em.  Yum.
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 19:10 »
I just pull mine up when I want some for a meal ... but if you are of particularly anxious disposition :) harvesting in the evening, when Mr Fly has gone to bed, may reduce the risk

slowcompost

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 19:21 »
Thought it was too late for carrot root fly.  Thats why late sowing, early june , is good for carrots. Or am I wrong again ?
As the great Percy Thrower used to say
" OI THINK THE ANSWER LIES IN THE SOIL"

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 22:33 »
The worry of it all!

My Grandfather told me that worry is the best pest attractor there is. Gardening is meant to be a relaxing hobby. Relax.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 22:36 »
Thought it was too late for carrot root fly.  Thats why late sowing, early june , is good for carrots. Or am I wrong again ?

You avoid the first flush that way, but still have the second in July/August to worry about.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
HHHno.17 Harvesting Carrots In Sandy Soil

Started by mkhenry on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post October 25, 2007, 01:41
by mkhenry
xx
can you put autumn carrots in the same place as early carrots

Started by tooo many seeds on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 17:33
by DD.
xx
Harvesting PSB

Started by someoneorother on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 14, 2010, 12:57
by someoneorother
xx
What are you harvesting now?

Started by AdrianH on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post May 28, 2009, 20:27
by yummy

Page created in 3.19 seconds with 37 queries.