Flavour enhancing secrets?

• 20 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Flavour enhancing secrets?
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2010, 19:56 »

Wot no Sweetcorn on your list? Of all the more-tasty-than-Supermarket-stuff that I grow the Sweetcorn is head-and-shoulders in the lead. Always fun to server when we have a few folks round for lunch in the Summer - "Where do you get your Sweetcorn from?" gives me a wry smile :)

Oh Yes, Yes YESSS!
Top of my list for garden/plot perfection compared with the bought variety (if not productivity!)

Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Paul Plots

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2010, 20:01 »

Wot no Sweetcorn on your list? Of all the more-tasty-than-Supermarket-stuff that I grow the Sweetcorn is head-and-shoulders in the lead. Always fun to server when we have a few folks round for lunch in the Summer - "Where do you get your Sweetcorn from?" gives me a wry smile :)

Oh Yes, Yes YESSS!
Top of my list for garden/plot perfection compared with the bought variety (if not productivity!)

No sweetcorn on my list... not tempted yet. Grew it long time ago - it was fine but I remember pondering over when to harvest and haven't tried again since then.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2010, 20:58 »
Well, it remains a very personal choice, doesn't it Learner?

Makes no difference how much the likes of me or anyone else praises the virtues of home-grown sweetcorn (or anything else) if you don't actually like it much!  :nowink:

Trillium

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2010, 23:35 »
We had neighbours who wouldn't eat cob corn. Turns out they'd tried cow corn instead of sweet corn. Not surprising they were turned off corn  :D

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2010, 07:52 »
Grew it long time ago

Long enough ago that the new "supersweet" and "tendersweet" varieties (which also have much shorter growing season) had not been introduced? (like when I-were-a-boy ....)

"I remember pondering over when to harvest"

Yes, agree with that. But they keep a while on the stalk.

You got local mates who grow Sweetcorn? Invite yourself round for lunch and see what you think - no point wasting your own growing space until you are sure!

(I'll now worry about a queue forming outside my own front door!)

Paul Plots

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2010, 23:47 »
Grew it long time ago

Long enough ago that the new "supersweet" and "tendersweet" varieties (which also have much shorter growing season) had not been introduced? (like when I-were-a-boy ....)

"I remember pondering over when to harvest"

Yes, agree with that. But they keep a while on the stalk.

You got local mates who grow Sweetcorn? Invite yourself round for lunch and see what you think - no point wasting your own growing space until you are sure!

(I'll now worry about a queue forming outside my own front door!)

Long ago...em. Noah gave me the seed from a store he had below deck   ::)  :lol:

Sweetcorn is delicious but it takes up room that I'd sooner use for other crops... and (when I last grew it in the 1800s) it was a little on the tough side - probably lack of regular watering... not been tempted since.

xx
secrets to success

Started by gardener247 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 12, 2010, 22:38
by Trillium
xx
Share your secrets to broad bean success

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post May 17, 2009, 10:05
by Stoatus
xx
Tomato flavour

Started by barbarella on Grow Your Own

48 Replies
Last post September 09, 2009, 00:43
by Paul Plots
xx
Loss of flavour

Started by Learnerlady on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 24, 2023, 18:29
by Growster...

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 37 queries.