carrots in a raised bed?

• 13 Replies

plopleuk

• Experienced Member
carrots in a raised bed?
« on: July 12, 2010, 22:31 »
hi, i have been told that carrots don't do well on our allotment site as its clay soil.
if i made a raised bed deep enough to take them and fill as the carrots like would i have success?

Trillium

Re: carrots in a raised bed?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 22:35 »
Yes, it would work well. A nice portion of sharp sand in the mix will keep things loose and the carrot lengths long.

fatcat1955

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 22:37 »
No fresh manure or the carrots will fork.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 22:39 »
Mine works a treat, I wouldnt use any other way to grow carrots now
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 22:40 »
That's exactly what I did as I had very heavy clay.  I used a 50/50 mix of compost and sharp sand and had very good results.  Never could grow carrots in the clay soil.
Cheese makes everything better.

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 22:41 »
I grew mine very well in a small raised bed without soil. I just used the contents of my pallet compost bin mixed with leafmould and grit sand. Best carrots I ever grew  :D

Muddylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 22:43 »
I have London clay soil and have raised beds, I got some great carrots last year by digging drills and filling with compost which I sowed the seeds in. I then covered the seeds with more compost and watered. I would have had even better results if I hadn't sowed too many seeds and then not thinned properly. This year my problem has been the heat (tops drooping over) but have thinned and I am digging up some decent carrots now. I was also told I wouldn't be able to grow carrots or parsnips, but it's not true.  

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 22:45 »
there always seems to be some plot curmudgeons telling folks they can't grow this or that and their raspberries are diseased and should be dug up  :D  We're doomed I tell ye  :nowink: Worried that your veg might be better than theirs I suspect  :D

plopleuk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 23:05 »
thanks all i will now go on to prove them wrong (once ive cleared the site that is) ;)

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 23:14 »
My plot is stony in parts, thats why I gave up and made a raised bed. I've heard the same way of growing in clay soil, and definitely worth a try

Sid

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 07:40 »
Raised beds are deffinately better for carrots :)
if you want to be happy for a short time, get drunk; happy for a long time, fall in love; happy for ever, take up gardening

corndolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 08:51 »
I have grown carrots in  strawberry pots this year,but would like to build raised beds for next year. Is is OK to use these beds every year for carrots or would the soil need to be changed every couple of years or so to avoid any potential problems .

Growing organic fruit and vegetables

crh75

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 11:37 »
I also have a very clay soil. I dug in several wheel barrows of spent compost last autumn. This bed then became a perfect place for both garlic and carrots which do not like clay soil. Sand would have a similar effect, ie aid drainage without adding too much nutrient that would cause carrots to fork.

The spent compost was from the council and has really lightened up the soil.  Alternating bewteen different additions (eg manure, spent compost, home made compost, green manures etc) mean that you can grow anything if you organise your rotation effectively.

Having said that, carrots grown in pots in a 50:50 sand:potting compost mix work brilliantly and can be started off really early and carry on late into the season.

Trillium

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 15:58 »
I have grown carrots in  strawberry pots this year,but would like to build raised beds for next year. Is is OK to use these beds every year for carrots or would the soil need to be changed every couple of years or so to avoid any potential problems .

Carrots are part of the four main crop groups that need rotation, with carrots usually growing in the lowest nutrient soil before that bed gets hit with lots of manure for potatoes (the first and heaviest feeder). In my own garden, as well as my mum's, we never grow carrots more than one year in any spot.
 To grow them in raised beds, you could probably do it for about 2 years but after that you greatly risk fusarium disease and carrot flies affecting your crop. If you alternated a few raised beds with other families (like beets, onions, cukes, etc) you'd be fine but you would need to feed the beds depending on the crop. 

xx
Raised bed for carrots help pls

Started by Lupin lurcher on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post February 25, 2010, 14:11
by Kristen
xx
Carrots and parsnips in raised bed

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 09, 2018, 08:40
by Christine
xx
raised bed for parsnips and carrots

Started by mushroom on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post January 11, 2008, 21:44
by sweet nasturtium
xx
carrots in raised beds

Started by rem858 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 22, 2009, 20:04
by rem858

Page created in 0.552 seconds with 36 queries.