need advise...how to start a planter and what to put in it first

• 7 Replies

colleensj

• learning......
It's in the process of being built.  :)
We can't get an allotment where we are and we dont have lots of land.  :(
But I will have a large long planter by the end of the week....lined and ready to roll...it's roughly 20 inches deep ish  :D

a) Do I put stone/pebble/rubble in the bottom for drainage  :unsure:
b) Then what?? soil?? compost??
c) What would be next and what should I continue to add to it to get something decent to eat from it?

any tips advise will be greatly received
The goal of life is not to arrive at the graveyard in a well preserved body, but instead to skid in sideways, totally worn out yelling "What a ride!".

fatcat1955

I would put a double layer of cardboard at the bottom to supress weeds, then if you can get it 4ins of WELL rotted manure then topsoil. This late in the season you will be restricted to fast growing things like lettuce, spring onions, french dwarf beans, peas. Check out the sowing calender in these forums.

Maxine Groobey

Don't forget herbs! Radishes, baby turnips, stubby carrots, and generally salad crops like mixed leaves are quick :)

colleensj

• learning......
I would put a double layer of cardboard at the bottom to supress weeds, then if you can get it 4ins of WELL rotted manure then topsoil. This late in the season you will be restricted to fast growing things like lettuce, spring onions, french dwarf beans, peas. Check out the sowing calender in these forums.

Maybe a stoopid question but horse manure?? does anyone use any other kind of manure?

What about compost??

thanx for the tips

gypsy

Folks at our site use chicken, pig and cow manure as well as horse manure. I have to make do with chicken pellets as I have no way of transporting manure.
Catherine

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Stones/broken crocks are great for drainage, but will make it much heavier and obviously don't rot down. Although if its a permanent planter then that won't matter, as you will be adding some/all new growing medium every year.  Add any manure shown above, but make sure its well rotted, and don't plant roots crops in or they will fork.  You can use simple MP compost to fill it to the top, and feed plants as they grow.

Its a good time for planting Christmas spuds, but be ready to keep them frost free (if possible to move them in the GH if you can move the planter and if you have a GH!)
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

colleensj

• learning......
Oh ok....might just go for top soil and compost then cos I would love to try n grow some carrots and parsnips when the time comes.

Just peas/beets/leeks and salad stuff for now.....even though I know 'm late getting going I can't wait for next year....just to have afew bits to tend will make me happy.

I'm finding it very relaxing and theraputic at a time of stress in my life....  :closedeyes:

peapod

• Pea Goddess
It's great isnt it? My lotty and garden keep me sane Colleen! I know many who say the same.  Glad you found it  ;)

xx
Potato Planter Help

Started by Markw on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 21, 2012, 10:24
by Markw
xx
parsnips in planter

Started by Lulu on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 01, 2017, 21:10
by Yorkie
xx
potato planter.

Started by babe on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post January 27, 2008, 22:50
by WG.
xx
Large planter

Started by moose on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 16, 2010, 17:24
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.538 seconds with 36 queries.