Preventing flies not just catching them

• 17 Replies

wolverine

• Experienced Member
Preventing flies not just catching them
« on: July 10, 2010, 07:27 »
Ok I've posted before about flies everyone seems to point to the red top fly catcher which is fine but is there a way of stopping the little * from breeding in the first place I'm not about in the day so regular poo picking isn't really an option there is always mountains of poo when I get back. You would think I had 50 hens in my garden not 3.  are there any good safe repelants avaliable or are we stuck with the big ugly smelly red top fly catcher?
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Preventing flies not just catching them
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 07:46 »
where there is pooh, trees, water, flowers etc there will always be flies, so in short no there is no way of eliminating them.
Staffies are softer than you think.

greenun

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 08:22 »
Dung beetles - that's the answer!

;)

Lynda_T

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 09:59 »
Rue - is a natural repellant to flys, it has an smell they dont like so if u grow it in ur garden there will be less of the pesky flies but u wont get rid of them all.  They dont like citris i use citronella oil in the coup and the run keeps the flys down.
:)

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 10:20 »
where there is pooh, trees, water, flowers etc there will always be flies, so in short no there is no way of eliminating them.

Apart from moving to the north or south pole, no flies there. :D

Summer = flies.

otis pony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 20:17 »
i have three girls who are kept in their run until lunchtime everyday and then let out into the garden.  the run is in the shade and i dont have too much of a problem with flies in there, maybe its the shade that deters the flies.  whenever i go out the back door i poo pick as i go, or give a short blast with the hose, about once a fortnight i wash slabs down with a weak solution of jeyes fluid, which the flies don't seem to like. its an ongoing battle i'm affraid :wacko:
...............happiness is wanting what you have, not having what you want.................

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 06:23 »
So then my after admitting I can't prevent them I have my ugly red top fly catcher hanging in my garden however no flies yet have I mixed it right? I seem to have a sediment in the bag. for 10 quid I hope I've not screwed it up  :wub:

greenun

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 09:02 »
I suppose a red top fly catcher is similar to a plastic lemonade bottle strung from a tree with a shilling hole in the side halfway up containing a bit of liquid poo and whatever?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 09:07 »
So then my after admitting I can't prevent them I have my ugly red top fly catcher hanging in my garden however no flies yet have I mixed it right? I seem to have a sediment in the bag. for 10 quid I hope I've not screwed it up  :wub:

Nope sounds about right it takes a week or two to start working fully , you have put it up some where sunny ?

They are truly awesome at catching flies in fact it's quite worrying when you see how many they catch ! 
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Foghorn-Leghorn

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 12:21 »
Ah, you've answered my question about the redtop too... Mine has been up about four days now and is only just beginning to work.  I was worried I'd done something wrong too!  I've had some serious ribbing from the other half after saying how wonderful they were supposed to be!
"The chicken came first—God would look silly sitting on an egg."

— Author Unknown

jhub

• jane
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 12:35 »
I bought the red top fly catcher after reading about it on this site...... and it is extremely effective- haute cuisine for blue bottles. There must be thousands of flies drowning as we speak  BUT it looks horrible so I have draped a very fetching mini curtain around it. Must admit I am dreading disposing of it as per manufacturer's instructions.
Jane

joyfull

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 12:36 »
I have 3 in my garden (1/2 acre with loads of trees plus a beck at the side so thousands of flies normally) my redtops are mainly in the shade in the trees and like Richy said they can take a couple of weeks to work. Mine got about 3/4 full with flies then maggots appeared and broke it all down back to half full. They do smell when you are close to them and they are working, but boy the lack of flies in the garden and house is fantastic. Last year we were plagued with flies in the house (had 2 of the fly zapping things going, fly spray, swatters, window stickies and the old fashioned brown sticky tapes - yuk  :tongue2:) but this year I think so far I have had a grand total of 4 flies  :D

hendreary

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 18:52 »
These "red tops" sound good where can I get them?
Geoff Davis. :)

joyfull

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2010, 20:56 »
me and grannie annie bought ours off ebay (we got 10 between us as this worked out a lot cheaper)  :)

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2010, 21:46 »
I have decided that when mine needs refilling I will use some fish flavoured cat food.....

The contents of the 'bait' seems to be little whitebait type fish so this should work the same !!!

Might get another one for the other end of the garden though ;)

#Forgot to add that mine has been up (in the sun  :wacko:) for 6 days and it is nearly half full  :tongue2:
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

xx
It's catching!

Started by Wildeone on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 09, 2008, 11:03
by Wildeone
xx
Catching my hens

Started by slowef on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 02, 2007, 19:24
by margot
xx
catching the egg laying???

Started by timtheenchanteruk on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 09, 2011, 22:06
by bantam novice
question
catching chickens

Started by peter o on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post May 20, 2009, 23:44
by wildwitchy

Page created in 0.397 seconds with 38 queries.