Fast growing trees

• 18 Replies

BeggerJohn

Fast growing trees
« on: July 09, 2010, 14:45 »
Anyone recommend cheap fast growing trees for garden masking purposes. Obviously we are in a position to control the height of such but need to know of trees purchased at reasonable height that will ensure privacy at the fastest rate.

Lardman

Re: Fast growing trees
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 14:52 »
Probably best in the gardening group but...

Evergreen or deciduous, how high, single tree or hedge ?

BeggerJohn

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 15:00 »
Just a couple really. we have suddenly become overlooked at one point, no disrespect to them but they are always there and we don't really want to have to see them all the time.  
Please feel free to move if wrongly located.

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 16:12 »
Willows grow fast; however, they can seed around a bit and you need to be careful how close to the house or water main they are planted. Your choice will depend on your site and soil too.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

madcat

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 17:11 »
How much height are you going to need for a screen?  I was just thinking that a bush/hedge - up to 6' or so might be faster to get in place.  Hazel or mock orange could get to that in a season.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

mobilekat

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 09:03 »
Eucalyptus also grows fast, and looks good, we planted one a few years back after the neighbours tree that shaded part of our garden went, also Bamboo can provide a good screen (and sounds good).

There are lots to choose from, do you have a theme to that part of your garden?

And as a temporary measure would a screen made form bamboo poles with beans growing over it help?
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

BeggerJohn

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 18:05 »
Thanks all they really need to be higher than 8 ft eventually. They are required purely as a screen and need to work at first floor level as well   A conifer planted years ago has reached correct height now, and works well. However would prefer these next two to grow a bit quicker.

BeggerJohn

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 18:47 »
I think it has got to be Lalandi. I read extensively over the weekend and thin the shallow root structure and ability to control, if pruned every year makes them ideal. I had an inkling I would be going down this route but wondered if any others came up with the same suggestion here. It is not neighboring any other garden but a recently opened restaurant whose staff seem to spend more time outside leaning over my garden wall than in their kitchens.

SG6

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 19:23 »
Trouble with Leylandii is that eventually you will lose control. If/when it makes 10 ft you will have problems getting high enough to cut it.

Neighbour has what I think is Escollonia at the end of his for the same reason. Screening from a set of flats.

The tree/shrub is evergreen and appears to get to around the 8-10 foot height. It has managed it in just a few years.

Leaves are darkish green and the new ones are reddish so decorative also.

How about a holly or three?
Have a search on the web for highfield hollies, you can get ones that get to various heights and they are also evergreen, native and provide bird food.

mobilekat

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 11:01 »
If you are going to plant Leylandii you will have to be prepared to be very vigorous in your control of it, and also some councils are very against them! Also they tend to become very brown and ugly where they thin out at the bottom!

The Holly would discourage 'wall leaners' as would something like berberus- plus they both look good!

catllar

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 13:10 »
Noooooo not leylandii, please :ohmy: , you'll have  trouble keeping em to 8ft - that's really  about the size of a decent bushy shrub - yes, escallonia or berberis, plus then you'll get some colour and/or berries for the birdies. However, if you really think that a tree planted last year from a conker that has already made 8 ft isn't growing fast enough, you might be best with a fence plus trellis if that's allowed up to that height! Good luck!

madcat

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 15:21 »
They will stop leaning on the wall once it gets cold ... I suppose they are out for their ciggie breaks ... it will be a quick gasp of nicotine and back in again.

How about a trellis and an evergreen honeysuckle?  Up quickly, good screen, smells nice, birds like it and doesn't blight the ground on your side by taking all the water.

catllar

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 19:07 »
 Oh dear BJ, I must get my glasses changed! I thought your post said you had planted a conker but it wasn't growing fast enough... but no  t'was a Conifer..... Doh!!

fatcat1955

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 21:13 »
Western red cedar (Thuja Plicata Atrovirens) is a much better choice than leylandii.It also recovers well if neglected. i.e. brown areas will regrow

BeggerJohn

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 17:38 »
If you are going to plant Leylandii you will have to be prepared to be very vigorous in your control of it, and also some councils are very against them! Also they tend to become very brown and ugly where they thin out at the bottom!

The Holly would discourage 'wall leaners' as would something like berberus- plus they both look good!

Now I do like the idea of the Holly. Thanks for that.

xx
Suggestions for a fast growing bushes to use as screen

Started by ConfusedGardener on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post April 07, 2013, 21:48
by ConfusedGardener
xx
Fast growing, scented clematis suggestions?

Started by puravida on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post May 20, 2008, 16:52
by gobs
xx
Growing Bonsai Trees

Started by Bizzi Lizzi on General Gardening

17 Replies
Last post November 13, 2010, 14:37
by evie2
xx
Growing mistletoe on apple trees

Started by rainie on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post January 23, 2011, 21:40
by RichardA

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 37 queries.