Planting strawberries in autumn?

• 16 Replies

radiohead

• Experienced Member
Planting strawberries in autumn?
« on: July 08, 2010, 21:40 »
Hi all,
My broad beans...(the ones with insufficient beans in the pods) ::) will soon vacate the plot and I am going to build a raised bed on that part of the plot in hope of getting some strawberries going.
My question is can I plant them in the autumn with a view to getting a crop next season?
Also can anyone recommend a well flavoured,reliable variety...(rather windy/exposed plot)...I guess for mid summer cropping.....And if so can you recommend an online supplier?
Many thanks.

Trikidiki

Re: Planting strawberries in autumn?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 22:32 »
There's no reason you shouldn't plant up the bed in the Autumn, the stumbling block may be finding a supplier with stock at this time of year.

'Conventional wisdom' suggests you should not crop in your first year to allow the plants to 'build up strength' for the following year. In the absence of any sort of tuber, bulb, rhizome or whatever I fail to see where a strawberry plant stores this energy for the following year. I would love to see any data which backs up that commonly held belief.

To my mind as long as the plants have established themselves then I see no reason not to let them crop in the first year, after all that's what mother nature is telling them to do.

I have lots of one year old plants which I have been cropping this year and also taking runners. The plants are as good as the ones I grew last year (that I didn't crop) were at this time.

I have small plants (Sarian) that I grew from seed this year and are now reasonable sized plants.  They are just coming in to flower so I am hoping for a late crop from them although they are less than 6 months old. I may deflower (can I say that) one growbag of four plants to see myself is there is any discernable difference next year.

As for varieties, this year the best have been Christine and Honeoye, although I picked about 8 Honeoye fruits today that had flowered, fruited and ripened in a very shady gap behind the growbag, they had virtually no taste at all whereas fruit from another Honeoye in the same growbag where the fruit had ripened in the sun were as sweet as you'd like.

The few plants I have in a raised bed, I have a wooden frame about a foot high covered in fine chickn wire to keep the birds off. Wire mesh provides a fairly good wind break as it disrupts the flow of the wind. Perhaps something denser like fleece or enviromesh would give even more sheler even if you only put it on the windward side through the worst weather and leave it open to assist insect pollination in the spring. You could also cover them with polythene through the winter which should help them to put on a bit more growth, however remove it when the flowers start to emerge and leave it off until fruiting is finished.

I bought bare rooted plants from T&M this year (Honeoye, Alice and Florence which should give a spread of cropping next year), they arrived practically frozen and looking a bit sorry but they were producing lots of fresh leaves in a very short time and have produced a respectable taster crop this year.

radiohead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 06:31 »
Many thanks for that,lots to digest!!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 06:41 »
Have a look at this thread, I and quite a few of the others on the forum have grown "Irresistible" and been highly delighted.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=60445.0

Thompson & Morgan state dispatch by the end of October, which should suit your timing perfectly.

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/fruit1/product/cww3316/1.html

« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 08:50 by DD. »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 08:04 »
Someone on here recommended Marshmello strawberries so I bought 10 plants for £8.95 (I think!) plus P & P (under £2) from Reads Nurseries, Norfolk. They came as bare rooted plants and have grown huge, cropped heavily and the fruits are soft and sweet and have an old fashioned strawberry taste. I am now propagating runners as we have had all of the strawberries. If this was their first year, we did exceedingly well from them.

I also had Christine and Honeoye plants but it was definitely their first year, they were kept in pots and the flavour was nowhere near as nice although they were far tastier than shop bought ones. They will be transferred to the raised bed this autumn and I may get a better crop from them next year.

I am now researching late cropping varieties as we are back on shop bought strawberries and hating every minute. So if anyone has any ideas........... ;)

Livinhope

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 11:38 »
Have just tried Reads nursery,  the strawberry plants were £10+ for 10 plants, I thought great.  Post and packing £8.65.  Makes the plants nearly £2 each.

Irene

• Experienced Member
    • Idaho Gardening
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 13:01 »
Radiohead:

My question is can I plant them in the autumn with a view to getting a crop next season?

Absolutely. I planted mine last late Sept., early Oct.. I'm not even sure what variety they are, I simply took the last tray that my local nursery could find.

They weren't large plants and they certainly weren't pretty but in their bed they went. This year I'm having a fabulous crop of berries. I'm so glad that I didn't wait.

Good luck.

agingchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 13:47 »
I have just had my strawberry plants (Irresistible) delivered from T&M got them planted in my milk cartons. Soooo looking forward to next year :) :)
I use to be indecisive now I'm not so sure

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 13:59 »
Have just tried Reads nursery,  the strawberry plants were £10+ for 10 plants, I thought great.  Post and packing £8.65.  Makes the plants nearly £2 each.

That does surprise me - although I eventually placed my order over the phone rather than do it online, and they definitely only charged me around £2 because I remember it was the lowest P & P I had been quoted. Hmmmm

radiohead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 17:25 »
Great replies,many thanks.....Definately encouraged to get some in and will have a look at the T&M site tonight!!

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 19:16 »
Have just caught up with myself and had a look at Read's site. I also notice that they are not advertising Marshmello at the moment either. This happened to me before Easter. One week they were being advertised, and the next week they had disappeared from their site. So I phoned them, and they said they were waiting for them to come in and as they were only receiving a restricted number, they hadn't advertised them as they had people waiting for them. They then offered to put me on the list and would contact me when they came in. They did exactly this - I was on holiday at the time - and they arranged to post them out so that they would arrive after I got back home, and that was when they said they would only charge £2 postage.

If it was me, I would phone and ask - you never know! They were extremely helpful and unless the P & P is definitely that price I would definitely use them again. I did a test through checkout (but without paying) and the £8 covers huge amounts of plants so I reckon it is a blanket price for large orders.

radiohead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 21:03 »
I've ordered 20 plus 10 free irrisistable from the T&M website for delivery before end october.....19.99 plus a fiver P&P...but we had a £5 voucher  ,so not too bad.
Dont know if I will have room for so many plants ,will have to see,if not someone else on the site will no doubt use them.
Whats the deal with the no propogation without a license thing with these,can I not use any runners they put out in the future??

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 21:20 »
Probably won't help,  :lol: but have a look at this thread:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=60445.0

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 21:26 »
THIS might be helpful, but I am neither authorised nor sufficiently qualified to suggest anything other than to make up your own minds!

Edit: should add that the most relevant paragraph immediately follows the "bullet points".
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 21:31 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 21:30 »
That's OK then.

I'll put them in the Swap Shop as free, plus a tenner postage.

xx
Strawberries - autumn planting

Started by lucylike on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 13, 2009, 13:59
by sando8901
xx
Autumn planting strawberries

Started by Casey76 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 15, 2009, 23:02
by Trillium
xx
best time to move strawberries and autumn raspberries

Started by Mum2mj on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 24, 2017, 11:44
by Mum2mj
xx
Autumn Planting

Started by Scrubby on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 14, 2008, 21:18
by SnooziSuzi

Page created in 0.917 seconds with 38 queries.