spring onions and spuds

• 3 Replies

jules n tony

spring onions and spuds
« on: July 08, 2010, 14:19 »
hi all we have a spring onion growing in our garden that we didnt plant we had 4 but we ate 3 !! the last is now about 4foot tall with a type of seed pod about an inch from the top of the stalk can anyone tell us what it is and can we still eat the onion??

then there are the spuds we did plant jules dug one plant up on monday because the lower two leaves were yellow when she got the spuds all but 1 were very small the odd one out was large with pimples on in (not white pimples) and quite soft  can anyone help us we are new to growing our own thanks tony

at least i think it is a spring onion !!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 14:51 by jules n tony »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: spring onions and spuds
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 18:46 »
The thing on the spring onion is likely to be a seed head.  You can still eat the onion but it won't store well.

Could the spud have been the original seed tuber?  Lack of water will cause spuds to be small.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

DavidT

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 19:40 »
Tony, how do you know it`s a spring onion? As Yorkie says, the pimply spud is likely to be the original seed potato. Leave any potato plants for a few weeks yet. What variety did you plant, by the way? The important message, though, is keep at it, it will be well worth it. :D

jules n tony

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 02:18 »
well Dave and yorkie thanks for your replys

1. i dont know if it is a spring onion but it just grew in the garden without being planted (maybe that jesus n mary folk had somat to wi it !!) but it was growing with 3 others we ate 3 and they looked like large spring onions so i just thought it was the same

do you think i should eat it sooner rather than later and what to do with the seed pod if that is what it is??

2. we have planted 3 sorts of spuds in the area where our lass dug up the plant so i think you may be right its the original spud we put in but it didnt have dimples when we planted it

3. what is a tuber

xx
autumn planted onions lifted early for spring onions

Started by Lisbon67 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 22, 2013, 20:49
by Annen
xx
overwintering spring onions and bulb onions

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 28, 2019, 19:10
by sunshineband
xx
Spring Onions

Started by webby139 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 23, 2016, 20:19
by berbie
xx
Look like spring onions but are they??

Started by Gemma on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 16, 2008, 19:25
by Sharon

Page created in 0.534 seconds with 36 queries.