Bloomin' bluebottles. Help and advice required please.

• 17 Replies

NormandyMary

You all know the saga of poor Monty by now. We've noticed that he seems to be plagued with bluebottles around his poorly areas, the back of his neck and his lower back mainly. I know that there are no raw patches, a bit crusty with scabs from his injuries, but his feathers are all growing back nicely. Any ideas how I can deter the bluies from attacking him? The other girls try and get them off him, but they seem to be fighting a losing battle.

Thanks once again for any help you can give me.

pigeonpie

Re: Bloomin' bluebottles. Help and advice required please.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 21:29 »
I wonder if the anti-pecking spray that you can buy would be any deterrent to flies?  Otherwise I know that they do spot on treatment for other farm animals so perhaps it might be worth a chat to a helpful vet?

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 08:02 »
I would use purple spray, I don't know if it is available over there.

You could try using a spray for horses for deterring flies but they don't last long and might sting his scabs!
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

NormandyMary

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 18:30 »
Had the shock of my life this afternoon, discovered that Monty's neck wounds were infested with maggots. He had been a bit more under the weather the last day or so, now I now why.
Fighting the urge to vomit, I washed out the affected areas with whatever I could find in the cupboard, then proceeded to pick out the maggots. There must have been about 40. We have cleaned the wounds as best we can, and brought Monty into the house in a box of straw. Tomorrow, Im going to the vets to get some spray Ive read about, and we'll have to see if it works. He was so good letting me do the surgery, he is now looking very contented, has had the yoghurt, oats concoction which he loved and is now watching the cricket with "daddy"
"Mummy" now feels like a ciggie, even though I dont smoke. Ill keep cheking the wounds to see if I've missed any critters, but will be up first thing tomorrow morning to get to the vets.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 21:18 »
Yuck - that's horrible  :ohmy:  No wonder you want a ciggie.  I would be downing a strong drink about now if I was you.

Thank goodness you found them.  Hopefully the vet will be able to give you something to keep the flies off and give Monty a break.  Although he sounds as if he's doing quite well for pampering at the moment  ;)  :D

Evansent

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 21:28 »
You are so brave, I can cope with all bugs...even spiders and I even tackled a wasp nest the other day....BUT maggots...........NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!  :ohmy:

It's not the years that age you, it's the weekends!!!

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 21:51 »
just a thought - i have found that savlon iodine spray works. my cockerel  scratched the skin off one of my girls, leaving a small gash, and after cleaning the wound i gave that a go....healed up nicely and the others didn't peck at it either.

p.s well done on 'demaggoting' if you were in my class i'd give you a sticker and 10 house points!
1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 08:27 »
strangly enough the maggots were doing you a favour - they would have been eating the rotting flesh - yuk yuk yuk  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

TeaPots

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 12:56 »
strangly enough the maggots were doing you a favour - they would have been eating the rotting flesh - yuk yuk yuk  :lol:

Joy is right! Sorry, I know it is gross, but in hospitals, they use a sterile pack of specially bred maggots to pack a deep wound, as the maggots only eat the bad stuff, and they clean a yucky wound more efficiently than sugery. Look it up on the net, debriding wounds, especially ulcers using maggots.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 18:05 »
I'm sure it works wonders but nothing compared to the miracle cure I would have if a nurse was coming to dress any wound I had with a pack of maggots 

How come fly strike on sheep is dangerous then?  I thought the maggots ate into the sheep or is it only some kinds of fly maggots that do that  :unsure:

NormandyMary

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 19:32 »
Monty had a good night, and at 6.30 this morning, he started to cockle, and he cockled, and he cockled. So I came down and gave him his breakfast and sat with him till OH got up. I had only had 4 hours sleep because of the heat!
I went to the vets and luckily she spoke perfect english. She gave me some antibiotic spray, I dont know if its like the purple spray you talk about on here, only its bright turquiose. I couldnt see any more maggots on Mont, so she said the spray alone should be okay. I now have a very funky looking Monty. He has been eating, drinking, talking and pooing all day, the vet said the fact that he cockled was a very good sign. As its still 32 degrees here at 7.30 your time, so I could only be getting 4 hours sleep again tonight.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 20:28 »
Good news about Monty  :D  Not so great about the 4 hours sleep, but I expect Monty will be only too pleased if you get up at 6.30 again to keep him company  :lol:

NormandyMary

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2010, 20:29 »
Monty is continuing to make good progess, he has been cockling all day today. Ive cut his treats down a bit much to his dismay, all the nasty poo was just a bit too much to bear. We had him out walking a bit today, but he really doesnt like the heat. (I actually put ice cubes in his water pot today but dont tell anyone, they'll think im crackers, I left the lemon slice out though, I know they dont have citrus!)At least he has the fan on him all day in the lounge, and tonight, he's got the World Cup  ::)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2010, 20:59 »
You are never going to get him out of the house and slumming it back in the hen run now you know  ;)  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

jhub

• jane
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2010, 12:48 »
I used maggot therapy on leg ulcers (not mine I hasten to add) They eat the dead tissue and leave a clean and healthy wound crater which can then heal.
Also leaches are used in plastic (not cosmetic) surgery to 'deal' with collections of blood which, if left, compromise the blood supply to the affected area.

xx
Feeling sorry for herself, advice required

Started by rcandy2001 on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post May 09, 2009, 14:52
by Hengist
xx
Pox advice & opinions required!!

Started by redmolly on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 25, 2009, 21:03
by redmolly
xx
Some advice on auto sexing required?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post December 27, 2012, 20:41
by darkbrowneggs
xx
My first broody experience, advice required please!

Started by Chablis Dog on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 16, 2010, 16:54
by Chablis Dog

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 38 queries.