Warning.. silly question about onions

• 6 Replies

newatthis

• Experienced Member
Warning.. silly question about onions
« on: July 07, 2010, 14:54 »
hello, like the heading says, when is the best time to pull them and this is the silly question do you have to dry them and if so how????, thanks
zoe pattinson :)

Trillium

Re: Warning.. silly question about onions
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 16:08 »
When you notice onion tops starting to fall over and/or go brown is when the plant has finished growing. Some folk like onions only a certain size or need to harvest them by a certain time for varying reasons, so they'll push the tops over so they're horizontal to the ground and leave them for a while to start 'dying back'.

Here's more info on proper curing which is very necessary to keep onions overwinter.

http://www.garden.org/foodguide/browse/veggie/onions_harvesting/501

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 16:39 »
When the leaves have flopped and go yellow. Lift them all slightly with a fork but leave them in the ground afterwards for a couple of days. Harvest on a dry day and put them in a dry place such as the greenhouse if not too warm there, or shed. Store them upside down in something that will allow air circulation between the bulbs and leaves, and cut the roots and heavy leaves off. Leave them to dry until the skins rustle and can be pulled off easily.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

newatthis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 16:46 »
i remember when my grandad used to grow onions, he used to take my nan's clean tights and hang them in them to dry in the shed, my nan used to moan about it LOL, im woundering should i do the same(not my nan's tho, my she rest peace)...

totalnovice

• kates allotment adventure
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 20:18 »
Hiya,

I dried mine on the patio for a week, had to bring them home after digging them as other plot holders on my site had had their onions stolen  :ohmy:

I have strung them up, tied 8 or 10 onions onto a bit of string and hung them in the out house, cool, dark and slight air flow. This way the onions don't touch each other. I guess if you tied the onions into the tights, so that the knot held them apart (if that makes sence) it would stop them touching and reduce the chances o rot etc. The only problem is my out house smells really oniony at the moment and will for a couple of weeks before they are totoally dired!
Kate
Always thankful for advice!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 21:21 »
There's also loads of information about onions and other crops on the main website

http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/index.php
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Debz

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 09:32 »
Last year with the weather being so wet, I hung my onions on the clothes drier in the kitchen and then plaited their stems together.  Unfortunately I don't have a large garden so they were all used by January.

xx
maybe a silly question about onions

Started by ceri green on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 20, 2009, 17:22
by zazen999
xx
Courgette Growing-Pollination question(probably a silly novice type question!)

Started by Marcus10 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 30, 2012, 10:11
by compostqueen
xx
Very silly question!

Started by plot53b on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 15, 2012, 23:19
by Nikkithefoot
xx
Silly question...

Started by Lily on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 07, 2007, 00:01
by John

Page created in 0.508 seconds with 37 queries.