Black Fly

• 17 Replies

thetwinsmum

Black Fly
« on: July 07, 2010, 14:49 »
Hello,

I bought some 'Ultimate Bug Killer' spray from the Garden Center last year for use on my roses. I have just noticed that my parsnips & nastursiams are covered in blackfly in my raised bed.

I've looked on the instructions & it can be used to control blackfly but there is no mention of root crops - will it still be alright to use on them & how many treatments? You can use it on tomatoes, courgettes, fruit, lettuces etc - but no mention of parnips??

Please help as they appear really healthy at the moment  :(

Thank you

Paul Plots

Re: Black Fly
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 15:59 »
Blackfly on parsnips?

I have never seen parsnips plastered with blackfly. Maybe that's why parsnips rarely want to appear on my plot!!  :blink:

I think I would try a very hefty squirt with the hose before spraying with anything more than water.

I'm sure someone will know better though.  ;)

Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

thetwinsmum

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 20:27 »
Thanks Learner.

I've been back out to inspect the little visitors & I'm sure it is black fly. The nasturtium stems are absolutely covered & they seem to have bypassed the carrots but because the row of nasturtiums is quite sparse I think they've tried to find an alternative! & gone for the parsnips.

I've blasted them with the hose & I'll see how they appear over the next few days.  ::)

Thanks again  :)

sclarke624

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 22:17 »
I like nasturtiums but won't grow them anymore because they get smothered in black fly. I've heard  people have them so the black fly goes to them and leaves your other stuff alone, but I have my suspicions they attract them.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

Lottiegob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 22:49 »
We've got blackfly on every runner bean plant- never seen this before, yet climbing french beans have none. We have nasturtiums as companion plants but none have landed on those - curious :unsure:
I'm queen of my own compost heap and I'm getting used to the smell.

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 22:52 »
Thanks Learner.

I've been back out to inspect the little visitors & I'm sure it is black fly. The nasturtium stems are absolutely covered & they seem to have bypassed the carrots but because the row of nasturtiums is quite sparse I think they've tried to find an alternative! & gone for the parsnips.

I've blasted them with the hose & I'll see how they appear over the next few days.  ::)

Thanks again  :)

If this doesn't work try a dilute spray of washing up liquid.... they hate the stickiness and it discourages the ants from carrying them all over the place too!

kingdhesiii

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 23:14 »
I plant plenty of nasturtiums so that the black fly attack this and nothing else. Always wrks a treat.
Woooooooooooooo

thetwinsmum

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 13:26 »
Thanks everyone - I'm going to try the washing up liquid this evening.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 14:41 »
I can understand some aspects of companion planting like plants which repel certain insects (tagetes/whitefly), or even plants used to mask the smell of a neighbouring plant to avoid attracting pests (alliums/carrots) but I've never really "got" this nasturtium/aphid thing; although blackfly might well prefer nasturtiums to beans you have still created a huge, healthy aphid colony where there wasn't one before!

I've managed to get rid of them on runner beans using the washing up liquid routine but it's much more difficult when the colony has really got established.

Might be "run and hide" time now!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Pompey Spud

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 15:23 »
I planted Nasturtiams as well. Worked a treat as well.

No black fly on beans.

Plus i plant loads of marigolds as well...guess what...that works as well.
Top tip for camping....don't go.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 16:02 »
I have Nastutiams and marigolds :)....................and loads of blackfly on the runners  :mad:

Can somebody please tell them that they are not supposed to be there  ::)

S'ok...I only grow the flowers cos they is pretties..........I don't really expect them to
keep the flies away  :nowink:

Paul Plots

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 16:25 »
I have Nastutiams and marigolds :)....................and loads of blackfly on the runners  :mad:

Can somebody please tell them that they are not supposed to be there  ::)

S'ok...I only grow the flowers cos they is pretties..........I don't really expect them to
keep the flies away  :nowink:

Pretty? Pretty? Who has a lottie plot for pretty!!!  :blink:  :unsure:  ::)

Me  ;)
Nothing wrong with aesthetically pleasing in MHO  :)

ian.ford

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2010, 14:54 »
I have had the same problem with the blackfly on my parsnips and i spayed them with "Bugoff" and this done the job.

Maxine Groobey

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2010, 16:49 »
This is the first year I haven't had blackly on my broad beans, on closer inspection they all seem to be on my borage so maybe that's having the 'nasturtiums' effect! Don't understand it myself but hey, if it works don't knock it! :happy:

Salmo

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2010, 17:55 »
Provado Ultimate Bug Killer is a systemic insectacide i.e. one that is absorbed by the plants
and lasts for some time. If it is not listed for parsnips, either the manufacturers have not gone to the expense of testing or they have found a problem with it, such as tainting the roots. Either way it is not approved for use on parsnips.

If you do not succeed with washing off then try one of the pyrethroid based sprays such as Scotts Bug Clear which are contact action with little persistance. There are also various organic fatty acid based sprays on the market but I have no experience of them. Perhaps someone else has used them and can comment?

xx
Black Fly

Started by rob on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 07, 2008, 16:31
by rob
xx
Where are the black fly!!

Started by greenhead on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 09, 2011, 23:39
by viettaclark
xx
black fly

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 07, 2015, 16:58
by JayG
xx
black fly

Started by pauly58 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 21:53
by karen.linda

Page created in 0.462 seconds with 38 queries.