Sweet peppers: not quite what it said on the packet!

• 16 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Having given up trying to grow peppers outdoors I thought I'd try growing a few on the kitchen windowsill this year.

Cheapskate that I am, I went for Wilko's "Rainbow Mixed" which promised green, yellow, red (and even purple!) fruits with the familiar supermarket "box" shape.

This picture hopefully shows what I've actually got so far; all the fruits are pale yellow and a tapering shape; hard to see how they will finish up like the packet picture either in shape or colour (I was expecting them to go green-yellow-orange-red!)

Interesting!  :nowink:  Does anyone know what does happen to these as they ripen or have I got some completely alien plants in my kitchen?  :ohmy:
WOT sort of pepper.JPG
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
Re: Sweet peppers: not quite what it said on the packet!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 12:50 »
Did you not read the small print, knowing wilkos you have to paint them your self!!

Joking aside, in terms of color, it develops on ripening and it might be that they will cherry up with Time - though that’s usually green to yellow to red to purple rather then directly to yellow!

Also - in terms of shape i have found this can be to do with heat and humidity.  Me and my mate grew from the same packet of seeds (6 or 7 plants each), i got classic bell shaped (smaller then supermarket but the right shape) and he got longer ones like yours. 
Mine were a bit cooler in a green house, where as his were very hot on a very sunny windowsill glasshouse without much ventilation.

Duno - not an expert but just from what i have seen.
I hate signatures but love irony

madcat

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 13:52 »
Red sweet peppers that shape are horribly expensive in T*scos!  £1.30 for 2.  You and your expensive tastes!   :D
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

sclarke624

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 14:28 »
Think that a banana tree JayG.  LOL
I had some peppers from T&M once advertised as sweet, I don't like chillis at all, they grew beautifully, loads of them, and every one of them was hot.  I had my suspicions as the italian translated into something not sweet at all.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 14:36 »
Looks to me as if you have these instead  :lol:

They don't look as if they are going to turn red, they are too pale already  ::)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 14:43 »
Could be Mum, although what's happened to the green stage?  I thought they always started off green whatever happened next!  ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 15:15 »
Pass....next question?  :lol:

Irene

• Experienced Member
    • Idaho Gardening
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 15:29 »
I just love puzzles...

I found this link which has several photos of a Hungarian Yellow Wax, which gets hotter as it ages and is supposed to eventually turn red ...but there are several possibilities.

Had this same issue with a packet earlier this year, but it was still better than the packet of yellow toms that arrived nicely sealed...and empty.

http://dartmoorchillifarm.co.uk/chilli/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4_19_126

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 16:03 »
Soon as I saw the pic, I immediately thought banana peppers which are solely that elongated shape.
The yellows start off pale green and ripen to yellow. Reds start off green and ripen to red, or can be picked as green. Haven't grown the purple before so can't advise.
As for your glut of one colour, it's the luck of packaging that you picked more of one colour than a variety from your collection.

For outside growing, peppers need heat, so if you could make some sort of tall cloche for them which stays on, you should do well.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 16:54 »
Think that a banana tree JayG.  LOL
I had some peppers from T&M once advertised as sweet, I don't like chillis at all, they grew beautifully, loads of them, and every one of them was hot.  I had my suspicions as the italian translated into something not sweet at all.

I bought two pepper plants last year, well labelled, of the long expensive type, and was really excited when dozens of embryo peppers appeared. Trouble is they turned red while still small and by were they hot!!!!!!!!! I don't like chillies either, yuk, but my sister benefitted.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 18:19 »
Trillium, you may well have a point; never crossed my mind that individual plants might have individually coloured peppers. I've got two plants and the fruits are the same colour on both, but that could just be the luck of the draw. Needless to say there is no mention of that on the packet and of course they are a different shape as well!

Have checked out sweet banana peppers and they could be those, although it appears they too should start off green; mine haven't!

There is also a hot banana pepper (:ohmy:); I am in for an interesting and potentially painful experience sooner or later!

chrisjsmith

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 21:25 »
Red sweet peppers that shape are horribly expensive in T*scos!  £1.30 for 2.  You and your expensive tastes!   :D

I'm growing a test run from some of those seeds.  Might be cheaper than buying them if they aren't too dodgy hybrids.

Swing Swang

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 08:32 »
Just a thought - those plants look quite 'elongated' rather than the more compact and bushy plants that I tend to get. Is it down to the variety, or could the growing conditions have been improved? eg more light and less water? As I said, just a thought.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 08:52 »
Have just measured them SS and at 32" (and counting!) they are certainly not compact and haven't been pinched out, but they are nevertheless producing quite a few side shoots now.

They've not been overwatered or overfed and I have to say they could hardly look happier; it's just a question of what "they" actually are!  :unsure:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 13:30 »
The pointy peppers do grow tall like yours...I grew them last year  ;)

You know there is nothing wrong with them...they're just not what you thought you were buying  :lol:

xx
Sweet Peppers

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 21, 2007, 13:26
by FatGaz
xx
Sweet peppers

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 10, 2007, 21:49
by Trillium
xx
sweet peppers

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 11, 2021, 08:00
by Longshanks
xx
sweet peppers

Started by whinpin on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 26, 2014, 15:18
by Trillium

Page created in 0.525 seconds with 38 queries.